1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Does any of this smell like poo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 17 Mar 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

X570 Tuf gaming plus. That's the manual page.

It seems I may have misunderstood though. Apparently the PCH on X570 gives 16 more lanes via the chipset. So I may be able to add my 256gb viper too without losing GPU lanes.

I'd need a pcie card for it but they're only about two quid.

2. Vault-Tec

It's good news. It means the sound card won't eat any lanes from the GPU. It also means that the 256gb Viper I got can actually go in, instead of being an expensive ornament lol.

[​IMG]

It won't fit on the board now as the heatsink isn't needed (and I am not risking yanking it off) so I got another of these, that worked very well with my U.2 drive.

[​IMG]

So, I can now migrate the OS over to the 256, leaving me with 2tb (an no wires, hurrah !)

3. Vault-Tec

Sound card came yesterday, SSD came today. All fitted in no issues, blue cable does look a bit pants. I have ordered these as they got great ratings.

[​IMG]

Hopefully the 1m won't be too long. If it is I will get a black 60cm. It works perfectly though and all sounds great. SSD was no issue at all either, picked it straight up.

There is one thing I don't like. In the front the rad mount is 120 or 140. I have a dual 120 AIO in there. However, when you sit back you can see the gaps around it. Not really what I wanted out of a rig like this. However, I ordered a pair of these.

[​IMG]

I won't be hooking up the RGB though.

4. Vault-Tec

OK, those USB cables don't work. So it's plan B.

[​IMG]

I've ordered it in two sizes (10mm and 15mm) and will see how I get on. I also got this

[​IMG]

So I am sure that I can come up with something more suitable.

The one thing that is super annoying is that the sound cards are not being held at the bottom of the PCIE slot. Even if I had the genuine Lian Li cable it would not stop the secondary input card from doing it. They bend in when you connect things. I had two options. Drill through the bottom of the slot so I could bolt into the holes in the cards (not a fan) or make something out of 8mm acrylic and stick it in with 3m to stop them doing that. I ordered the 3m and acrylic. If that fails I will have to drill the case, but I would rather not.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Do you mean the PCIe card diesn't stay in place or the sound cahrd doesn't stay in the socket?

6. Vault-Tec

There are no inserts for the tabs on the cards. So all that holds them in is the screw.

7. Vault-Tec

Ugh. Decided to hook up the frames. I had to get this to do so.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't have, but HWC did a video on the neons today that I was looking at and I cracked.

[​IMG]

I suppose it will be nice to actually see the hardware in there.

The PCIE NVME thing came today so I will get that done later.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is what always happens with these projects!

Vault-Tec likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

I only really wanted them white. Or just a standard, non pukey sort of colour. I just love the way those LED neons look when they are lit. It's literally seamless.

Sadly the frames seem to be 12v, with the neons DRGB. IDK yet if the board has both but I think it may.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I used to work with people who made massive art installations out of them! I think BigClive has some good videos on them too.

11. Vault-Tec

Real neons? yeah pretty amazing stuff. This is obs just LEDs under a strip that diffuses the light.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

No no, those LED strips, faaaar cheaper and easy to use! They use to use AI and algorithms to make light art.

13. Vault-Tec

Oh yeah I think I saw Clive's video. They certainly look way better than the glare of direct LEDs.

I know not to raise my hopes too much and expect white, but the brown heavily tinted panels diffuse a lot of glare so anything just to show what's inside will be nice. I tried to get neon strip in white, but sadly it looks like you either can't cut it or it would be a git. I don't even want to get my soldering gear out on this rig. It's bad enough I have to make something to hold the sound cards in, but that's as far as I am going.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, totally, its the same on mine, with my fans off you basically can't see inside, but on full they're too bright!

15. Vault-Tec

I dodged another bullet. The board has two 12v RGB headers and one addressable.

So I may not even have to buy anything else :D

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  16. kim

kim hardware addict

Those led neon strips are awesome, thanks for sharing, and your rig is more and more... :jawdrop:, I love it, what else but "indulge oneself" in all ways during those times of troubles :grin:

17. Vault-Tec

I'm a big believer in Karma, paying it forward and so on.

This happened out of the blue one week before lockdown. Now I'd be okay because I've been isolated for 10 years pretty much but I need to stop my mother going insane. Without this I'd be really stressed right now.

So yeah, a great distraction mainly from all of the fake news that I'd probably be obsessing over right now otherwise. That's also why I'm doing it slowly bit by bit.

Frames came today so hoping the other stuff ships out today but yeah, no rush.

kim and Bloody_Pete like this.
  18. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

I got that done last night. It took about twenty seconds lol. That's what you get for having a three day HL2 marathon ffs. Any way, as I said no rush. I was rather pleased though. Mainly because the one in there already is upside down which is annoying my OCD. I don't want to try and remove the cooler, as they weren't cheap so I will have to live with the annoyance. However, I got my bonus from the fact that the board is upside down, so usually you would see the underside of the riser and nothing else. Not only will you see the drive, but the logo is also the correct way around :D

19. kim

kim hardware addict

:cooldude: I understand you very well, I read your posts in Thunderdome too, and I would say that my life is somewhat similar, isolated for years (but in my lost piece of land), practising social distancing since a long while, my gf is far and trapped in her corrupted country, so visit her is just impossible now that we're all locked down:wallbash:...then, apart from my collection of PC, loneliness is my room-mate...:sigh:
    I'm taking care of my aged mom (87yo) who suffers from a slight alzeimzer, luckilly she acknowledges me and people, but she wouldn't be able to survive without me, so, since everything stopped, I indulge myself with hardware items: my main addiction :grin:, and even if people all assume I'm an ermit with a propensity to consume, I don't give a F...K, otherwise I would just crawl the walls:lol:
    however, I hope this crap will end ASAP, I try to busy myself as much possible, gardening and tinking, lurking on BT, but I go nuts sometimes and feel a strong urge to bust it up :grin:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  20. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Burn eyeballs, BUUUUURN.

Bloody_Pete likes this.