1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Yeah was just thinking perhaps that's just activities - since she does have a spanish lesson remotely next week in place of the one she would normally have before school.
    I don't see why remotely teaching spanish would be an insurance issue. But then I don't understand a lot about the insurance industry.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm not convinced anyone does. I have an insurance guy and I can still find more appropriate insurance for my oddball insurance requirements (compared to what he normally does) quicker than him..

3. Risky

Risky Modder

Just had one of our employees asking why we aren't closing rather than going takeaway as she want to be paid 80% to sit at home.

*&#@ off, we will try to trade on, making bugger all profit and find someone that wants to work instead.

Nexxo, adidan and MLyons like this.
  4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You should have told her that when company goes down under, 80% of nothing is still nothing.

5. Mister_Tad

This flip side of it makes my blood boil - it had to be done really, but there are so many contracting positions that will open up to support all varieties of critical operations and volunteers required, and you have jackasses like that after 80% pay to sit at home and watch Netflix.

6. Risky

Risky Modder

We just opted for "Do you want to come to work tomorrow or not?"

She said she would.

Nexxo, Mister_Tad and MLyons like this.
  7. Risky

Risky Modder

We have to accept that all of the measures announced will be abused be some. But they just have to throw the money at the fan. There is no other way.

8. Mister_Tad

Aye - I just want to believe it's the minority, given that the fundamental problem of everything right now is a shortage of people :/

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Can I ask what kind of business it is you run?

Only ask as you mention going takeaway.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Same here with my daughter, no exams so feeling flat and a bit run down.

At least yours take Calpol, she will only take Neurofen lemon chewable. Paracetanol will be needed some time

Last edited: 20 Mar 2020
  11. adidan

What's the deal with ibuprofen? I half caught something on the news, not sure what entirely as I don't take it.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It may or may not make the effects of covid worse, depending who you ask

adidan likes this.
  13. adidan

Cheers. I did get the impression whatever it was was inconclusive.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The french health ministry isssed a statement a few days ago that is reducess the bodies ability to fight and makes it worse, which makes sense as that how these drugs work! Best to avoid whereever possible!

kim and adidan like this.
  15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

From the NHS website (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/)

Ibuprofen
    There is currently no strong evidence that ibuprofen can make coronavirus (COVID-19) worse.

But until we have more information, take paracetamol to treat the symptoms of coronavirus, unless your doctor has told you paracetamol is not suitable for you.

If you are already taking ibuprofen or another non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) on the advice of a doctor, do not stop taking it without checking first.

Fingers66, Bloody_Pete and adidan like this.
  16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We rarely seem to agree, but on this we agree.

There have been a (very) few mental health workers who have been arguing for social isolation and that they shouldn't have to come to work. The message they got is that we are NHS workers, not the regular public; that often we enjoy special privileges because the public recognises our special status (and we do --we get some fierce discounts and at the moment enjoy a lot of goodwill gestures from business, not to mention excellent sick pay and pension arrangements), and that this comes with special obligations as well. We all knew what we were signing up to when we took the job. Honestly, I despair sometimes.

Ironically infection control says that hospital wards are currently the safest place to be, because they are so infection controlled...

Arboreal, Risky and MLyons like this.
  17. adidan

There are also some management who say that if you are forced to self-isolate then it's not a holiday, as if NHS workers who already do more hours than they get paid for, going above and beyond, are suddenly looking for a way to skive.

A bit of respect wouldn't go amiss.

18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Family are still going ahead with visiting each other while I'm apparently over reacting for saying no. Mums now in a mood I wouldn't take her shopping as we've already got enough

edzieba and Bloody_Pete like this.
  19. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Around 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with flu induced pneumonia, Im also asthmatic. While at the hospital the doctor explained there can be a side effect due to the anti inflamitory nature of ibuprofen (ie it causes vessels to contract in the airway). As stated always seek medical advice from your doctor before stopping/ changing meds. I was advised to move to paracetamol only and a high short term (4 day) steroid dose (I had been running an almost 40 degree temperature so I had been taking a combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen to bring it down) pureley down to my individual medical condition. Its not one size fits all.

adidan likes this.
  20. kim

kim hardware addict

today, I took a great decision, I am a smoker for decades, I am still healthy and my immune system is strong still, not even a flu for the last 10 years :happy:
    I started to lessen few months ago, I think this is the best time to definitely stop, as smokers are more exposed to Covid, as it is really insanely expensive and such a poison, I stop, I smoked my last one yesterday evening, I want to feel free from that addiction, I will only keep my hardware addiction :grin:

Goatee, Bloody_Pete, Risky and 6 others like this.