1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"On Friday 31st January 2020, at 23:00pm exactly, the UK left the EU. Some people say that at that precise moment, the faint sound of a slide whistle could be heard across the whole country. Others say it sounded more like a sad trombone. Yet others describe it as a brief, short pop. But however they heard it, everybody agreed that it was undeniably the sound of anticlimax."

adidan likes this.
  2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Please list three benefits that can be measured with a scientific method and are politically possible.

If you where to succeed at the above task either by accident or skill you would be the first leaver to do so.

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

1: Further deregulation of our financial markets allowing our esteemed bankers to operate more efficiently without any "checks and balances" red tape getting in the way.
    2: Control of British fishing waters so we don't need to eat imported Icelandic cod any more, I can't be the only one about to queue up down the docks to get nephrops, coley and monkfish?
    3: A return of British bendy bananas (measured scientifically in terms of radius) which are proven to be easier to eat.

adidan likes this.
  4. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

Sounded more like fireworks and partying in my street :thumb:

5. Nexxo

My wife and I had a really good meal in a nice local Romanian restaurant myself. Stuffed roasted peppers and chips (hand-cut on the premises, none of that frozen crap), followed by papanasi, which are like, oh my God! delicious balls of golden deep-fried cottage cheese and dough, covered in lashings of blackcurrant jam. And of course a big glass of red wine --Romanian measures: filled to the brim. Palinka for afters.

The brief moment that Brexit came up, the waitress (sister of the chef and owner) shrugged: "It's stupid. Everything will be more expensive for everybody". She is philosophical about it, because their business is booming, with local Eastern European immigrants and Brits alike, and if things go badly they can still move to 27 other countries where they could set up an equally successful, booming business. They've done it before. There are Eastern Europeans all over Europe, and their food would in high demand with the locals too. They have the skills, and they are prepared to work hard. As we left the full, bustling restaurant to stagger home, I watched them all busily cooking, serving, chatting with smiling customers as they always do. Unperturbed. Nothing has changed. And I had the strong feeling that the future, far from being recaptured by Leavers, in fact belongs to immigrants like them.

My own situation: NHS clinician, in a Migration Advisory Committee listed shortage occupation. The UK desperately needs more of my skills. We have more clinical demand than we can possibly cope with --6 month waiting lists, and we are working flat out. I am about 24 months from retirement. I still have my EU citizenship rights, and my wife keeps hers through me. Nothing has changed. We still have our future.

Perhaps if it has the skills and is prepared to work hard, the UK may yet have one, too.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I ain't usually one for nostalgia, but I don't think the bendy banana joke will ever cease to be funny.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The beauty of it was not only the complete missing of the point, but the overwhelming feeling of oppression it gave people. They really were furious with the idea.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those EU folk that get employed to do jobs British people won't do is a sign that, perhaps, the not-super-wealthy-people who thought Brexit would benefit them probably won't be working hard on anything but their complaining and xenophobia..

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

10. Nexxo

Well that's cynical. Correct, though. :p

Brexit seems to me fundamentally a philosophy of victimhood; of birth rights and entitlements denied. That doesn't really scan with the idea of getting off one's arse and working hard to achieve something.

At BBC Radio 4 Any Questions today, pro-Brexit politician argued that voters knew what they had voted for. A pro-Remain politician then asked people in the audience to raise their hand if they had read the Tory manifesto before voting recently. Only a few hands went up.

11. RedFlames

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

^ Could be right.

My 'typical Brexit voter' mum at one point said she doesn't see why the Northern Irish would have a problem just joining up with Ireland.

She couldn't understand it may be a tad more complicated than that.

Simples in and of mind. It's horrible having a self admittedly ignorant mother.

13. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

European Union supports member state, more on this shocking turn of events at eight!

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Even though it's unfair to expect sensible answers from people at 11pm, on a Friday, at the end of the month, I've got to say I'm finding the interviews the media conducted with people celebrating yesterday really entertaining.

Things like this...

15. RedFlames

This is why #thick was trending on twitter most of the day.

16. adidan

Yeah i heard things about vegetable shapes and having to take rules...

You know, still no idea even now.

17. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Serious question (asked in a non serious way), has anybody actually got one of those videos of someone at least making a coherent argument for Brexit? I really can't be bothered to try to find it myself as I do have an actual haystack and a needle to hand and feel it may be an easier and more productive task to throw the needle in and retrieve it.

18. Nexxo

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just wait until they find out that Wales exists:p

Nexxo likes this.
  20. adidan