1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews EKWB Magnitude CPU Waterblock Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 28 Feb 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Great vid. Lots of thoughts on them. First I really like the looks of these and I'm not generally a fan of ek blocks, but the price is INSANE! I would argue that the mounting on Watercool Heatkiller blocks is also part of their aesthetic, a more brutalist industrial aesthetic, but one that I'm particularly fond of. I'm not entirely sure that the part in the middle that helps channel the water will have a particular impact on cooling performance in changing it for different CPU styles, I would have thought that be more dependent on the jet plate and cooling engine. That middle section is really just there to direct water out properly, making sure the coolant doesn't flow through one side more than the other. I see dev doge hiding in the background. Looking forward to see the bench build series and what custom stuff you come up with. I need those qdc in my life. Not sure what for but I want some anyway. lol

3. The_Crapman

Very detailed and interesting response from Joe Robey at EK:

Hi Andy, the Insert is what allowed us to gain such a significant surface area because the coolant can return over the top of the cooling engine rather than around the sides, this is quite novel and it definitely contributes to overall performance. Together with the uneven fin:channel ratio of the coldplate the flow path of the insert allows Magnitude to achieve such high thermal performance with far less restriction as direction changes are minimized. After that point the main factor in extracting all of the performance is contact with the IHS. The insert, jet plate and coldplate are all used together to make that work. The insert provides strength to the plexi/acetal versions as it always made from solid brass and as Alex described the coldplate is curved so that it does not need to be stressed in the assembly.
    There are variations in the insert between each socket, they all have a slightly different contact patch with the jet plate so that the mounting pressure is shifted based on the CPU dies. And quite visibly the AM4 version is asymmetrical to direct peak flow over the chiplets. All of this is what contributes to the cost, with so many unique parts for each version and all of them made in relatively small numbers from solid material it's a lesson in how not to reduce costs and that was precisely the intention. We are not trying to replace Velocity or even overlap with special Velocities (like Strike). We had such a beautiful design as a starting point that it deserved everything we could feasibly do with it!

perplekks45 likes this.
  4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'd love to see temps for a 10980XE @ 4.7+ GHz.

This response is pretty detailed and while I can't check the validity, it sounds like there might be something behind it that's not just marketing.

5. The_Crapman

Techpowerup have a full review of current blocks which seems to back it up. Will be interesting to see how BT finds it compares to other blocks. I'd like to see a test with lapped blocks and cpu. *Cough @MLyons get sanding cough*

Last edited: 29 Feb 2020
    perplekks45 likes this.
  6. perplekks45

Cheers, will check out their review.

Lapping the CPU, testing it with different coolers (not the A500, mind) and then slapping together a nice custom build. Sounds like March is already sorted out for the BT boys. :naughty:

MLyons likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

$199 for a block to fit my 2070, or £169 in the UK.

That's very, very expensive.

Bitspower are cheaper now.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We're taking watercooling testing to a whole new level. This is V0.5 of the rig. V1 is done and already gives us more options. V2 will let us test any part of a loop... automatically... over any amount of runs we want... and make fancy graphs. OC and WC content is well and truly in the works.

The_Crapman likes this.
  9. The_Crapman

Get one of those fancy lapping machines kingpin has. :thumb:

10. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

something something walk before running

11. The_Crapman

Sod that, go straight into base jumping! Ha ha

12. perplekks45

I love fancy graphs.

The_Crapman likes this.
  13. MLyons

Here are some very early ALPHA graphs from the suite using my laptop
    xkcd-gpu-temps.png xkcd-cpu-gpu-temps.png xkcd-cpu-clock.png xkcd_gpu_clocks.png

perplekks45 and The_Crapman like this.
  14. perplekks45

15. MLyons

as I said. Alpha. The newer version shows the min, average and max clock speeds across the cores.

16. perplekks45

Going into early access when?

17. MLyons

As soon as I've setup my offshore bank account. Hopefully next waterblock video

perplekks45 likes this.
  18. Sn3akr

Sn3akr What's a Dremel?

With the price for a coolerblock with 1 ekstra frame in a preferred color being the same as the price for a PS4 slim, it's just gotten stupidly expensive..

Fortunately a lot of competition is showing up. I get the feeling that EKWB is aiming for becoming the most expensive.. and with their heavy premium pricing, I've completely stopped using their parts, as their performance and finish isn't that much better than their competition, i just think they've been alone on the market for too long, and assumes noone would ever abandom them for competition.
    265€ for a nickelplated top is just plain stupid.. and overengineered, just to be able to sell small aluminium rings at an insane markup.

If it was 20-30 celsius below competition, then maybe.. I could consider, but for this.. just nope, i don't love to throw away my money that much.

19. Diletta Graziosi

Diletta Graziosi What's a Dremel?

it's expansive for sure, i like the desing but i prefer the velocity ones

20. Jangalit

Jangalit What's a Dremel?

great video, really informative

Tags: Add Tags