1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That sucks, at least i think it does, i can't decide if I'd be more P'd off getting a cold or CV.

If it's a cold you still have to worry about CV. :(

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Sorry, old boy - I did also mean to ask this earlier but got called away to pick the kids up from school in my towel (the dining room, so that was okay. Teacher was impressed) and then forgot to ask. Glad to hear it's on the up, but...

...duuude!! Talk about pessimism!

Speaking of which, does this situation mean Star Citizen is going to be delayed?

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Spend the day with me and the doctor would put you on meds. ;)

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Absolute twots

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Staggering, absolutely staggering.
    People will die and the culprits won't be terrorists but selfish, disrespectful and irresponsible *****. Humanity is devolving.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

A few months of lost fertiliser production!? Yeah, that's going to kill quite a few tens to hundreds of thousands of people worldwide through malnutrition. You (or me) personally may just see shortages of foods and elevated prices, but fertiliser shortage = not enough to go around = higher prices on the global market = everyone relying on augmented subsistance farming for their livelihoods (or survival) is now SOL. No internal aid funds can help by throwing money at the problem if there is simply not sufficient product in the first place.
    A global problem != a local problem. All the normal nation-level disaster-recovery techniques assume that there are other nations to lean on (buying food, buying supplies, etc). But here, the problem affects everyone else too. If you're out of fertiliser, so is everyone else. If you're short on food, so is everyone else. Multinational level stockpiles are intended to help out in relief of local disasters (e.g. on the level of several cities or a small country) for a few weeks. At a multinational level, those stockpiles may last a day or two.

tl;dr Yes, if fertiliser stops being produced people will die. Not immediately, but with certainty. Shortages sure aren't going to make food inequality any better!

::EDIT:: I don't mean this as a pile-on-Corky, but short-term thinking has been the cause of such a string of government-level failures that "cutting a critical-to-life industry at the ankles will be fine because it won't cause everything to fall over immediately!" rather rankles.

bawjaws likes this.
  7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I set up folding@home on both my local PC and compute server today, seeing as how F@H is now sending out NCOV-19/COVID-19 work units.

I'm sorry but I'm going to be a total turncoat here and not support the bit-tech team :worried:.... I set up a team at work... (We're not using company resource for it though - all our compute is in the cloud and spinning up cloud compute to run f@h workloads is stupidly expensive)

I feel I'm entirely justified though. I originally set up the very first bit-tech team for folding@home WAAAY back in 2003, so I've already done my part :grin:: https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.p...-superseded-by-joint-cpc-bit-tech-team.37317/. It was a shame that I totally farked up by losing/forgetting the password to the original team, but it was eventually superseded by a joint CPC/bit-tech team...

TBH my numbers wouldn't even be a drop in the ocean compared to what the guys currently in the bit-tech folding team are doing anyway. I'm at the top of the leaderboard for the work team however, so it's all good :grin:. Thrashing the bejesus out of my GPU though, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with leaving my GPU at 73-77 degrees - I've already got the side panel off and the GPU fans at full whack!

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

[​IMG]

adidan and Byron C like this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

10. Risky

Risky Modder

Nice touch.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Who needs kitchen worktop space when you have that thing of beauty on it? And 30kg of coffee beans? I see possibilities. Jittery, hyperactive possibilities.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Everybody's line is different I guess.

Anyway, so anybody concerned how the emergency legislation may be misused in the future? Some legal experts say there's no need as current laws can be used, shown by the fact many of the actions have been enacted before the legislation has become law.

Wouldn't put it past Cummings and BoJo to use this to their advantage.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The UK can't grow enough food to feed itself as it is so i don't think a few months of not throwing chemicals on fields is going to matter either way, sure if we were talking about stopping fertiliser production world-wide for more than a year it maybe more of a concern but if you honestly think farmers not being able to use fertiliser for a few months is going to cause more deaths than CV IDK what else to say.

Either you're underestimating how many potential deaths CV could cause or overestimating how often fertiliser needs to be used on crops or something.

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

... How exactly do you think modern agriculture works? We're well beyond the days of crop rotation.

15. oscy

oscy Modder

TBH he's showing a good point. Those of us who did the right and sane thing are the ones being punished. Next time it'd be wise to hoard. It's one thing to do it on an assumption or through fear of the latest boogeyman, but now it's proven what will happen in this scenario, of course we should make preparations.

This incident has shown that 1) this stuff will bring out the worst in people, of which there'll be too many; 2) if there is an armageddon, there won't be a United Earth Alliance or something, all the countries will just do their own thing, allowing the alien invasion to do what they like with our butts.

I don't know who has seen the charts that started all this...

[​IMG]

... but we're not even spiking yet and the NHS is suffering (more than usual). Brain cancer patients are being left to die, doctors being kicked out their homes. All this while the rest of the country suffers regarding jobs, income, education and whatever the economy becomes.

I don't think the orange option is manageable. If I said I'm randomly going round shove a giant 2 x 4 up your arse, what's the better choice - doing it with a slightly thinner 2 x 4 that's still 3x too big to fit or just making it the shortest time possible? Or do it to enough that hopefully creates herd immunity.

It's like everyone's being pushed off a plane with random parachutes, some have holes in, and told to flap their arms because it'll slow your descent slightly, though you're still gonna fall fatally. They should've packed a couple of parachutes in preparation, THEN you'd have advice that can stop it, but they didn't, and these are the consequences. There are people with working parachutes who could be helping you, but it's inconvenient for them, so that's not an option. But all the jumpers are pushed out so theoretically <0.3% more of the population can live. Yet we don't do this any other time.

I'm mad now and no one's bottom is safe evidently.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Who said anything about crop rotation? I'm talking about not needing to apply fertiliser to crops on a monthly basis and the production of fertiliser not being what would be considered an essential job vis-a-vis the current situation.

17. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Actually with different management practices (regenerative ranching) it is possible to massively reduce use of fertiliser including completely eradicating the use of mined / oil based fertilisers while increasing production per hectare. This however requires a massive change within the industry which won't be quick to happen (certasinly not fast enough. On arable farms it would require rotation between livestock and cereals plus stopping using monoculture seeding.

For a purely livestock farm like ours (our land is beautiful but not suited to cereals) it means more personal time with the animals and less time in machinery but allows us to increase animals per hectare, the trade off for us is that each individual animal is worth less (this will be after we have selected our genetics in several generations) but income will be higher and costs much lower.

Oddly enough just got a link from a French TV station that filmed on our farm last year to a working copy of their show due to be broadcast soon that explains some of the theory, not sure when it's to be broadcast and it is in french.

A couple of links for regenerative ranching below;

https://returntonow.net/2017/11/30/...7hWatBnvYBYcVLPtp5aKbhrYMJIqMs-shnx74p-LEg_x4

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/06/...T2l0coTVj1ANXJzrbkZ84Xn70qRczXqikGftBZh_rZgEY

18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Fertilisers are not mixed into the soil at planting and then left (as is often the case with gardening), but added repeatedly during growth to maintain desired soil nutrient levels without waste from runoff (if you added the total fertiliser load in one go at the start, the majority would wash right out as soon as it rained, polluting the environment as well as wasting money). By skipping out on regular fertiliser application crop growth will be stunted, and may be stunted irrevocably - i.e. that crop may not recover to normal yields even if fertiliser application is later resumed. With crop yields from proper fertiliser use ~10x (yes, it really can be that high!) per unit area compared to unfertilised land, a worst-case scenario could be a 90% crop yield loss due to missing regular fertiliser application.

19. oscy

oscy Modder

Don't know if this has been asked yet, but is anything being done about the marketplace forum? Seems still active, so feels hypocritical to be condemning peple not following guidelines when we're not either. Not sure we should be advocating people going to the post office to post some RAM or using delivery services for a sexy new water cooler.

I'm not sure toilet roll comes under survival of the fittest. More being well prepared so you're not washing your arse with a hose because you stuck up for 'morals' with no one around to give you a gold star.

While I completely blame the idiocy of the mouthbreathing masses doing it, perhaps blame should fall on stores not being prepared for it if they could've been. The same way the powers that be should be to blame for not having a prepared NHS when it gets dangerously strained whether we flatten the curve or not, as much as some people for getting themselves infected and using up said resources.

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You can't blame stores for not being prepared for people who purchased in 2 days the same amount of toilet paper which would normally be on shelves for a month. Hoarding toilet paper is even more absurd when you realize toilet paper is a locally produced item in most countries. The only reason there is a toilet paper shortage in certain countries is because people who hoard them.

But then i guess at least they won't have to buy toilet paper for next few years.