1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 2070 vs 2070 Super (air test) then 2070 VS Titan XP (water)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 5 Mar 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK so phase one is complete. Just figured I would do this for any one considering the cheap 2070s doing the rounds right now. Mine was £365.

Test setup is as follows, this is the AIR test not the water test.

X99 Godlike gaming
    16gb quad channel DDR4 2666
    16 core Haswell Xeon @ 2.4ghz

KFA2 2070 Super OC - clocked to 1965mhz
    Asus 2070 Dual Advanced Evo - clocked to 1900mhz (hard lock)

Nothing has changed here apart from the GPU. Both using the new driver.

[​IMG]

2070 Super results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2070 Dual Advanced Evo results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TBH it was a lot closer than I thought it would be.

Next week I will be testing the 2070 under water VS my Titan XP. Though do note, that will be a in a different rig with a Threadripper. I shall add the results as and when.

adidan and Guest-44638 like this.
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think your CPU may be bottle necking it so its not showing the true difference.

3. Vault-Tec

Nah. Every test I chose was pretty much GPU dependent, and where it can lift due to the faster GPU it will. I have no doubt if I pushed the 2070S to the limit it would be even more, but I wanted to keep the clocks as similar as I could. The 2070s was at 1965 and the 2070 at 1900. Which is a 350mhz uplift on the stock 2070.

It still shows the difference between the two cards basically. About 10%, more if you got lucky with your 2070s. The main uplift is the clock speeds of the Super.

4. frack

frack What's a Dremel?

5. Diletta Graziosi

Diletta Graziosi What's a Dremel?

i can't figure out what cpu do you have in

6. Vault-Tec

16/32 Haswell Xeon. It clocks to 2.4ghz.

It doesn't bottleneck in these benchmarks because the benchmarks are all CPU and GPU dependent. What I mean is there's gpu tests, CPU tests and combined. However, due to the metric ton of cores and threads it produces a very good CPU score.

I wanted apples for apples. If I overlooked the 2070 super to the ragged edge (and I did get lucky in the lottery) then it would be 15-20% faster. Annoyingly the 2070 is hard locked to 1900mhz.

However do bear in mind my 2070 super is a beast, and I know from this forum that this model is not always like that. Someone else has one and it doesn't clock anywhere near as good as mine does.

For £350 though the 2070 is pretty much a no brainer.

7. Vault-Tec

BTW guys just to clarify what the 2070 Super can do with its tits clocked off here.

[​IMG]

That also is in the same PC I did this testing with.

8. frack

frack What's a Dremel?

why a xeon under a gaming PC? probably i have lst something...

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

While it may benchmark well in 'CPU tests', that means little for actual performance. Poor single-thread performance will bottleneck GPU performance, with the problem becoming more significant as the framerate increases (with the CPU struggling to prepare the next frame for the GPU to render, leading to the GPU spending more and more time just idling). Haswell running at only 2.4GHz will absolutely be having a performance impact, and I'm struggling to find benchmarks with any Haswell CPU clocked even close to that low.

10. frack

frack What's a Dremel?

maybe he just want to do do rendering i was thinking.... and if you want to render maybe more core are more useful...

11. Vault-Tec

VMware.

12. Vault-Tec

From what I've seen in the 2070 super benchmark tests on OCUK you've nothing to worry about there.

That's why I'm benching it, not gaming. Though rest assured you'd probably be amazed how well it games too.

13. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Thinking out loud:

1) I'm not convinced your cpu isn't a restriction (despite the OC test) or wouldn't be a restriction in games
    2) There's no real reason to upgrade from 2070 to 2070S, but I appreciate the reason here is 'just in case someone is thinking of buying a new GPU'
    3) £350 was my expected price for the original 2070, it's just taken so long to get there and it's almost end of life, unless I had to upgrade now due to GPU failure, I'd be hanging on to my money for Ampere/RDNA2
    4) I'm not knocking you, it's great to get info out in the open, more info available, better informed people's choices will be- Kudos :thumb:.

14. Vault-Tec

I'm not upgrading. I have more than one (ok so 5, you asked lol)

The 2070 super and Xeon are at mum's for when I'm there. At home I have a TR 1920x and had a Titan XP. I've bought the 2070 for that rig, as I couldn't block the super (no block for it) and couldn't afford the 2070 super and a block.

I've benched against the fastest rigs with the fastest CPUs on OCUK and my 2070 super is second only to a wc one with a 9900k iirc.

Any way I got it home and fitted it (the blocked 2070) and it's now boosting to 2050mhz under water. Which makes it pretty much no slower than my XP in games and if so it doesn't matter any way (70hz ips) so yeah, that's why I did it.

Well that and features. My mate's been saying how bad his 980ti is for doing what he does and how there are new features on RTX that make it faster than any 10 series.

Gaming is now pretty much the last thing I do, but when I do etc.

And yeah totally agree about the price but I think everyone knew that when Nvidia returned with the kitchen sink it was going to cost a bit more. So I'm pretty chuffed with it :)