1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Looking for a new (used) car, possibly hybrid?

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeStorm, 3 Mar 2020.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The Honda's are not hybrid are they?

I'm by no means up to date, I only did research and looked at my options for early 2010 hybrids back in 2017 for wife's car. Ended up with Nissan Leaf.

One thing with the Toyota hybrids, you must go try out one first. The acceleration pedal sensation isn't for everyone.

Auris is a good Golf sized car. The hybrid should have same drivetrain as the Prius. It blends in better than Pruis. The Prius is very good all round car if you can get past the looks.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Sorry I meant the civic hybrid haha, seem to be available up to 2010 possibly? Saw a 2010 with <100k for under 6k earlier hence why I mentioned it.
    I definitely wouldn't buy any car before trying out one of the same model even if I can't try out the exact car (if it's miles away or something).

It looks like if I want to go hybrid it will be early 2010s (2010/2011 really) due to budget. I had heard Toyota were thought of as great for reliability but was told they've had a couple of issues in recent years with large callbacks? So that makes me slightly less sure on them.

I don't know if I will go hybrid as it'll mean going for an older car but I think I'll definitely see if I can try an auris as it's the right size and there seem to be spirit models in the right kind of price/age range which come with some niceties I'd like if I'm bothering to buy a car :)

3. wyx087

Sounds like you've done due diligence research and now knows more than my limited knowledge :thumb:

A 2015 Skoda Octavia might be within your budget? It's a lot of car for less than Golf money. Diesels will only need to pay £30 in tax, and 2015 is when Euro 6 comes in, where you wouldn't need to pay for London ULEZ (and possibly other city taxes)
    I know my '63 reg Octavia 2.0 DSG diesel is now probably worth less than £5000.

I'm surprised for £6000 you can only get early 2010 hybrid. When I looked in 2017, I could get a ~2012 Aruis hybrid or ~2014 Yaris hybrid for £8000.

4. GeorgeStorm

Yeah I'm looking at octavia as an option, going to stay away from diesel though due to not driving enough (between 6 and 8k last couple of years), there are some petrol ones under 6k.
    Some 2014ish under 80k petrols that are tempting, got the thumbs up from the other half when I mentioned the model and she had a look so that's always a bonus :)

Haven't checked yaris hybrid as was looking for the larger car, but yeah I think for auris 2010/11 under 100k miles was 5-6k.

5. GeorgeStorm

Well had a look at and test drove a 13 plate Octavia 1.4 Elegance last night.
    Liked it, heavy pedals compared to my current car but not sure if that's to do with the Octavia specifically or the age of mine or the increased size or.....

More expensive than I can justify at 7k and higher mileage than I'd like but the cambelt was replaced literally just last week at it's MOT so that's something, obviously I'd hope to be able to get that down a little, but whilst I liked it if anything it just made me more uncertain as to what would be best!
    Could go a couple of years older for a similar mileage and save money, albeit losing some features as well as it's an older model, but having never had any of these features it's difficult to tell which I'd regret!

Going to see if I can get the price down on the one we saw, playing it off against another couple of the same model with fewer miles I found elsewhere.
    Will also try to see if I can test drive an Auris hybrid as I still like the idea of one.

6. wyx087

Unfortunately 2013 is as early as you can go on the Mk 3 Octavia, any earlier you'd be on a Mk 2, which can be a good thing if you don't mind trading mod-con for mechanical simplicity.

1.4 is a petrol isn't it? Make sure it's indeed belt driven, check the belt change receipt. I thought Octavia petrols are all chain driven. If it were chain, be aware of possible problem with the chain: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/69834/is-the-volkswagen-1-4-tsi-engine-reliable-

On the Octavia:
    - Make sure it has smaller wheels. I have 18 inch on mine and I'm not happy with the ride comfort. I think these non-VRS budget suspension system is designed more for 16 inch wheels, 17 inch may be okay on Elegance.
    - I also find the seat in Elegance a bit harsh during long trips, make sure you are happy with the driving position and seat comfort.
    - I've done just over 20k on my high mileage Octavia diesel, had 70k when I got it. No problems with the major parts of the car.
    - Small problems: high-beam assist module broken (I don't use it anyway), occational problem with auto-headlight & auto wiper (this is one module, it's an annoyance).

7. GeorgeStorm

It's a petrol yeah as I don't think I'll do enough driving for a diesel to make any sense.
    As mentioned there are a couple around the same price with differing mileage so going to see if I can play them off against each other as originally my budget was 6k tops and these are all just under 7k hah.
    I'm checking on when the last time the cambelt/water pump was changed on each, as I mentioned the one I test drove last night had it done as the last MOT which was last week so that's a comfort that helps reduce the negative impact of the 93k mileage.

In theory there are some mazda 3s and kia ceeds that could work now I've opened up to £125 tax instead of <£30 a year, so may have another look at them, but part of me just wants to try to reduce the price of the octavias and just go for one as I feel at this rate I could spend the next month obsessing over things and not really end up that much better off, as anything will be a big upgrade across the board!

Also a couple of A3s that might in theory fit the requirements so if anything the more time I spend looking/checking the less of an idea I have!

8. GeorgeStorm

Quick update, by expanding my budget to 7k there are a couple of 2012 auris hybrids with decent mileage so going to try and test drive a similar car this weekend as they're now back in the running.

Part of me definitely wishes I'd stopped looking hah.

wyx087 likes this.
  9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Do you know how long battery packs last on hybrids?

I imagine it shouldn't be an issue I just honestly have no idea.

10. wyx087

A guide on buying used hybrids, a bit old but points are still valid: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...2/buying-a-used-hybrid-car-the-complete-guide

The general view is that battery should last lifetime of the car, just like full EV's. Even if battery capacity is degraded, it should still function.

If worst comes to worst, in a few years time, you may want to have the car checked by independent electric/hybrid garage, where they can replace weak cells to restore battery capacity. Full pack replacement is rarely needed. Here is an organisation providing expertises support to its member garages: https://www.hevra.org.uk/

adidan likes this.
  11. GeorgeStorm

Well ended up deciding on an Octavia, 14 plate elegance spec since that gives a bunch of cool (to me at least) features and seemed reasonably priced.
    Arranged to collect next weekend and pay a deposit, and then fiancé calls to say she's got a cough and thinks she needs to self isolate, which means I need to for 14 days so have to postpone getting the new car! :(

adidan likes this.
  12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Sensible.

Also sensible.

adidan likes this.
  13. GeorgeStorm

14. wyx087

Nice colour, same as mine ;) hides the dirt well.

Is the tow hitch original manufacturer? If not, make sure it's properly fitted. (no idea from pics, sorry)

Make sure the rear wiper and washer works, my washer no longer works and I can't figure out why. The nozzles seems fine.

Go here for loads of friendly owners: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/235-skoda-octavia-mk-iii-2013-onward/

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Can you hear the motor running when you try it? If the motor whirrs but no fluid it's clagged up, if it doesn't run it's a fuse or the motor itself.

If I recall the E46 BMW was bad for getting algae residue in the tank when people filled it with tap water, giving it a good flush out with a hose solved many a problem.

Sorry if you've been down this path and exhausted these options!

wyx087 and adidan like this.
  16. GeorgeStorm

Haha I've been told it makes it look like even more of an old man car but I'm fine with that :D
    Not sure I'll ask.

Yeah I've come across that forum a couple of times whilst trying to check things think I'll go make an account! :)

17. wyx087

Thank you.
    The motor do make a noise, the problem will be finding where it's clogged up. Front washer works. A few thread on the Briskoda forum suggest it's usually somewhere near the boot and/or the nozzle connector.

I really hadn't put any effort into looking into this on my car. The saloon shape of the car mean it's not really needed, unlike a hatchback.

18. GeorgeStorm

Well due to the new measures this has been delayed for a couple of weeks at least, may keep an eye out in case any other options become available as the garage have said they're happy to refund the deposit if needed due to the delay etc.

19. GeorgeStorm

20. wyx087

Skoda "quality" :) A week or so ago my Octavia front coil spring snapped. Just had both front spring replaced yesterday for £300. The mechanic was surprised it happened on a car younger than 10 years old ('63 reg). The paint peeled off and the spring rusted, so it snapped. I am thinking Skoda were using cheaper suppliers compared to VW.

Nissan may fair better. My Nissan Leaf haven't had a single thing gone wrong, ever........ *finger's crossed*.

If it matters to you, one minor difference I've found is Skoda provides free map updates, just download it into the supplied SD card. Wereas Nissan doesn't, you are stuck with the map unless you pay dealer £££ to buy and map the new SD card to your car.