1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Does any of this smell like poo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 17 Mar 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Found out I was in line for a bit of a wind fall last week. Apparently I am, so I am planning a "Dream yet sensible PC". I did price up some ridiculous hardware but soon realised I should be at least a bit more sensible.

I've been out of the loop for a long time, and usually buy new stuff that is two years old. That way I can afford it. However this time I want new. Like, new new.

So, I will list out what I have in my list and explain why. If, however, you have used any of this and it's crap please tell me.

For the case I am using this. I will explain why in a bit.

[​IMG]

It's a mid ATX. The reason I am eyeing that one up is because of this.

[​IMG]

And the fact it can hold a fat 360 rad. I'm not going to go mad into the WC parts as they can come later. Well, mostly any way. I'm trying to keep the rig as "Mike Tyson" as I can get it so no RGB connected at all. If it is RGB it will be set to white.

Fans.

[​IMG]

Motherboard

[​IMG]

As I said, I want space in the case for the water cooling. And possible vertical GPU mount.

CPU

Ryzen 3950x

RAM

Patriot 32gb 3600

[​IMG]

SSD. Two of these in 2tb

[​IMG]

I don't want any more storage than that.

PSU

[​IMG]

GPU

[​IMG]

The reason I am going founders is because I already have this.

[​IMG]

I think that is about it. The rest of the WC can be gotten as it moves.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The only thing that smells like poo is me as I have just shat myself with envy.

3. Vault-Tec

And now you can't get any toilet paper. Sorry. I don't feel bad though. I've got IBS and I can't get any either.....

4. Vault-Tec

I've been thinking about names. Mike Tyson would be fitting, or COVID 19.

Come on vault, it's dumb and 19 represents the amount of times I've blown far too much money on computers.

kim likes this.
  5. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

64GB of ram is sweet spot for 3950X?

6. Vault-Tec

It's horrifically expensive though.

This rig will be solely for gaming. Well, and VR. I guess I could always up the RAM at a later date, but right now it would push aside cooling and that's not happening.

My main rig will still do all the leg work, this will literally be turned on to game on.

I originally planned on 3970x and so on, but it was just getting really silly.

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

This being just to game on and keeping your 'main' pc for other stuff seems a little silly since you say you're skint and this is a windfall, wouldn't waste it on such a frivolity personally.

But no doubt it would be an epic build :)

8. Vault-Tec

All I need is my computer. It's my gateway to the world. I don't have kids or nieces or nephews so yeah.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Sack that barrow block and get Watercool Heatkiller blocks. You know they are the sex! The Heatkiller tube reservoirs are yummy too, available in both d5 and DDC flavours.

Those fans are so good, but, get some thin washers to stop the screw heads cutting the the anti-vibration grommets. Also the screws that come with the fans are quite long, so watch out for that, use whatever screws came with the rad.

10. Vault-Tec

I've used the fans a few times. White, blue etc. Love em.

Unfortunately I don't want to be wasteful as daft as that may sound, and I paid for that Barrow block. I also went absolutely penniless* for two weeks because of it. Also I can not vertical mount the GPU nor do I want to. I want to stuff a rad in at the bottom also. Maybe a 240 fat with the 360 fat at the top. As I said, cooling is of utmost importance because I know those CPUs and the GPU get hot. Which is why I'm not hobbling myself to an ITX case. I will also swear much less lol.

* Will clear up a couple of things. I have money behind me. Any more and I lose my flat. It's all really convoluted and really stupid but yeah, I would never touch my savings and safety net. This would make life difficult, so I am replacing it with something to make my life easier.

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The only thing I'd be wary of is that SSD as theres no information on write endurance on the website. I love the Corsair MP510's personally, as they're write endurance is insane and they have 5 year warrenties, only £20 more per drive too. LInk

12. Vault-Tec

I've had nothing but bad luck with Corsair TBH. Three SSDs just vanished, then they gave me nightmares on the RMA. They're not who they once were sadly.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

No problem, I feel you there, had the same with Logitech. Seems like these once great companies are just as rubbish as everyone else now!

14. Vault-Tec

First was the X32. I should have known better but it bricked during the TRIM firmware install. Cost me a packet to send back to NL.

Then I had a couple of SSDs die and the second one they deliberately broke. Force, IIRC. That's an EVGA trick. Those who know me know how I pack things and how I love my gear.

I know Scan are now apparently taking care of their RMA but again, I wouldn't buy from Scan for screwing me over in the past with their illegal restocking fees on an item that was DOA.

Amazon are good tbh. I will order anything expensive from there, then just get the WC gear from OCUK who have never let me down in over five years. Their customer service is fantastic, and any issue have been resolved very quickly. Usually resulting in free gear or discounts because something was the wrong colour etc.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

These companies can be all over the place, as I've had the inverse from Scan and OCUK. I jusst use whoever has the best prices these days as there's no promise CS will ever be good!

16. adidan

@Vault-Tec just to say i'm another mp510 owner and it's not skipped a beat.

Fully understsland if you want to avoid, I think we all have companies we've been burned by and just not use again.

17. Vault-Tec

With OCUK there's a customer service forum. Bailey and co kick ass. I never bought from there pre "that racist dick" so I wouldn't know tbh. I would imagine phoning would be a PITA but there really is no need. I've bought nearly all of my water gear from them, and small mistakes have been made (including a lost £21 fitting !) but they have always taken care of it.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  18. Vault-Tec

I'll consider it. None of it is stone (yet). I think it was Linus who was raving about the Rockets. He has them in his Epyc servers, IIRC. I *think* they are Phison controllers... Not sure tbh.

19. adidan

I think the MP510 has a Phison E12 controller (?).

But yeah, tbh, i've not kept up with them since I bought mine so there may be a better option that suits you.

20. Vault-Tec

My 256gb Pioneers are on them and they roar. I'd get something more expensive and a couple of 1tb Samsung SATA, but they would look horrendous because of the cables. It needs to be packed on the SODIMM NVME thing really.