1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seasonic launches new Prime Fanless PSUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 3 Mar 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Be good if you can get your hands on one and give it a review.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Does your case have a PSU mount where the space-where-the-fan-would-go can face up and out of the case? If so, you can put in a fanless PSU no problem. If the fan-hole can only face down, then a fanless PSU is not a good choice.

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I had one of their previous fanless PSU. Love it, but I think their hybdrid design is the better options. I have read, but not confirmed, that Seasonic under rated the fansless PSUn order to ensure their reliability under full load, i.e. a supply rated to 400W fanless could push more power with active cooling (I don't recall how much more). The issue is that most computer use cases don't draw max power for extended periods of time, thus the hybrid design allows for hardware that is not oversized (cheaper) and will actively cool only when required.

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I'd look at Seasonic's Focus Plus series, offers the hybrid fan control, including full off. As for cables I don't know about custom jobs but Seasonic sells extras and replacements through a partner site: https://www.btosinte.com/Cables-for-PS2-power-supply_c7.htm

Edit:
    While double checking the URL worked, I noticed that BTOS Integration does do custom lengths and connector counts.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

^^This^^ Unless you're going for a fully passive under load system the hybrids are a better option.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Custom PSU cables are very much a niche product, no point offering them for anything but the most popular PSUs.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

There are people who will do custom cables for PSUs.
    Pexon pcs should be able to do whatever you'd like I believe.

cobalt6700 likes this.
  9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

What he said. My NH-D15 will always spin a little, so will the fans on my graphics card. Even though I can get my system to be almost silent, the power draw is just to high to go passive. I think that's true for most halfway gaming-focussed builds.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you use high quality fans and run them at low rpm you can easily sleep right next to them anyway.

11. frack

frack What's a Dremel?

fanless is nice, but will it be worth it to use in a gaming pc?

Diletta Graziosi likes this.
  12. Diletta Graziosi

Diletta Graziosi What's a Dremel?

most of the time with my Prime titanium the fan are not moving att all, so it could be a nice idea, seasonic knows hot to do good psu, my question is, is it Worth it? i mean the fan is really quiet, so i can trade a little bit of noise for more longevity all day

you got the point

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Mar 2020
  13. Hardware_Numb3rs

Hardware_Numb3rs What's a Dremel?

With the right components yes, I have a Seasonic 520W fanless and paired with a low noise GPU like the 5600XT or the 1660s youcan build. a pretty nice living room gaming machine, also as a home theater

14. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

High end gaming machine probably no, but there are people and companies attempting to build passively cooled high end systems who'd like a fanless PSU. Other applications such and a office, HTPC, etc are better suited for fanless PSUs and it will make a difference. I acknowledge that for office and HTPC one is unlikely to be using a high end 700W Seasonic PSU.

A high quality fan is low noise indeed but it is not 100% silent. Having built a computer with no moving parts, there is a noticeable deference between very silent and zero noise. Interestingly I did not put my 400W fanless PSU in to my HTPC, but my main rig.

15. frack

frack What's a Dremel?

it is probably a little more "niche" market for particular applications, you are right :)

yes but considering power efficency... the power supply dissipates at least 50-60 watts... it's not a proper joke to do this...

Seriously?? :O

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Mar 2020
  16. Diletta Graziosi

absolutely, the seasonic Platform is very efficient, and the heat produced is well dissipated by the internal heatsinks

17. frack

frack What's a Dremel?

how is it healthy for a supply power to work at higher temperatures... well this is a different story

Diletta Graziosi likes this.
  18. Diletta Graziosi

in fact is not, that's why i Always prefer to have the fans, now it's winter, but during intense workload in summer it will for sure come handy.

19. frack

frack What's a Dremel?

it's a good reason to go to beach during the summer :p

20. ooey

ooey What's a Dremel?

PSUs should ALWAYS have a fan.

Tags: Add Tags