1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ LANpak - Carbon Fiber Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by InsolentGnome, 27 Nov 2018.

1. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

I thought about something like that. I was thinking along the lines of using a half piece of 3/4" hardline as an outer sleeve. I kept coming back to the fact that it would be easier to just buy extra fittings and run the tubing differently than try to make something like that. So I wanted to at least try the anti-kink coils since that would be the easiest and cheapest route. And they worked pretty well, I just kept the coils bunched up tight and forced the turn to be long enough not to kink.

2. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

So to fix my kinking problem, I picked up a couple packages of anti-kinking coils, one clear, one black just in case I wanted an option.

[​IMG]

I kept the coils pretty tight around the areas that wanted to kink, hoping that the extra turns would keep the tube from flattening out and also keep the radii of the bends just long enough to not want to kink.

[​IMG]

And it seems to work. I went ahead and added the coil in a couple more spots. Some that were close to being a tight bend and some where the tubing was close to rubbing on hardware, to act as a spacer so jostling it over time wouldn't wear a hole in it.

Next up was plugging the pump in. I only had SATA power available so I had to get an adapter for molex to male SATA. Not a bad little adapter, small and should be quite useful for hooking pumps up. But amazingly, after scouring my shop, I couldn't find a black molex connector. Oh well.

[​IMG]

And everything is plugged in. The coils look like they're working and don't really look too bad. Let's see what blows up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welp, no leaks, no shorts, it boots, and everything seems to be working! I do think I'll have to play around with the color of the LED's a bit. Find a spot were they all agree on the shade of green they want to be. But I'm happy! Just need to close it all up, get some final shots and it's ready for it's trip to CA.

Thanks for following along and thanks to my sponsors again. They have provided some awesome products that make this project what it is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  3. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

And finals finally. I was gonna wait to do them at NVIDIA's studio cause they'll have better lighting, but I need to get them done so here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for following along and keep an eye out for the GeForce Garage video hopefully sometime this summer!

And thanks to my sponsors who I couldn't have done this without:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec, lowfat, Cheapskate and 2 others like this.
  4. Mizuwari

Mizuwari In vino veritas

Lovely jetpack! :rock:
    How much does it weigh?

5. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

The porter is applied? :jawdrop:

6. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Just under 24 pounds.

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Holy eff that is a lot bigger than I thought it was.

8. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Bigger than I was originally looking for. Wound up the size of a Meshify C or around that. But there is a ton of empty/open space. Be cool to do a modified version that's just the center section. Be an interesting case shape.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Incredible :eek:

InsolentGnome likes this.
  10. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

that's the best results of DIY carbon fiber fabrication Ive seen in PC modding to date... Normally people skimp on the final finish, but yours looks perfect. Well done, Dave.

11. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks guys!

12. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Very impressive work - I like it so far! Only drawback for me is that you painted over all the CF on the front.. Would have looked extra cool and more expensive had you had the original CF. But I like the angles a lot too :)
    Mod on, man!!

13. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Thanks! Yeah, unfortunately the shape of the front doesn't work well with CF. Would have had to seam it, so I decided to paint. It let me cover some imperfections and I think the paint will stand up better over time.