1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Sounds similar to the position I applied for, I just finished an hour long phone interview, it went very well but you never can tell nowadays. Fingers crossed that I get through to the next round.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

There's only two things to do in a lockdown. Drink 'n build stuff.

The Lawgiver is getting closer to paint! Spent some time dremelling out the slot for the screen and the LED. I need to build a little cover for the section of the glock grip that I had to make disappear, fine tune the screen window (With files, rather than a power tool..), glue the trim pieces on, prime and it's ready for some paint action.

I need to decide whether to build my own, or buy, a stand for a Glock. I have a 3D printable one ready to go, but I think I need some space for electronics and whatnot as the nearest power I have is 12v, and this wee beasty needs 5v so a buck converter is needed. So some wood and more sanding might provide a more immediate solution. Food for thought.

[​IMG]

[ZiiP] NaloaC likes this.
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So, back in November last year I was told that my blood pressure was too high. Not by much, but enough to make my GP say I'd have to take pills against it. I convinced her to give me three months of proper exercise in and then we'd check again. She agreed and after a slight delay I got my results in mid-March: less than 5% of a 24 hour period was spent slightly above the target blood pressure (could be due to climbing stairs or literally any other light exercise). This meant no pills for me and a massive boost to my motivation. Luckily I started writing down all my workouts in detail even before that and so now I'm proud to be able to say: today I reached (and left behind) 1000 km on my Taurus Ergo-X since January 5!

I did quite a bit of weightlifting in parallel and while I lost just 4-5 kg (113.x to 109), I lost fat while gaining muscle and strength. Today I feel about as healthy and strong as around 9 years ago when I still played football and ran 12 km in under an hour.

Pete J, Vault-Tec, xaser04 and 3 others like this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

A&W Root beer. Mmm mm mm.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Booted up my main PC in what feels like forever (working from the same desk over the last 3 weeks has made me not want to be in the room after I "log off") and got everything updated ready for some D2 with the Mrs tonight. Actually looking forward to gaming.

Also thanks (in a way as it feels weird to say thank you for it) to the lockdown I have for what feels like a long time taken a step back and thought, damn my PC is spot on and I don't need to upgrade anything. Feels quite nice tbh. :)

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Heresy!!!!

perplekks45 likes this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

'Need' - what is this word?

No, I don't understand.

perplekks45 likes this.
  8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That way of thinking will kill progress and the economy. At least we found somebody to blame already.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I had been thinking of upgrading my PC this year, move up from R7 2700 to R7 3700X or 3800X but, then got to thinking I really didn't need to as my PC is plenty fast enough. On the other hand I didn't "need" to spend £679 on new headphones, when I decided to upgrade them instead...

10. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

There comes a realistic point with all machines that they're more than capable of doing the job they're tasked with, so upgrading IS pointless.
    The only upgrades that have a relative degree of urgency are - for example - adding more RAM, but even then diminishing returns kick in faster than many realise.

Realistically, all I could do for mine wouldn't really be an upgrade, but I'd swap out my 4K/60 monitor for a higher refresh 1440p unit.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

Re-arranged the office room today; both our desks are now along the wall perpendicular to the window. Took me about 5 sweaty hours, all told, but I'm glad I did it. I have no more glare on my screen from the window! I can leave the curtains open in the day and still see the screen! More importantly, I can now have my camera on top of the monitor like a normal person. Previously I had to have my camera at weird side-on angles in order to avoid the other half being in shot. Not a problem normally, but when you're in lockdown because of a global pandemic and you're having video calls regularly.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Want that desk (the pine-y coloured one)...

Edit:
    Ahh - can that monitor shelf be left off...?

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Found it in a charity shop years ago for £50 (plus delivery), it's absolutely huge and I love it. My other half's desk came from a charity shop also, we've been really lucky finding decent desks in charity shops. Hers is a lot smaller though...

The monitor shelf thing is free-standing, it's not attached to the desk at all. It's just an Ikea thing with some legs screwed into it - I forget what it's called. I used to have two of them when I had three monitors but I threw one away when I dropped back down to two. Kinda wish I'd kept them now because it'd give me a lot more desk space back! Ah well... I definitely need it right now because I'm not sure the amp can stand up to having a 16kg monitor perched on it!

I'm still undecided over getting a smaller amp - I currently have an Arcam Alpha 8R and it sounds great, but it's a 'proper' hifi amp so it takes up a lot of desk space. I definitely need new speakers though, one of the speaker cones is cracked. I've treated them ridiculously well, so they were probably abused before I bought them - I did get them for an absurdly cheap price...

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nice breezy weather, cold drink, good music, phone on mute.

almost dont want it to end.

Goatee likes this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Went out in the garden earlier for a bit of sunshine on my face. Was nice. Birds are in full song again, bless em.

Goatee, kim and adidan like this.
  16. adidan

The Kites were floating above the garden today, never gets dull.

Then a walk in the nearby woods, not a soul in sight. I do know how lucky we are to have that on our doorstep, even moreso at the current time.

17. kim

kim hardware addict

Yeah, today was such a sunny day, like a high summer day, I started to dig a large piece of my land to expand the vegetable garden, I'm even thinking about building a henhouse...looks like l'm gonna become a real farmer :grin:

18. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Fitted a new internal door in the house this morning, then trimmed the bottom foot of the hedge down one side of the garden to allow me to install chicken wire to stop our dogs going next door and bothering the neighbours.

Absolutely shattered now, I think I might have some sun burn too.

kim, adidan and Vault-Tec like this.
  19. adidan

Sounds lovely.

One day we'll get enough land for a big vegetable plot and some chickens. Fancy a goat or two as well - they seem absolutely bonkers.

Not enough space yet though.

kim likes this.
  20. kim

kim hardware addict

same here :yawn: ...exhausted, but an healthy tiredness as we say, furthermore, I gotta lost a few kilos of fat I gained since I stopped smoking...:winking:

Goatee likes this.