1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And I still remember the Western media going ape-**** crazy about China using police to stop people from leaving their houses. At least they did it right fast enough to actually get this thing under control. Well played, Western sit-on-our-hands politicians. :wallbash:

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

To be fair it sounds like Germany have been more on top of this than most, hence the low death rate.

South Korea similarly, who didn't go full lockdown - quick to act, quick to test, quick to quarantine, quick to let everybody know where hotspots were.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Don't forget that said government denied there was a problem in the first place, arrested and forced anyone who mentioned it to sign documents stating they were lying, downplayed the severity of it for months and essentially locked the man who discovered it in a room alone to die (sorry, they gave him a private room in a hospital).
    Frankly I think the media is going too easy on the Chinese government, they are responsible for this more than anyone else.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I brought up this point recently and was accused of being racist. A thing to note about the private hospital room. They also put him on life support when he was as close to death without being dead just so they could delay the announcement by a bit.

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Spent most of the day trying to work out why my soft phone wont work (logs me out soon as I log in) following all the processes an checking the ID's were right. Finally found out the extension I was logging into, they gave me the wrong one.

6. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

7. adidan

8. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As far as I know it's a power that has been given as a last resort to reinforce that they are rules, not guidelines or suggestions. I've not heard of fines being given out, certainly not commonly. As far as I know the current policy is to tell and advise first and foremost.

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I got stopped last night after I went out for a run, they saw me coming from a fair distance still stopped me an asked me why I was out, you'd of thought being in running gear and running would have been some form of clue. Clearly not detectives.

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I think our place gave up on soft phones and just forwarded our desk phone to our private mobile. Only downside is that dialing out is not a thing and I can't see who's calling other than the office number. Works for me, I still have email.

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Ha, absurd!

MLyons likes this.
  12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

For now I think you can file these £30 fines under "bollocks someone posted on the internet" rather than "reality".

13. perplekks45

Hardly anybody gets tested over here, because it's too expensive. And then you'll have to wait for results for up to three days. A friend works in a hospital in the South. The whole staff are banned from using masks, because they don't have enough. Even though they're dealing directly with emergencies and surgeries. There is a ban on more than two people meeting up, but nobody enforces it. Kids are celebrating Corona parties. I could go on...

Angela, our great leader, gets tested five times a day with results ready within two to three hours. Yeah, we're all equal, aren't we?

14. adidan

How come the death rate is so low comparatively?

15. perplekks45

Health care is good in general and so far it's hit mostly young to middle-aged people. Only 3% of the currently known infected are 80 or older. I recommend reading the Robert-Koch institute's daily reports. They seem to be less clickbait-y and less moronic than what you get to read in the papers. https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Gesamt.html There's an English version as well.

The German government is now talking about triage over here, which is ridiculous given our current mortality rates. So they decided to get people from all over the EU into our hospitals to help the others. Good, you might think, right? Well, people in medical jobs expect the numbers of German people who will be brought to hospitals to rise rapidly in the coming weeks. And guess who won't have beds for those people? Correct, German hospitals. It's like politicians are not cut out to lead in a crisis.... oh. Well, yeah.

adidan likes this.
  16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, a couple of my girlfriends friends are medical (One's a doctor and one.. I don't know whether she's a nurse or a doctor.. I've never really asked about her) and their hospitals are prepping for a large influx of cases.

In a way, I get the taking in of the sick from elsewhere. There's a certain necessity for that, given the proximity, but it does make me wonder how much it's going to impact the ability to deal with the eventual explosion of cases.

Especially considering how few people (around here particularly) seem to give a flying toss.

Girlfriends mother is on chemo, but she still doesn't seem to see the necessity to stop being in physical contact with people. I feel like a right prick because she keeps wanting the lady to go shopping for her, but I know the mother will have the lady inside and on the sofa (because even when we don't have time, that's exactly what happens) before anyone can say "don't be stupid". Hell, apparently they're coming over at the weekend to drop off some entirely unnecessary items. Literally plates. Because "They're in the way" like she needs the space to do backflips or something.

Two (possibly three?) neighbours are still going to work, one is having her parents over to "help" with the kids, and the rest are old, over weight, and/or are smokers. Basically, if it gets into these two buildings half the tenants are going to be in the ICU more than likely.

Bonus round: We're in Bavaria, while one of the larger states, also one of the top three for numbers of confirmed infected.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Not sure if this belongs in this thread or its opposite yet.

I've just been told I'll be furloughed on 80% pay from April 1st.

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'd say in the other thread as at least you're still getting paid!

19. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

800% pay, not having to work. Depends if 20% of your pay generally goes towards facilitating work? i.e. travel?

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I guess you're right.

I'd be VERY happy on 800% pay!
    I guess I'll be catching up on my personal projects for the next month (at least).