1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Approx 600 - 1500 daily tests according to official info.
    English Source (for everything corona related in Japan):
    https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakunitsuite/bunya/newpage_00032.html

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

4. Risky

Risky Modder

Are you saying the government is contradicting its scientific advisors, or that it isn't and you think it should?

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I think the inference is that by restricting the supply of testing kits the government can downplay the number of infections and attempt to play the narrative in it's favour.

"The number of infections are rising slowly, our strategy must be working," and so on. That does run the risk of the infection spreading unchecked and the situation spiralling beyond the government's control. But I wouldn't put it past Bojo and Cummings to take that risk.

However, given what Imperial College London published this morning (up to 260'000 dead if inadequate restrictions are in place and this spreads like Seasonal Flu does) HMG seem to be going into stop the world and focus on the problem mode. Which is ****ing up my travel plans this week, but then at this point I think my two weeks of holiday were ****ed up regardless.

6. Risky

Risky Modder

Aside from the rest of the thread, can I ask you all what you think so should do with our ice cream parlour/cafes?

If we stay open with social distancing measures, removing tables to increase separation or offering takeaways to your car, is this a good thing or should we just sack everyone
    borrow money from everywhere until we go broke?

7. Risky

Risky Modder

So do you think the medical advisor or the scientific advisor is lying in the press conference?

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I don't have a good answer for you there. I don't know.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

No, the science and medical advisors appear to be talking scientific and medical facts, leaving the politicians to talk about 'strategy' and 'plans' and how prepared they are - you know, the things that should be creating trust in how they are handling things.

The problem is that the herd infection strategy basically leaves a huge proportion of the population on their own, on the basis that only a very small proportion will die. They have basically said they are prepared to let this 'very small proportion' die if it means the rest of the population gets immunity.

This 'very small proportion' is still a huge number of people.

I am also not clear on how the rest get immunity - are they counting on a naturally created immunity after infection or a vaccine?

The herd immunity stratgey is outrageously risky, they are gambling with the lives of a huge number of people.

So the million dollar question is, do you trust them?

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

What the Government says:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance

So based on your son having symptoms there is only one choice, but how that is supposed to be compatible with a family run business I can't tell you.

Only way to stay open in the short term would probably be to let someone else run it, some staff member (if there are any) or asking some Aunt or whoever to jump in (with you providing some guidance on what to do over the phone).

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think that the government should do what France is doing: commit to bailing out any small business at risk of going under as a result of the shutdown.

Looks like the UK picked the wrong year to Brexit...

[​IMG]

wolfticket likes this.
  12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I would make steps you are taking visible to customers. Post notices in your cafe as to the measures you are taking. Such as gloves on for handling cash. Encouraging contactless payment. Face mask on when serving food. Physically mark out social distance lines so customers can see. Disinfect tables after someone leaves. Basically be overly hygienic and make it visible. Leverage social media to get the word out as to what you are doing.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've emptied my local supermarket of tin foil, will shortly be selling hats on Amazon for £5 each, hopefully they won't get wise to it and ban me, as there's a killing to be made.

Weekly_Estimate and MLyons like this.
  14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Have you considered starting a home delivery service? Or signing up with Deliveroo et-al, but doing it yourself for local delivery means you can keep on some existing staff and avoid taking a cut to earnings.

15. Risky

Risky Modder

Pretty much where we where at with cafe. But facemask aren't a thing you can actually get. Going to encourage contactless payment. Full hand wash before every serving. Plan to go to 1-in-the-shop takeaway at some point.

Son appears to be false alarm. She hadn't measured temp, just said he was hot. Cough isn't "Persistent" as per the GP next door. We will keep him and the other two off for today to see if we are wrong and then, probably they go back.

16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

My wife is on her last day in the office, and it looks like the same for me. I run our family business from my parents' house, and I should not be there.
    They're healthy and in their late 70s, but Dad is asthmatic.
    A friend of my sister who's an epidemiologist says they need to socially distance NOW, no messing as she has people in their 20s and 30s in ICU who have no previous medical problems in her hospital.
    I'l be taking the accounts PC home and all my office stuff, and setting up at home.
    Email from school asking for an action plan form to be filled for my Y11 daughter who is mildly asthmatic too. Inhaler to be carried at all times in the front blazer pocket and action plan to school tomorrow.
    I help out at my local Sea Scouts, that is all suspended as of last night, and I wonder how long school will be open for...
    Stay safe out there all.

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I can't understand how so many places are still operating business as usual. It's like everyone is rationalising it as "It's in Italy, not here!" as if there isn't a few cases in basically every country on the planet. As if it doesn't spread exponentially.

My employer isn't forcing WFH at the moment, but I'm taking it upon myself for tomorrow until this all starts being better controlled. Watching the UK response is quite concerning. I wonder when the Italy-esque explosion of cases and subsequently deaths will happen there.

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I don't think it's that at all - it's that anything other than business as usual can have a dramatic impact on the bottom line, even for businesses where working from home is viable, a change in working practices for those that aren't used to it can decimate productivity when it's everyone, and with a lot else on their minds to boot. And it's not even about corporate greed or putting money over health, it's the fact that as a decision maker in a business your duty to the business is to make sure it remains viable and afloat. Anything less has long term effects of job losses and everything else which comes from economic disarray when it's en-masse.

I'm not necessarily saying trying to keep a business afloat amongst this is entirely altruistic - "for the people", but ultimately any deviation from BAU is bad in ways nobody can fully understand at this scale, since there's simply no precedent.

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Tested some of the remote systems this morning at work, hopefully working from home for the rest of the week, better safe than sorry.

20. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Face shields and disposable gloves for staff? Not elegant or as good as respirator + glasses, but better than nothing. If doable - plexi dividers between tables? Though if (or more likely how fast) people start staying at home en masse your customer flow will dwindle whatever you do.