1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The 'I regret doing that' thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 8 Mar 2020.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

We have a 'what's ruining your life' and 'what makes your life awesome thread, so how about a 'Whoops, I shouldn't have done that' thread? Probably crosses over with 'what's ruining your life' but hey ho. It can cover anything, from 'I wish I hadn't bought something' to 'I should've been nicer to someone at school'.

Not going to lie, I'm being a bit selfish and want to get something off my chest, so I'll start.

----------------------------------------------------

Perhaps my main hobby is strength training. I started when I was about 16 and so I'm coming up to two decades. Before you ask, I'm 100% natural! I train twice each weekday, in the morning before work and in the afternoon/evening afterwards. Currently I do deadlifting on Friday mornings.

Friday gone, I got into the gym about 20 minutes later than normal. I'd done a few sets, building up to a 1 rep max. Meanwhile, this relatively young (probably ~22-25), reasonably big guy had started doing deadlifting with 100kg, for ~3 sets of 10 in the adjacent lifting platform (two platforms, with a deadlifting 'mat' and a rack for squatting). Each BLOODY time, he slammed the weight down and it put me off getting my one rep max: this put me in a bit of an irate mood.

After he'd finished, he walked off, leaving the weight on the platform. I thought he'd just gone to get water, or take a quick break before putting the weights away, but I saw him doing some lunges. At this point, a couple of guys I know saw me looking around, getting increasingly wound up. One older guy, actually walked over to me and said he was pissed off with seeing this behaviour all the time.

I snapped, picked up the weight and carried it about 50 metres to where he was doing lunges and threw it on the ground behind him - unfortunately, it rolled towards him and caught his leg (not my intention, just wanted to make him jump) but nothing 'dangerous'. He started giving me a load of grief and I shouted to him that he should put his effing weights away and walked off. I went back to my weights (a few people were actually grinning at me) and a minute later he came over and said he was reporting me. I shouted back to go ahead and told him my name to use. Later on he sheepishly came back, carrying the weights and bar back to the rack in a few trips. I said 'thank you (not sarcastically)' to him after the last weight was put back, to which he repeated his intent to report me. I also repeated to go ahead (no shouting this time).

The manager (who I sort of know) came over after chatting to him and asked for my side of the story. I started by apologizing and saying I hadn't slept well last night, then repeated the above. He said he'd also talked to a couple of witnesses and they'd verified what I'd said. I said that I'd accept it if he needed to ban me, but he said that I was known for being a nice guy and it was clearly a blip, so no punishment; he said it mustn't happen again though. He went on to say that he wasn't going to demand that I apologize, but recommended that I did. After that, he chatted to the guy and left.

I went over and apologized and said that although it was no excuse, I hadn't slept well and was on edge. His response was 'I don't give an eff about your problems, it's not acceptable': no acknowledgement of any wrongdoing. I responded 'Fine, well I've made my apology and I promise it won't happen again.' offered my hand and he shook it.

I'm annoyed at myself for losing it like that. In hindsight, I simply should've walked up to him and asked him to put his weights back. I'm also quite frankly lucky the guy didn't take matters further: he did have grounds to call the police on an assault charge, even though it was accidental the weight actually made contact with him. Truth be told, I'm used to being in more hardcore gyms, where fights break out over weights being left out, but these are really big angry roided up people who on occasion have actually been to prison for bodily harm.

On the other hand, a nice chap who wanted to use the platform next came up to me and thanked me for doing that, so swings and roundabouts.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2020
    Mr Happy and LennyRhys like this.
  2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Things I regret doing?

I'm a two finger typist, I'm not typing that much!

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'No regrets'?... my life is all regrets...

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

This thread is going to be full of graphic images of personal home/modding injuries, isn't it?

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I regret not punching my university professor in his big stupid scottish mouth when his response to my not understanding him was to loudly and repeatedly ask me if I was dyslexic in front on the entire class. I still wouldn't have a degree but I probably would have felt better.

Pete J likes this.
  6. RedFlames

Same, but for different reasons.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Relevance of him being Scottish?

David likes this.
  8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

He was Scottish, it's an accurate descriptor.

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

But it's completely irrelevant. If somebody is an asshole, their nationality has nothing to do with it. You might want to edit the post before it becomes one of the things you regret doing LOL.

bawjaws and David like this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

[​IMG]

The_Crapman and Pete J like this.
  11. adidan

Dunno if it is irrelevant.

For example, somebody with a Scottish, South African, Columbian or many other nationalities' accent telling me to eff off would make me pay more attention than, I don't know, a Kiwi, Italian, Welsh or numerous other accents.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2020
  12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What colour were his hair and eyes? How tall was he? Did he have facial hair? What was he wearing?

Can't help feel that you've stuck his nationality in there because you somehow feel that it's relevant in establishing him as a bad 'un...

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'm in the middle of renovating my house; I got just as far as painting the coving and above the picture rail, and about 10% of the paint has peeled off. With hindsight, I should have realised sooner but it seems that the odd chalky finish to the walls and coving is the original distemper. It wipes off easily with a damp cloth, unless you've painted over it in which case it's a fight on your hands.

Currently peeling off a mass of 1990s paint from the 1903 distemper, using 2020s duct tape:

[​IMG]

It's actually working, which was just as well as the profile of the coving makes it near impossible to strip with a knife.

[​IMG]

If only I'd known in advance, eh?

14. adidan

o_O

That's not just a dog thing then?

bawjaws likes this.
  15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Probably made from dogs; my research indicates rabbit skins of horse hooves were used most commonly.

adidan likes this.
  16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

About forty percent of my posts on the internet.

RedFlames and adidan like this.
  17. RedFlames

as low as 40?

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Itd be higher if I included the posts I typed then deleted. Or deleted after posting.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Leaving school at 14 for drugs.
    Not going back.
    Not going to college. Well, going for two days then getting smashed instead.
    Not allowing any psychiatrists to evaluate me, instead storming out in a strop.

Gawd, you name it. But those are lessons, and lessons are learned.

I don't regret it. Well, I have, but it's past now. Nothing I can do about it.

20. Jangalit

Jangalit What's a Dremel?

I regret starting a uni that I didn’t like instead of pursuing my true dream, I changed it after 4 years but I should have done it sooner

I am now fortunately studying what I really like and I hope everything will go well!