1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals USB K/M Switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by liratheal, 26 Mar 2020.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Soo.. I don't want or need the V aspect of a KVM.

However, I'm struggling to find well reviewed USB switches - Especially when you throw into the mix a Logitech device and an LED keyboard with slightly more functionality than standard (IE: Multimedia controls in my case).

Has anyone used a USB switch that they'd recommend?

I've looked at various IOGear devices, but the reviews seem spotty on what they actually support.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Can't you just use a KVM without the video component plugged in?

3. liratheal

I had considered that - But I'm having the same issues finding one that reviews as supporting more modern "gaming" devices reliably somewhat difficult.

Not to mention that most KVM units that I've seen that might support my two devices (Corsair K70 & Logitech G502) are also wildly more expensive, or bulkier, than I'd like.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

There's a bit of software that allows you to use the same K/B and mouse on two machines, but I can't remember its name.

5. liratheal

Yup, looked into those too, but I didn't like the way they operated (And didn't, last time I used a piece of software that did it.. Synsomethingorother if my hazy memory is to be believed.. The majority seemed to expect that you'd be using both devices on separate monitors, which I wouldn't be.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Synergy. Used to use it to turn an Android tablet into a second monitor, and then again to turn an old amber CRT into a third monitor using a Raspberry Pi. Worked acceptably well last time I tried, but that was quite a few years ago now.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I too would like something similar, you'd think it's a easy thing to do.

The software solution is less than ideal. For example, I can't install non-work related on my work laptop, even if I could, my work laptop won't connect to my LAN, it connect to work via VPN as soon as any network is up.

Currently, I've got everything connected to my monitor USB hub, I then plug the USB cable into whichever computer I want to use. USB extension cable from gaming PC to near laptop USB for quicker switching.

8. liratheal

Yeah, that's the stuff.

It works fine, I just don't like it as I often lost my cursor to a screen I forgot about because it was doing something that didn't need my attention (IE: Playing media). I feel like that would be doubly annoying to me if I was doing it over one monitor - Which, in this instance, I would be.

Yeah, I thought I'd have a load of reddit threads about it when googling, but only found one that mentioned a specific device, and that device has wildly mixed reviews.

I'm the same, I've got a personal PC and a work laptop - Although I can install whatever I fancy on the Worktop, so the software stuff is a plausible solution if it weren't for my own preferences!

I actually went a bit mad on the USB front.. When building this desk top I drilled out two 60mm holes and used the Icybox USB3 hubs with cable routing in them.

The end goal is a dock for the work laptop so I just plug one cable in and I'm ready to go, but with the dock hidden under the desk or something so only the laptop and the 60mm usb hub are on/in the desk.

Last edited: 26 Mar 2020
  9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

10. liratheal

The "new" whore in me has been preferring USB3, but the issue I had with the Aten you link there is that I found as many reviews saying it did as it didn't pass through the Logitech identifiers so the logitech software would work. I can't remember now whether that one also had issues with backlit keyboards or not.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

wyx087 and liratheal like this.
  12. liratheal

Interesting, although it is on Amazon.de it didn't show up in the results when I was searching for KVM's!

Curious. However, thanks for the recommendation!

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I have a USB 3.0 switching hub (four USB ports, two PC inputs), think it is by UGreen or one of those similar companies. It auto-switches but also has a button to manually switch.

Think it cost about a tenner. It's been great, and I'm using it daily to share my wireless mouse & keyboard between my home PC and work laptop.

Edit: mouse is a Logitech MX Master (unifying receiver) and keyboard is a K270(?) that uses a Logitech wireless (non-unifying) receiver. I've used the laptop plugged directly into the hub but currently am running the hub plugged into a docking station.

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I am about to go on a couple of conf calls but will give you more info about the TESmart KVM's after that.

15. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Last edited: 26 Mar 2020
    wyx087 likes this.
  16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'd get an as-mechanical-looking-as-possible unpowered USB 2.0 switch (The more old school the better.) and use it in conjunction with a USB hub for keyboard and mouse.
    That basically means it is dumb mechanical switch that does the job of effectively unplugging and plugging to each computer, which should guarantee the same level of compatibility you'd expect if you did that manually.
    Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sienoc-Port-Manual-Sharing-Switch/dp/B01G1814D6/

wyx087 likes this.
  17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Totally different concept, but how about these? I use this mouse at work to occasionally flick to the NUC powering the TVs on the wall, works a treat.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I tried that with my MX Master the other day (main PC and my ancient Linx tablet) and it worked surprisingly well.

20. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Shame the switching button is on the bottom...