1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coronavirus Thread

Discussion in 'Serious' started by d_stilgar, 13 Mar 2020.

1. Risky

Risky Modder

Very Trump.

Not sure that we have an actual shortage of PPE in the UK, from what I hear, but more of a problem in getting it out where it's needed.

But anyone buying medical PPE for home use has to face that they are attempting to outbid some health system somewhere.

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

There is both, one of my friends is a special care of babies nurse and her department has none. Literally nothing, no gloves, no masks. Her hospital is getting some supply and she has been 'assigned' some but when it comes it goes straight to intensive care. The hospital has also gone round local industrial/food suppliers, pharmacies etc and got whatever they can from those people. They're finding gloves particularly hard to find since they need sterile gloves.

Where I work we do minor eye conditions, except right now we don't because no sterile equipment available and it strikes me as counter productive to hassle our supplier for gloves and masks needed elsewhere. Sanitisers/disinfectants are in short supply too. Whatever the issues with distribution there isn't enough stock in the system to distribute to begin with, which is a serious embuggerance.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Technically it is not a typical shortage of PPE's either, but extremely increased use resulting in "normal" amount being used up much faster, so much faster than factories can't keep up. Instead of using a medical mask for 1-3 patients a day you use it for every single patient.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavi...AL-20-March-2020-updated-on-22-March-2020.pdf So they are refused supply or it didn't arrive?

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Had an eye role moment this morning, guy cycles past on the phone, one hand on the bars, other holding the phone with long white dangly things that lead to a crumpled up face mask.

6. Risky

Risky Modder

:wallbash:

7. fix-the-spade

8. Risky

Risky Modder

So the hotline just tells them no?

9. fix-the-spade

The hotline says it's coming keep waiting.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Also companies and NHS trusts may [or may not, depends who you ask] have had stockpiles as a result of brexit no deal planning...

...which is fortuitous on one hand [assuming it is true ofc]... on the other, they're still running low despite that stockpile and they now no longer have the stockpile to cover the thing that they stockpiled stuff to cover.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I'm making a bunch of them, i think I've already made like 70 of them.

Pete J, Gareth Halfacree and adidan like this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Pete J likes this.
  13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Where's Gareth with the "eat the rich" mantra when you need him..

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that anyone who has an annual net income with as many or more zeroes as there are numbers in account numbers just shouldn't be paid again until the health care system stabilises in whatever country they are currently in.

I read a response from some cabbage headed footballer to the suggestion that footballers give up some of their, often vast piles of, cash and he said he'd be fine, but others might not. All I could think was, what about people who have no job, no savings, and no relief in sight? Who won't earn, in their lives, what one season pays a high profile footballer? Same for those celebrities that sang 'imagine'. Assholes, the lot of 'em.

Pete J likes this.
  14. Risky

Risky Modder

The Covid Business Grant funds came in this morning so I have go and pay about half of it straight back out to our suppliers to keep them going.

Pete J, adidan and liratheal like this.
  15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

At least you've got some flow, though. Must be at least some weight off your shoulders!

16. Risky

Risky Modder

We will be back on the OD limit by the end of June unless we get some income so we still need the loan to come through.

To be honest no one seems to have any idea of what the summer season will look like here. Will we have any visitors at all? Will people be keeping social distance? Some shops and many main streets in old downs aren't built for social distancing.

17. Risky

Risky Modder

Another ugly one is all the beach lifeguards that were expecting to go back to work about now have been told they have two weeks pay and no work for now. Seems wrong, we will surely need them back fairly soon and what are they supposed to live on? There are folks that have all been through the full training and so on.

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The irony is, you are raging against millionaires after being sent against them by billionaires.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

EAT THE RICH...

...just maybe make sure you cook 'em thoroughly first. Can't be too careful these days.

20. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Helps to render the fat down too. Or in the case of footballers it softens the sinewy meat.

Arboreal and liratheal like this.