1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Must vary. I know that Intel CPUs are covered as Gunny says.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Translation
    Hi. Now we both know you've plugged in some headphones, but we also know that they're not ones we earn any sort of licensing/certification fee from, so we're gonna have to say no. We're not going to be letting you use them even though there's no technical reason why they won't work and would do if we wanted, but we don't.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2020
  3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What's the deal, Crapman?

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

@The_Crapman what phone is that on? I'm on a Nokia 7.1 Android One (10) and it has no issues with any type of headphone.

Odd.

5. The_Crapman

Well at first i thought it was because of this:
    Use recommended accessories
    If headphones say 'Made by Google' or 'Made for Google', we certified that they work with Pixel phones. Other digital audio accessories can also work with Pixel phones. Find accessories on the Google Store.

A bit of further digging it seems that the pixel 4 won't accept headphones using a usb-c to 3.5mm adapter, only wireless or direct to usb-c:

Option 3: Plug in headphones or speakers
    If you plug headphones or speakers into your phone, sound plays through the accessory.
    • Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL (2019)
      Use audio accessories with USB-C connections.
    • Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL (2019)
      Use audio accessories that have USB-C connections or 3.5-mm jacks.
    Every time i start to like this phone it does something to really piss me off.

6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Been having some persistent issues with my phone so much so last night I bit the bullet and upgraded to the iPhone 11

I'm working today and my partner is home so I said "If you're home, its coming today, I'd really appreciate you waiting for it but don't let it interfere with your day if you have plans" Got the delivery window through and she was absolutely fine about receiving the delivery for me, assured me she'd be home, even plug it in to charge prior to me coming home. she had zero plans about going out and in the past I'd written off entire days to receive similar parcels for her (mainly out of fear for my life!) cushty.

She's missed the delivery...... despite knowing when it was coming, being within reasonable distance of home she's still missed it. She even called me from the shops (literally a stones throw from home) when I reminded her of the delivery time "yep I'm on my way home in a minute" 15 minutes into the delivery window....

I now can't be annoyed because I gave her the green light when it actual fact I'm pretty miffed.... If I'd done the same my life wouldn't be worth living.

FirstWorldProblems and all that...

The_Crapman and MLyons like this.
  7. The_Crapman

That would piss me right off. Some poor inanimate object would likely take the flack.

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

If you haven't already, try using https://do-it.org/ to apply for volunteering positions - it's a national volunteering database that tends to have a good number of organisations from all over the place recruiting on there.
    If you put in your postcode, click on the drop-down list to confirm the correct one and then search, it'll show you all the charities/groups in a 10 mile radius that are currently recruiting on there. You can narrow down the searches but it's more worthwhile to just trawl through the results in case anyone's mislabelled their volunteering opportunities.

I work in the voluntary sector in Cornwall, so feel free to pop me a message if you want to talk to someone in the sector or to see if there's any way I can help.

boiled_elephant, Hex and adidan like this.
  9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

• Shut down my fileserver this afternoon due to electrical work scheduled.
    • Said work does not take place due to my house being on a looped* supply, and my neighbour being out at work.
    • Attempt to restart fileserver & absolutely nothing happens. Supply line ok, so suspect deceased PSU.
    • No PC shops in area and Curry's no longer stocks any useful parts whatsoever.

*Power comes into my house from street & then across to neighbour.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That is just a big bag of wnk.

perplekks45 likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If I recall correctly, that's 'cos routing analogue audio over USB Type-C is an optional feature. You should be able to get around it by using a USB Type-C DAC rather than a mechanical adapter - that shows up as a USB Type-C "soundcard," effectively, and takes digital audio from the phone.

Or do what I did, and buy a phone with a proper 3.5mm jack. (Then use it near-exclusively with Bluetooth headphones...)

12. The_Crapman

Thanks for that. I'll grab one of those or find some headphones with usb-c. My current ones are near their end, with joints worn and split, but was hoping to stretch them out till they started acting up. I do have some Bluetooth headphone somewhere, but i watch a lot of stuff on pootube and Bluetooth is terrible for sound synchronisation and when the sound is out i just want to gouge my eyes out and shove spikes in my ears.

13. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Thank you! I actually have used that :) Not much in walking distance apart from millions of shops and the Food Bank which I've applied to! The Food Bank bugs me as they put out a message saying how desperate they were about a week after I applied :( I'm hoping the situation with this one shop, in particular, is on its way to sorted now. It turns out one of my references never got the emailed form, why they didn't try calling him or checking with me I have no idea. So they sent it to him again, he confirmed he got it and.... as far as I know still hasn't sent it in due to various reasons. But hopefully, one day, they will get a second reference that says I'm not a thief...

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Look for headphones that support aptX, it's a low latency Bluetooth audio protocol. I'd hope the Pixel 4 supports aptX...

15. The_Crapman

Well my solicitor is retarded/sloppy. Having to do her job for her and point out glaring discrepancies like obs recording pain as 'none' then giving me oramorph and 'no nausea' being checked on discharge despite having to be given cyclizine and ondansetron to stop me from being sick. Kind of makes me think they haven't really read the notes or my very thorough timeline.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2020
  16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Natwest still being Natwest...

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sort of related: I swear my Sony Xperia deliberately A) messes up volume settings with non-Sony wired headphones B) adds a delay to non-Sony Bluetooth headphones.

The_Crapman likes this.
  18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Aw, was kinda hoping the ferry might be cancelled due to the high winds. Oh well, pointless meeting, here I come.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This is so annoying to me. I have several very high quality wired headphones and I see no reason to buy new headphones because of Apple's decision to get rid of 3.5mm headphone connections to increase sales of their Bluetooth headphones. Why the rest of the industry followed? No bloody idea.

The_Crapman likes this.
  20. veato

veato I should be working

Forza 7 A.I. drives me crazy. If I wanted a first corner pile-up I'd play multiplayer! I was hoping single player would avoid such nonsense.