1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

Our last 'occasional' chair for the lounge had been absolutely shredded by the cats and it was starting to fall apart. The second-hand Ikea jobby we bought to replace it died within a couple of weeks when the wood split. So we got a new recliner. It's not the highest quality in the world - it was from Amazon, not a furniture store! - but it is an electric recliner...

[​IMG]

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Face furnishings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been wearing glasses more for the last couple of years - started getting headaches with contacts, sorted the headaches with some different lenses but got used to wearing specs more anyway.

But my current pair are around 13 years old and while my prescription is unchanged, I'm kinda embarrassed to leave the house with the state they're in. And given the state of how I leave the house sometimes that's saying something.

Yaka and Arboreal like this.
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

One of my first memories of waking up from a coma is my bed moving up and down and my friend Riath mumbling "bed goes up, bed goes down".

Yaka, IanW, Arboreal and 2 others like this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Sounds like a story mate.

The coma that is, not your friends love of The Simpsons.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

My life is a never ending fight against gravity. It's definitely a catch-weight competition.

adidan likes this.
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice, I had a new pair of specs the other week, Hugo Boss @ Specsavers. Been wearing glasses for 38 years, and my prescription is still on the move. Oddly one eye has become more short sighted at an age where it should be lengthening. I going to need some dedicated readers soon; without glasses I can see sharply at about 20cm, and much either side is blurry. That or try varifocals, which aren't a guaranteed win.

7. Mister_Tad

My wife got glasses last week for the first time in her life, at 37. Barely any correction in them, but she's been getting eye-strain headaches with long working hours the last few weeks, and they've been helping. I'm nearly at the point where I'm going to need different correction for up close, which I'm kinda bummed out about. All part of nearing 40. Woo.

Mine (and hers) were specsavers as well - BOGOF, two pairs for just under £200 by the time the anti-reflective coating was on both of them.
    I'm sure the last time I bought specs it was nearly £500 for the one pair, which is part of the reason I've been hanging on to them a long as possible. If I would have realised there was no need to spend nearly that much I probably would have replaced them sooner.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

:jawdrop:
    How much of that £500 was the frame and how much the lenses? I have terrible eyes (-7.5) so my specs are like the bottom of milk bottles unless I pay £lots to have them thinned down. The last pair I bought were about £250 and almost all of that cost was for thinning the lenses. I recall that there were three levels of thinning available and I went for the middle one, but the most expensive option was another £150 or so which was just too rich for my blood :D

I should really get some new glasses soon. My prescription has been stable for years but my old glasses have seen (no pun intended) better days and I'm not able to wear contacts nearly as often as I used to.

9. Mister_Tad

Inorite?

I think it was slightly more for the lenses than the frames. The frames were more than I would have liked, but I had a hell of a time finding something that suited, so it was what it was (conversely this time around, had a hard time picking between loads of different ones that were really nice). The lenses were then super expensive on account of the frame design, which was bottomless and quite wide and thin, so in order for them to not be really thick on the sides in spite of my modest -3.0, needed to be the thin and light, but then for them to also be strong enough for the bottomless frames, had to be some other exotic unobtanium. Either that or I was totally taken for a ride.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm not looking forward to my first pair of glasses. They sound horribly expensive.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Sounds like someone upsold you big time ;)

Don't know about how much these things cost wherever you currently are, but glasses really don't have to cost loads - you can get frames for very reasonable prices if you don't want anything overly fancy or "designer" and the lenses themselves are really cheap unless you either need them super thin (only really an issue for strong prescriptions) or specially shaped to fit your fancy frame.

To put it in perspective: you can get a pair of specs for under £50 all in, no bother.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sadly, I have expensive taste. And a thing for titanium.

Ahwell, hopefully I won't need them for a while yet.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

As low as £20 if you have a bog-standard prescription, don't want fancy coatings, and don't mind waiting for a sale. Oh, and aren't fussy about what frames you wear.

I bought a pair last month from the incredibly shonky-looking Specs-By-Post: £31 for the frames, £12 for a hard anti-reflective coating on the standard lenses, £4.40 shipping for a £47.50 total. They arrived two days later. Can't fault that!

These 'uns, in fact:

upload_2020-2-22_14-3-20.png

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I made the mistake of taking my 13 year old (fashion victim) daughter with me to get my eyes tested. Despite my prescription not changing again (same for last 15 years), it cost me £400 for 2 pairs with titanium frames and a pair of Superdry prescription sunnies because "you need to look smarter daddy".

Watching the rugby right now with my 8 year old, chipped titanium "favourites", damn comfy.

Yaka likes this.
  15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I'll be getting mine online, be looking at about £160 for "designer" brand Titanium ones or can go up a notch an chuck in some exotic carbon etc. An that's with my -6.5 eyes, ultra thin with coatings an a blue light filter.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Made by a Franco-Dutch firm, oh the irony.

Yaka likes this.
  18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Passports are self funded, the passport office has a duty to get the best price it can on the open market.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

And the government has a duty to secure the best trade partnerships for the country, but they plan to sell our souls to Darth Cheeto instead.

Oh why ****ing bother

20. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I heard they were made in Poland...