1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News YouTube and Netflix begin reducing streaming quality in Europe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Mar 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Fewer pixels.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

No, just more compression.

A 4K BD has a 70-100mbit video stream, streaming services have typically been something around 15mbit, so one would assume they've been reduced to 10mbit or thereabouts.

It's all 4K, just more or less compression.

Think of it as a jpeg - you can save it at a bunch of different quality levels, and the resulting image is the same resolution, but the lower the quality, the blockier it appears and the more artifacts are visible.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I would love to know what kind of hit on exchanges isps have seen with the heavier, all day, load.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Meanwhile in an email from BT today...

[​IMG]

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I mean... when your edge infrastructure leaves the vast majority of the country on a ropey broadband service that's years behind most of the rest of the developed world, it's not hard to have massive over-provisioning centrally.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

liratheal likes this.
  8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

So from macroblocking nastyness to very slightly macroblockier nastyness. I don't think anyone streaming video is doing so because they want video quality (or they'd be barking up the wrong tree, and possibly in the wrong forest entirely), so Netflix could probably never roll back the change with minimal issue.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

It'll just look slightly worse, blockier areas of colour, often seen in dark areas of films etc you see blocks of colour rather than smooth transitions between different shades.

10. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Working from home does not generate any where near the traffic that downloading games generates (see the new MW game). Obviously full fat 4K might push some residential connections but in the UK our infrastructure for this is very unlikely to become saturated.

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Basically, JPEG-like compression smears a layer of vaseline on the images to make them smaller, but less sharp. More compression uses more vaseline to make the images even smaller. They're still sending out images that decompress to a full 7680x4320 pixels, but the data used to construct those pixels has less detail in it.

It benefits, mostly, Netflix et al, since they're sending less data out. And since people only pay for resolution, not bit rate, they can turn the compression up as hidh as they want and be legally okay even if it starts looking worse than DVD due to excessive compression.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

What codec do the popular services use? I know youtube uses both h264 and vp9 but that is all i know!

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I suppose that working from means more activity alongside that that isn't exactly working.

Tags: Add Tags