1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU What do you think about Seasonic CONNECT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ifohancroft, 8 Mar 2020.

1. ifohancroft

ifohancroft Minimodder

What do you think about the new Seasonic CONNECT PSU with the "hub" that you attach to the back with magnets and you plug the cables in it as opposed to in the PSU itself?

Apparently it has been revealed at Computex 2018 (unless I remember it wrong) but it seems there have been videos and articles about it all over the internet, only recently.

I quite like it actually. I still wish the cable going from the PSU to the "hub" could be detachable though (I mean it is on the hub side, but not on the PSU), also I am not entirely fond of the fact that it has lighting in single color (doesn't have to have lighting but if it has, it better be RGB so you can color match it, is the way I look at things).

2. kim

kim hardware addict

personally I find it pretty neat...:thumb:, but you're right, lighting color should be customizable

ifohancroft likes this.
  3. ifohancroft

ifohancroft Minimodder

I have yet to try it, but I am thinking that especially for desk pc builds, it will help with the cable management over traditional fully modular PSUs. I mean as in, if you are designing the desk from scratch and trying to build an enclosure somewhere (maybe below the components?) for routing and hiding the cables.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its interesiting but wouldn't work for my current system. The combination of PC-011, EATX motherboard and 360 rad means theres no space for the cables, so they have to come in from the top!

ifohancroft likes this.
  5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I saw that recently too. As an idea, I think it's pretty neat. But I think the entire build needs to be done with it planned in from the start.

I don't know that I could make use of it in my current setup without completely stripping and redoing everything.

I agree on the lighting, though. RGB puke isn't my bag, but if it has to have lights they better be controllable to match whatever other lighting there is.

ifohancroft likes this.
  6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

It looks like it could be pretty handy in custom mods or desks with PC's built in, rather than in standard cases.

ifohancroft likes this.
  7. ifohancroft

ifohancroft Minimodder

Yeah. I agree that you either have to plan for it from the start or you have to strip everything and redo it to integrate it in your current build.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I think it is very limited use the way they implemented it.

What would be far more useful would be if they teamed up with a case manufacturer and integrated the hub directly into a case (complete with cables of the correct length etc).

9. ifohancroft

ifohancroft Minimodder

That's true but I like the fact that it is standalone so you can use it with whatever you want. There is however a list of supported cases, so maybe they were made with the usage of this thing in mind?

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I like the idea, I hope lots of people jump on it so that there is further development because in my opinion there a couple areas the look like they could be improved. The connect needs the primary connection to be modular so that one can adjust the cable length depending on case and mounting location. I'm not a fan of magnets for long term mounting, so it be nice to have some mounting options (and not 3m tape or valcro). My main issue is the 30 wires in the connect cable, a result of sending 12 V DC to the connect. Rather than sending 12 V DC to the remote unit requiring what looks like 20 wires + 10 smaller wires presumably for control, why not use 24 V and have half as many wires, but why stop, 48V and a a quarter of the wires. I know my suggestion adds an extra level of DC-DC conversion but I feel it has a advantage.

If it isn't too overly priced I will consider it for my next build.

ifohancroft likes this.
  11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

(Linus Tech Tips warning)

Looks quite cool! I also just remembered that ATX12v is a thing, so maybe this is a step towards that!

ifohancroft likes this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Look up ATX12v standard, iots just 12v straight to the motherboard.

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Waste of money, and would make tidying harder as it wont fit all cases.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I'm on the daft side.

It's an idea. Not a great one tbh.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

31, if you ask me.

That being the total number of gullible muppets that will part with their own hard earned for this ridiculous thing.

16. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It's not just 12V to the motherboard, ATX12V still requires the PSU to provide -12, 3.3 , 5VSB, and 5 V DC, it just reduced the amount of power these rails were required to provide as primary power is now drawn from the 12V bus and not the 3.3 and 5 volt buses.
    I have an urge to watch Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels now.

ifohancroft likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Do it, or you'll be crying tears bigger than October cabbages :p

ifohancroft likes this.
  18. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

One of those things that gets produce that I just think 'why?'.

ifohancroft and Vault-Tec like this.
  19. Vault-Tec

Because it's one of those things where you really can't be any better at.

Kinda like those stupid water cooled PSUs. That never came out because that was stupid too.

ifohancroft and adidan like this.
  20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

He probably meant ATX12VO, which is indeed 12V only with a cut-down motherboard connector (providing <280W before you need an extra EPS connector vs. the ~96W for the full 24pin ATX12V connector).

Bloody_Pete and ifohancroft like this.