1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £5k PC for a friend

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 29 Mar 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

He doesn't need a monitor, and TR while great for content creation is very meh for gaming. Plus although he can spend the money he obviously doesn't want to waste it on stuff he'll never utilise :) He doesn't need a monitor.
    I already added a 10G NIC to the linked build :p

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

In that case why would he need a £700 CPU, a £300 Mobo, a £1.2k GPU?

I'm never really going to understand plumping for a 2.5x cost increase for <50% more performance, just using the GPU as an example (which, depending on the game, screen, refresh rate, you may never use!). That said - we can all think differently about life, and that's okay :)

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

TR3 is not meh for gaming, there is negligible difference between it and a 3950x at settings someone with a high end system is actually going to play at.

Problem with the x570 platform is once you have your GPU, a capture card, an M2 drive and a 10Gb NIC, you have used all of your lanes, the system has nowhere to go from here.

Would you spend 3k on a system that has no expandability left?

Bloody_Pete and Omnislip like this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Why by anything other than the basic is thats your thinking then? If you want the best GPU for gaming, you spend the extra, its that simple.

Oh yeah, totally, my bigger gripe with x570 is the f**king chipset fans! Why, WHYYYYYY, has no one done a passive board? Its not like we live in the time of decades of R&D into motherboard thermal solutions!

I did actually forget about the 10G card and the capture card using PCIe lanes. Although I don't see it as a big issue because once oyu have all those things there's not really much to add!

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its fair to say a capture card might be redundant with a load of CPU cores so that would free up lanes but if not you might want more M2 storage because it is awesome and multiple cheap M2 are easier than to source at a reasonable price than one big one, that is what I do myself, if you are throwing around big video data it is nice to have, but sata SSD could fill that gap, it is not exactly slow.

The ROG board you posted at least allows 3 slots in an 8/8/4 and 2x M2, so wired better than some x570 offering decent expandability.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2020
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Most data will be dumped on a big NAS, hence the 10G networking, so I doubt there'll be much storage onboard other than games!

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

In theory a 10G system shouldn't need this.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

This is where you need to know his process and software, with my own scenario which is not streaming but editing most of my runs with multiple streams, this is using hundreds of Gb of data, and I limit that because I don't have enough local capacity on cameras to cover the best res/bandwdith.over 30-40mins, the NAS is just storage, you can't work from that, too slow with these sizes, though I don't have 10Gb yet, as I am slow to adopt, but even if I did, NAS has large low speed spinners and I just off load source to NAS when done, so it is not critical, but it does lead to some finger tapping when I want to pull some back.

His work flow could be fine with all that, makes it hard to spec without knowing what they really need/desire.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Ah, the NAS I have spec'd has space for multiple SSD's for caching :) Should be fine for it :)

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm not even sure if he plans on making video at this stage, he just said he wanted to archive streams.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Then SSD caching would have very little benefit, caching is for frequently accessed data probably wasted in this scenario.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK recently I had to decide whether or not to go TR. All I can do is post my findings, and decisions.

I decided against it. For many reasons.

1. It would need custom water. The only company making a dedicated TR AIO is Enermax and it's terrible.

Normally I would ignore videos like that unless someone had directly reported to me that theirs failed. If you think about how many people bought the original TR you wouldn't expect the odds that someone you know would have a failure. Before I bought my 1920x I knew of one friend who had a 1950x. He had that cooler there, and it indeed failed. The pump simply stopped. Now we know why. You can't really use an air cooler on the new TR it simply generates too much heat, and you can't really use say, a Corsair 360 as the cold plate simply isn't designed for (and thus big enough) for TR. Water cooling TR is pretty critical.

2. Did I really need all of those lanes? not really. I just wanted a really quick machine, without going HEDT. This means that if I have a board failure out of warranty finding a replacement will be p*ss easy. Rather than when my X79 board failed and MSI didn't have anything and neither did the shops. 11 months after I invested. AM4 boards are literally everywhere, and I can't see that changing for a while. They're still making B450 boards for example.

3. I didn't want to HAVE to have four sticks of RAM in order to make the most out of the rig. That's not really applicable here, but it would have been more added expense.

4. The TRx40 or whatever they are called boards are hella expensive. If you're just a content creator and gamer? X570 is easily more than enough. You can have two NVME PCIE SSDs at least, a X16 GPU and as much SATA storage as you want. Right now at least games do not want or need anything more than SATA speeds. In fact, Linus did a group test recently and every one he tested picked a SATA SSD over NVME.

I know, he's a bit squeaky and annoying at times but the video and the results are well worth watching. I have watched hundreds of videos recently. I kinda knew about my windfall about 3 weeks before it hit, and had already started doing serious research and number crunching. I realised I did not need or really want a super high end board, so watched a ton of videos. My TUF is 12 phase, plus 2 for the RAM. More than enough. However, I digress a little there because that was what I needed, rather than wanted.

5. Cutting back on the board and CPU allowed me to have other luxuries. I decided to buy the Kingpin, because out of the box it boosts to 2050, making it faster than the Titan RTX. So whilst it may have seemed pointless and stupid to pay £500 over the odds it was more than worth it. I've got it to 2150 already, just by running a automatic scan. When you consider that a stock FE 2080Ti can manage around 2050 tops, and usually 2000 to 2030? that's quite a big uplift. I expect 2200 out of it really at least, which is 10% higher clocks than a FE or low end card. It idles at 22 (thanks to the 240mm cooler) and the phases are so beefy it should withstand anything I throw at it, without resorting to custom water.

So yeah, those were my reasons and why I decided against TR. It's just such a massive whacking outlay for power even I couldn't utilise. It's even been said that only companies like Pixar can even get the most out of it, so that would make someone like me look kinda daft.

Also, don't think that AM4 X570 is a dead socket. I believe we will see 24 core chips on the platform. Especially when you consider that X370 started out on 8 core chips and can now take a 12 or 16 core. The smaller Ryzen gets the more they can pack on it.

One last thing, Pete.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/der8auer-ryzen-3000-oc-aio-mounting-frame-hs-00b-dr.html

Again, lots of video watching and research.

Make sure you watch that. Due to the 3900 and 3950x having "shifted" cores you can get a bracket to shift the AIO cooling plate. Mostly because of this.

[​IMG]

The cores are not centred. I've pre ordered mine.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  13. silk186

silk186 Derp

Linus did a crazy build to edit 4k over NAS.

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

All footage is not created equally. Even restricting ourselves to talking about 4K video only, you have a range in bitrates from around 10Mbit to 12Gbit.

On the low end of the scale, you could edit video directly from any half-decent NAS, 10Gbit or not.
    And I'll assume we're not talking about the top end of the scale, since memory requirements alone working with uncompressed 4K would tank the budget.

And if he's not editing, the speed of the network and the NAS is more of a convenience factor than a requirement anyway.

So this:

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Tut tut, 2 sepperate kits of RAM, naughty naughty. Plus a 4TB SSD isn't work it at all, and a 500GB NVMe will be annoying (games are hitting 100GB these days). And then only a 2080 Super? :p

Just to put everything in context, my friend's spec that he originally linked me to was this, answers on a post card please :p

16. Vault-Tec

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

lol tell him you'll slap him if he buys that PSU :D

18. Vault-Tec

Dude look at it, then tell me what's wrong with it.

GeorgeK likes this.
  19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

But it's a GameMax, what could be better - like GAME TO THE MAX DOOD.

Also it's a mining PSU, has a squllion PCIe and molex connectors, and is almost a foot long

20. Vault-Tec

2000w, no wait 1800w and a 92mm fan.

[​IMG]

Bloody_Pete likes this.