1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox Series X hardware specs are announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 17 Mar 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I sincerely hope they don't gouge the **** out of the price on the expansion card. It needs to be on-par with what a USB drive can be had for, or less.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I find it pleasing that Microsoft have moved away from excessive penny pinching on hardware. I assume this is a side effect of contracting so much of the chipset design out to AMD lowering the overal development costs. The massive heatsink and one huge fan is very new Mac Pro too.

Overall this thing is looking better and better despite it's substantial size. I was think about getting a One X this year but if this thing runs the last two generations and the new one it might be a better proposition, I've been wanting a 4k Blu Ray player too, because rural internet.

Even if they do I would bet third party enclosures that let you mount your own M.2 drive will spring up. If they don't it's going to support external drives anyway.

4. liratheal

Oh, absolutely there will be third party versions for that proprietary slot, but with a lot of accessories I prefer to go OEM. I've had too many quirky behaviors over the years with third party console stuff to bother with it anymore.

If the price is too high on the OEM expansions, I'll be going via USB - At least that should be a prescribed standard that any monkey can make a device work on.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I think you just answered your own riddle.

Linus did a group test the other day on SSDs, and how many of him and his staff could pick out the fastest. They all chose SATA.

Which means buying their SSD will be mostly pointless any way. Far cheaper to get a quick 2tb external.

6. liratheal

No argument that, in general use, the difference between M.2 and SATA is imperceptible, but I like the lack of cabling and external device for the on-board slot. If the price is right, then that's the route I'd rather take - But if the price is not right, then I'll be going via the cheapest brand I'm happy with for an enclosure and the most reasonably priced SATA drive to go in it.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Or they could just copy what Sony did with the PS4 and make it trivial to upgrade the internal drive.

8. Vault-Tec

You can't it looks soldered.

Austin Evans did a "tear up" where the parts were all laid out. TBH it's engineering pron. And he doesn't say HEY GOYS ! I guess MS told him to tone it down a bit.

Have a watch.

9. liratheal

Microsoft console, trivial upgrade? Tee-hee.

I expect the biggest hurdle, though, this time around is that any storage on the Series X will be soldered to the board. TBFH, I would imagine Sony are doing the same with the 5.

10. Vault-Tec

Yeah I gotta say that is one area where I prefer the PS Pro. It's so simple. The 1x is convoluted and involves loads of messing around.

11. liratheal

I'm a long time Xboxer (Although I have had basically every Sony console apart from the PS4), and yeah. Sony got that right. Microsoft really should have taken note of that back in the 360/PS3 era and implemented it in the Xbone.

12. Vault-Tec

I think they're just terrified of modders tbh.

Ah well, I'd still get it any way given the ps at least for now is a crap media machine. Doesn't even have iPlayer ffs.

13. liratheal

Yeah, I think every console manufacturer is. Which, IMO, is crazy. Modders will always get in to run homebrew and copied games. I know they have to make efforts, but even so. Swapping drives shouldn't be a big thing. Ah well. That won't become a thing again as storage gets soldered to the board.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

FTFY :grin:

Most of the time people go looking for security flaws and exploits because they want to explore the hardware, run homebrew/emulators, write demos, etc. It's very rarely done with piracy as the primary intention, piracy is often a side-effect of these efforts.

It's a nit-picking distinction but an important one IMO.

15. liratheal

I shan't pretend to know otherwise! Last time I modded a console for anything other than dumb ideas was PS1 era. I was just going based on how many times MVG says things like "And to run backups". Which, IMO, is pretty much code for copied games in my understanding :p

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Bingo. The PS3 remained unhacked whilst loading Linux on a stock system was possible. When OtherOS was removed, every bus-poker on the planet decided "oh, it's on now!".

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, most of the time 'backup copies' refers to pirate copies ;). But backups are a legitimate concern; in 20-30 years time when the disc drives are all dead and replacements can't be found, how are we going to keep being able to play these games? As with a lot of older systems these days, emulators, rom rips, backups, etc, are pretty much what saved these games and these systems for future generations.

Yeah that was a massive screwup by Sony. If instead they'd patched their firmware, or worked with people who wanted lower-level access to the hardware, they'd have given themselves a lot of good will with modders, homebrewers, hardware hackers, etc. Yanking the functionality altogether was a massive 'f--- you' to the community. It might be a small community, but chances are that it's the community that will rip your security to shreds when you do stuff like that :grin:.

18. liratheal

No question, making sure there are copies of these things (Although.. Does anyone really need a copy of Vampire Rain?) for future reference is worthwhile, and definitely worth the effort to work around the security of the systems. It also makes for some very interesting content on the ol' youtubes!

19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

The main thing for me (which admittedly is a holdover from the original Xbox) is the loss of all saved games in the event the console needs to be sent off for repair. And let's face it, almost all new consoles have needed exactly that at some point in their initial days.

This improved with cloud saves and the removable hard drives of the various 360 models (can't comment on the Ones as I skipped that generation and went PC, since I still had about half the entire catalogue of 360 games unplayed due to the arrival of small people), so to go back to soldered storage seems like a massive backwards leap to me. At best, you'll still potentially have to redownload any games if saves are in the cloud, but then they'll only be available for as long as the servers are maintained.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The PS3, PS4, and XB1 (can't remember if the 360 did) all allow you to export save data to a USB drive. The PS4 also allows you to do a full drive backup, so downloaded games too. Admittedly not much help if the thing just bricks unexpectedly though.

Tags: Add Tags