1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Got any itches left to scratch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperHans123, 2 Feb 2020.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I'm always looking at my PC setup thinking, 'what next?' to improve things.
    Lately, I have upgraded the RAM, graphics card and cooling (All Be Quiet fans) and spent a long time ensuring the cables were as tidy as possible on the rear of the case.
    I also bought a small PWM fan hub to help with fan control/cable mgmt.
    I can honestly say that as of later this week when I add the last of the fans to above the PSU shroud, I will be completely happy with my setup.
    Of course, if I was a lotto winner or had access to more funds, things would change but given my current circumstances, this is about as good as it is going to get.
    Are you happy with your setup or do you always have 'itches to scratch'?

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Pretty happy with what I have overall, upgrading to an i7 8700, (non K as my board is H370), would give me a 12% bump in performance, which I can't see being worth it for the £180 or so for the i7.
    I do have an empty M.2 slot on my dual M.2 ITX board, which is looking for a 1TB NVMe drive when I have the moneys.
    My GTX 970 is holding up fine, running a 27" 1080p monitor. I would like a 144Hz with Freesync at some point, which would then trigger the need for a GTX 1070 to achieve the Freesync-ness.
    Somewhat left field would be the J-Hack M2427 power adaptor that replaces the bulky 24 pin cable from a Corsair SF450/600 to the board.
    It uses 7 shorter and less bulky 12v cables to a Pico PSU type board to create the 3.3 and 5v while passing the 12v direct to the board

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'd quite like a monitor upgrade (fancy a 1440p ultrawide) but to be honest my current monitor (Dell U2412M) is lovely and works perfectly. Other than that I'm very happy with my setup - I have funds for upgrading, but nothing I feel like buying. It's quite nice just to enjoy what you have rather than worrying about what you could have.

d_stilgar and Omnislip like this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Happy for now.

Next will be a gpu and some backup type thingy.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

For me, other than a GPU upgrade at some point in the future, I'd still love to give full watercooling a go. I have both CPU and GPU cooled by AIOs but really that's the next leap for me. Cost and lack of time means that I'll be waiting a while yet I would guess too.

d_stilgar likes this.
  6. creative

creative 500rwhp

I want to upgrade ... then I price it up to have something similar to what I have now.... and the idea soon goes out the window. lol

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I want to change the case and cooling solution.

At present I have a standard AMD cooler, 1600 so nothing fancy.

I want to swap to a Define R6 USB-C (From an aging Lian Li A10-B), and renew all the fans (Corsair ..somethings, pre RGB nonsense), a Corsair H100i..X..Z.. Something.

Largely for fan filters, because the A10-B doesn't have any, nor any way to neatly add some.

I have been thinking about the PSU, too, as having retired all the spinning rust drives I'm only using one of the GPU powers, one SATA chain, and the motherboard power cables. Somehow I suspect a 1kw PSU is way, way, over the top. Could stand to go down to a 750 I imagine. Maybe even a 650.

Oh, and monitor. I have a 2408 Dell, and I want a 27", or there abouts, with the.. Whatever the one between UHD and Full HD is. QHD? I'm looking at various monitors, but it's all a myriad of specs and features that I've no frame of reference for because my monitor is so very old.

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Always have itches to scratch with cases. That's my kryptonite. I've been looking for a new case for nearly 2 years now and nothing seems to meet my requirements whilst having the looks/style that I'm searching for. It's really starting to bug me now!

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Eugh, tell me about it. The R6 is my compromise, but finding one that ticks all my boxes is proving impossible.

10. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

My last major upgrade (AMD 2600 and a 1070 led me to retire the Dan case and move back to the n case.

Works fine but my god she is loud!

My next itches are to revisit cooling and undercoating both GPU and CPU.

d_stilgar likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Nope.

There is no other tat that will even fit in my pc. I did it all last year for that reason lol.

Upgrading for me is a serious nightmare, and I dread it with fear rather than enjoying it. I did that on purpose to stop me wasting money on side grades and made it a right pita to put me off.

I was doing so well too lol.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

No and got more itches than a dog with mange...

...but no funds to scratch any of them so, what do it matter?

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I have always desperately wanted a legitimate reason to need what's basically a home supercomputer - with the current flavour of the month probably a 64-core threadripper and half a TB of RAM. Never really yearned for a crazy GPU setup, just CPU grunt for some reason.

Sadly/fortunately even the 9980HK in the lappy is overkill for 80% of what I get up to.

I also have a Pro Display XDR itch, but I'm 90% certain that after the initial shinies wear off I'll be wondering what on earth I was thinking.

My next upgrade will most likely be a networking one: UDM Pro, Unifi DC PSU, maaaaybe the new NVR, Gen2 US-Pro-48, and probably another 16-XG switch depending on the layout of whatever house I end up moving to eventually.

d_stilgar and SuperHans123 like this.
  14. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I have got the Lian Li Lancool One.
    Great case but watching Jayz2Cents review today looks like they have improved on all aspects with this 2nd iteration.

Arboreal likes this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Thought you hated RGB?

Lancool one is a fantastic case but the chassis metal is very thin indeed. Not a problem once you've built it but I had a fan screw literally pop out lol. Once it was all built though it looked lovely, and was very well laid out and thought out too.

16. Vault-Tec

I like it. It's very stimulating. Kinda like watching tropical fish.

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

[​IMG]

Just about the only things I'd keep are my cpu block and Aquearo. :hehe:

adidan likes this.
  18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Irrational itch - if someone makes a MiniITX Z390 board with onboard 10GbE, I'll likely yield to the shinyshiny part of my hindbrain.

Regardless, I am sorely tempted to shoehorn one of these into my Ncase M1:

[​IMG]

The extra PCIE 4X slot will take a 10gig NIC.

It will fit, but the PSU fitment will be a tad compromised. I mean, it's nothing a wee bracket wouldn't fix, but still...

Is it worth it? Don't be daft.

Will it salve the itch? Yup... at least until the next one comes along.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2020
    adidan and Arboreal like this.
  19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That's a proper itch for an M1.
    It PSU mounting for that beastie as simple as using the ATX front mount with a Silverstone offset SFX adaptor plate??

Hoping that B550 ITX boards have dual M.2 slots that work... Not that I have filled the second slot on my Strix H370i. Sights set on Corsair's 960GB MP510 as mentioned earlier.
    I have an irrational attraction to the ASRock B450M Steel Legend for a final mATX build, which I don't need

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Nope! Think you'd need a custom bracket.