1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I want to see more Threadripper-specific liquid coolers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 14 Feb 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Custom is the way to go, plenty of blocks about for TR4, it is easy to cool your compute cards and VRMs etc in same loop, AIOs are a bit limiting.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Custom loop is not much more than a good AIO, it is pump, rad, res, block, some tubing and connectors, once done you have it for years then as you just change out CPU/GPU block as you change hardware rather than having to buy an all new AIO, total cost of ownership works out much cheaper over lifetime or at least that has been my experience.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

There is also the Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360, ML280 and ML240 TR4 edition, but those are even rarer to see than the other options. Personally, i still use the NH-U14S on my 2950x, and probably go back to mainstream because of the rather poor cooler options for HEDT.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That.

A couple of years ago I performed an experiment.

240mm Water cool HSF2 radiator.
    Monsoon chainguns on sale (19 od)
    Bay Res (new but sh)
    Chinese pump
    SH ek block

It cost me £130, about the same as an AIO. I then had it running for 18 months 24/7 and the pump held up great. I'd already taken it apart to find the inside parts were all ceramic (bearings and shaft).

You don't need to do your nuts on water cooling.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

's what when you want to be Super Uber Secret about upcoming products and don't provide OEMs with design documentation in a timely manner (or redact it and miss out important things like die layout. Or change power and frequency specs right before release). After being thrown a curve ball by AMD with both TR4 and AM4, I suspect manufacturers are justifiably wary and prefer to wait until they actually have final shipping hardware in hand before starting work (e.g. nobody would want to release an AIO supposedly compatible with 3rd gen Threadripper, only to find the dies were actually not where they were expected to be and have to produce a revision, losing both money and customer confidence. Again).

7. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I'm looking forward to Icegiant ProSiphon Elite coming out later this year.

8. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

I have a custom loop for my 3960X. 2 rads handling the CPU only. 1 x 360mm and 1 x 280mm. Temps at stock rarely get to 70°C. I previously used a single 360mm radiator and temps would touch 80°C.

Tags: Add Tags