1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Does any of this smell like poo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 17 Mar 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK money came in. Was a little more than I expected, and tbh after the headaches I've had with water cooling lately I bottled it.

So I chopped and changed a few things. I can always add to it later storage and etc wise. This is what I got. I'll do the build here, given I doubt it will even require much modding. I'm so tired of problems and leaks.

I went for the 3950x.

[​IMG]

For RAM I changed things. Instead of getting 32gb of 3600 I got 16gb of 4133 :O it was quite cheap too tbh. £30 cheaper than I paid for my Dominator RGB 3200 kit/s.

[​IMG]

One 256gb for Windees and a 1tb for games (for now, I can hide SATA drives easy in this rig)

[​IMG]

I also changed the board. I just couldn't justify it really. I hope I don't live to regret this, but reviews are very positive.

[​IMG]

I changed the case also. I had my heart set on this one when I was dreaming last week and tbh I'm happy I got it.

[​IMG]

Still utterly determined to avoid RGB I got this, saving a small fortune in the process.

[​IMG]

9 of these (maybe too many but hey, better than not enough)

[​IMG]

PSU I got this.

[​IMG]

Cables. Graphite. Again, super low key.

[​IMG]

And finally the cherry on the cake.

[​IMG]

There's another reason why I chose this route. I want a VR headset for HL Alyx, and spending that much or even more on water cooling would have stopped me getting that. I also don't want this to take months to do either.

Bloody_Pete and adidan like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love your threads @Vault-Tec - do you think this looks good because i'm going to buy completely different :lol:

Just checked that GPU price :jawdrop:

I am envy.

3. Vault-Tec

I bought a poo board :D

I'll try and put some sinks on the lower vrm under the board but that may have to go back.

Yeah the GPU was totally excessive but because of the cut back on ram and storage and no water cooling it still worked out cheaper. You have to water cool the GPU because they mount in the other side of the case vertically. So it's dual chamber and comes with two ribbons so you can run two GPUs vertically. It would over heat in this case otherwise.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2020
  4. Vault-Tec

Changed the board out. It's junk. Trust me to pick THE one that is junk and has vrm temps of 105c with the stock 12 core.

Changed to the Asus TUF which was the best in class for VRM temps.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

This man is for turning lol.

I always wanted a caselabs. Sadly they're no more. That lian li is as close as it gets visually unless you go thermaltacky.

I've had that in my dream list for over a week but it wasn't cheap. mostly because well look at it, but also because it comes with two Lian Li ribbons which are about £40 each.

So yeah, I changed it up. Saved nearly £200 on the mobo and I can now use my Xonar STX below it which looks gorgeous from the side.

It's just zero aggro. When I said I'd buy a pre built or get maki to do one I wasn't kidding. My area 51 is so complex and has so much electronic crap in it that it can take weeks to troubleshoot. That's my tinker toy or fidget spinner but I need something there all of the time and reliable.

It all kinda came back to me when working on the x51 recently. You know? Just how easy regular gear is.

Bloody_Pete and adidan like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Got the rest.

[​IMG]

Didn't fancy £45 on another full set so just got what I needed. Will look nice. Got this too for the sound card.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Awww man I don't wanna be that guy butttttttttttttt

Check the VRM thermals of that board. :'(

Interesting video, MSI dropped the ball.

Vault-Tec and MLyons like this.
  8. Vault-Tec

Swapped earlier man. X570 Tuf.

Yeah how unlucky to pick that exact MSI lol. Thankfully I realised before anything has been shipped so it was easily rectified.

Problem was online reviews say it's great. It's only on YT they picked up on it by using high end CPUs.

modd1uk likes this.
  9. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Exactly, if you had a 3600 you'd not notice an issue. Issue is now the beefy AMD CPU's are available flaws are starting to show in what we thought were good boards.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Yup.

I just hope OCUK did change it but oh well it'll be their error so they can sort it. He said it was done and the order has now shipped.

Thanks though dude I appreciate that.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I guess its the problem with having such a broad product stack on the same socket, the lower end chips and boards are for very different markets to the high end ones!

12. Vault-Tec

I don't think that's the problem with that board Pete. It's because they, for some reason known only to them, decided to put two vrms under the board with no cooling at all.

Even with a 3700x they hit mid 70s. Which I guess some reviewers saw as acceptable, but I've seen four phase boards on AM3+ overclock a 8320 just because it had a cooler on the vrms.

Even MSI seemed amazed. That's worrying really.

Edit. It's all shipped and the board has indeed been changed. Phew.

modd1uk likes this.
  13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

MSI nailed the B450 market, and some decent X470 boards. They just dropped the ball on quite a few X570 boards, their top tier stuff looks to be OK but bested by the Gigashyte.

adidan likes this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah, it often seems companies take it in turns as to which chipsets they make good boards for and which ones they just engineer when half drunk.

15. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Asrock seem to be a solid all rounder for AM4 though, nice to see tbh.

16. Vault-Tec

Both very true. MSI used to use stupid VRM (32 phase on my BBXPII or 24 (16 or 12 doubled ffs) but did crap bioses and Gigabyte were doing frito bandito by releasing a decent board, chopping off the VRM and releasing a rev 2. That's very crafty tbh. They seem to have switched places now !

Asrock reported their best couple of years ever. This makes me very happy. Even though my TR4 Aorus is only 8 phase it's been fantastic. They definitely sorted their crap out over the past two years.

17. Vault-Tec

Unless you clock the balls off of any board it should last. It's overclocking that's the grey area. My 32 phase Big Bang Xpower 2 (try saying that with a mouthful of rice crispies !) died after 11 months of 5.1ghz on my 3970x?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...extreme-edition-15m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

Yup that was him. Oddly enough that was my last "Dream PC" which ended in a nightmare. Sent the board back to MSI, who then said "We don't have one to replace it with". "OK, send me the best X79 board you have then" "Well we don't have any at all".

That is what happens now that Intel continually switch sockets. They don't have any suitable replacements. I ended up settling for a GTX 970 which I had to sell, then bought a second hand RIVE but I was so paranoid I stripped it down and sold it all and bought my triangle shaped Alienware. At least Dell keep replacement parts.

I've never had a board die otherwise. I've even had some super pants Asrocks and they never died.

18. Vault-Tec

Yeah that is why I had the double take when I said it lol. Then I was thinking "Hang on, that can't be right".

Funny thing is? that was the elite Sandybridge chip that they used to pound AMD into the ground. Oh the irony lmfao.

It gets funnier too.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...extreme-edition-15m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

My chip replaced that :D

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats because you have to use Dell replacement parts ;)

20. Vault-Tec

Nah not so. They're all stock-ish.

Their warranty is awesome. Next day, on site, have parts with them.

I went through 3 keyboards on my m11x.

Bloody_Pete likes this.