1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education How much does Amazon know?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 18 Feb 2020.

1. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

For those that are so inclined, shouldn't you be more concerned about what Google know?

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You can replace Amazon/Google with an awful lot of companies I feel to get a similar result :D

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Its fun to open the network section in your browser debug tools, compose an email in GMail and watch a network request shoot off to Google with every single key stroke you make. The amount of traffic theirs servers handle must be off the charts.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Not if your PiHole is configured correctly...

liratheal likes this.
  5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Talking about Google...

They have announced new terms now for the UK.
    Basically the changes boil down to "All your data belongs to Murica now because Brexit"

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Amazon & world + dog to follow in 3...2...1...

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think for most people, how careful you need to be with your data is more dictated by how trustworthy your government is, rather than corporations.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Late to the party but just watched it this morning. I'd trust a private company with this data over the government, who are liable to leave it on a train.

I thought the program was pretty biased towards "ooo watch out for the amazon boogeyman". Like the welsh man who clearly didn't understand the contract he had with his manufacturer and is somehow surprised that when he tried to take his business elsewhere they just cut him out. Nothing to do with Amazon.

A lot of it comes across as jealousy that a man understood that knowing your customer is key and data collection is the holy grail. If you've ever worked in a pub with regulars, you know know what they drink and if you were a good barman you'd see them coming in and have their pint on the counter before they've reached it (distance dependant). If you were and ever better barman you'd know their expression and their intent on the length of first sip, so might have another ready for them before they've finished their first, because you know they're going to another quick. From experience, from memories, from data you had collected. Amazon is just doing that, but on a massive global scale.

Take the drawing stuff i just ordered. I put in my basket the pens, pencils, compass and drawing board. Amazon suggested i might want to by a set of big set squares and while i hadn't thought of it, i wouldn't "need" them as the board came with a 45 and a variable angle ruler, they were both on the short side and i would indeed want some. I also suggested an eraser and pencil sharpener and seeing as my pencil case is currently AWOL and whether they'd be in there is questionable, yes they can come too. Do I want some felt pens to go with the fineliners? Not for now thanks, but they can go in the wishlist of doom, along with the many, many, many tools.

If Argos had been collecting data on customers all these years they'd be in a similar position, but they didn't think of it and they're suggested items are often so wide of the mark they're in a different country.

I don't understand what people think is going to happen with this data that scares them so much?
    [​IMG]
    This isn't pinky and the brain, they're not going to try to take over the world, just any retail space and niche imaginable, but that's just capitalism at work. Amazon have spent a looong time and a lot of money collecting this data, they're not about to go selling it to anyone else. If you're scared of "the authorities" of getting hold of it, why? What have you been doing that they'd be interested in? If you're worried it can't be anything good. So stop it. Naughty boy.

What I wouldn't have is stuff like the doorbells, as I think they're bollocks anyway and a good sign for crooks you're not in and things like smart door locks. But that's just more not liking their function and concept in general than an Amazon specific thing. On the topic of the doorbells, that guy going on about we have to be careful we don't end up in a surveillance state.... Yeh, cause there's not already a camera round every corner.

Your data is already everywhere people. With Amazon, eBay, AliExpress for god's sake! Your ISP, your mobile provider, your bank, your email provider, even this very forum! Don't worry about it, there are people that are paid to worry about it and look after it. Chances are some with get stolen, or sold because you didn't check and/or uncheck the right marketing boxes when agreeing to some t's&c's (which I did when getting my new phone and have been inundated with cold calls the last couple of weeks), but in all honesty who cares. It's not going to kill you, or harm you, at most it's a minor inconvenience.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Strange, when I order something (for instance, a camera) it never suggests anything usefull (hey, you'll want a lens cleaner, a filter etc.) but only Hey, you want to buy another camera? the same camera? a different camera?

I seriously doubt the AI works actually :grin:

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My favourite is when it recommends Subscribe & Save - sign up to automated shipments of stuff like toothpaste and bogroll in exchange for a small discount - on completely unsuitable items. Like rechargeable batteries. The chargers for rechargeable batteries. Fridges and TVs...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think some of that is up-selling, but yes it's often wide of the mark.

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I like when Big Clive disassembles and subsequently slates something, only for YouTube to try and advertise it to me.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Pfft you don't get a new TV every week?

Pauper!

:D

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Got the email today and downloaded 31 zip files. Mostly spreadsheets, the two search records run to 1000s of lines but, as far as I can see and given I have never used Alexa, there is bugger all to worry about Amazon knowing. No surprise there but, I suppose some will still baulk at the volume of entries retained.

adidan likes this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye, I imagine Alexa and Ring data probably would turn those 1000s of lines into 10s of 1000s of lines.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Ring, something else we don't use. Always strikes me as a good way of informing burglars that you are out.

The_Crapman and adidan like this.
  17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

"Alexa, add Grana Padano to shopping list"

[​IMG]

GeorgeK and adidan like this.
  18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Can't get enough of that rocky potassium goodness.

"Alexa also add dentures to the shopping list"

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Tungsten carbide ones, so they don't wear out!

adidan likes this.
  20. Jangalit

Jangalit What's a Dremel?

Quick! Everybody go search random things on amazon to confuse the algorithm