1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Anyone fixed a tv before ? Sony bravia 6 blinking lights

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by stephen0205, 5 Apr 2020.

1. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Hi guys. Sorry to bother. My sony 65 inch tv stopped working. It turns on. Displays the sony log and turns of, its like a flash. Then it shows 6 blinking lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuRX4hi... - video here - 8 seconds for the flash

So i had a look online. Found the service manual here.

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_kdl-65w855...

I also found on page 11 the blinking light diagnosis. Shows could be Panel module, bmx board, or g board possibly.

[​IMG]

Moving to page 19 i found a diagram from which i assume its these parts (didnt include panel as i assume thats the screen)

[​IMG]

Then on page 40 i found this diagram to show how to check. I have ordered a multi meter altho have never used one before (will check youtube to learn)

[​IMG]

Also came across this. Showing what it could be. No idea what the LVDS or Tcon is.

[​IMG]

Sooooo, i also checked on youtube and from the same revisions i found a few videos with the same issue, but all had back light led issues. They open the tv, take off the panel , check the led strips and replace the led if skilled enough , or the strip itself. None of which seems to be in this service manual ?

The fact the screen lights for a second does that mean the leds could be fine ?

Any advice would be great. I found a site for buying the parts

Main board for roughly £60

https://spares2repair.co.uk/sony-kdl-65w...

The power board is about £35

https://spares2repair.co.uk/sony-kdl-65w...

and can source led strips form £10 upwards. The led testing looks to require a different tool for that, can that be done on a multi meter ?

I have been able to check the part number for the bmx board (one with hdmis) but haven’t had a look at the power board for part numbers.

Obviously id like to save as much as possible, happy that the parts are not horrendous in price but getting the diagnosis right and save my self as much as possible as money is slightly tight.

And im hoping its one of the boards, removing that panel with the glass lifters gives me the fear from watching some of the videos.

As always community thanks in advance.

EDIT. Turns out the multi meter order has been cancelled. Can someone recommend one of these three ? would any be ok to work on the tv.

CHEAPEST

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-5896...

MID

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proster-Multime...

DEAREST

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Multime...

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have a Proster multimeter. It's cheap, but it works.

LVDS: Low Voltage Differential Signalling. Think of it like HDMI, but for inside the TV/monitor. It's how the driver board talks to the LCD.

T-Con: The driver board.

One piece of advice: be very, very careful. While we've (thankfully) left the days of charged cathode ray tubes behind, the inside of a TV is still a pretty dangerous place to play - especially if you've no experience. Powered off, you're fine - as long as you don't lick any capacitors - but if you're trying to trace signals, just be aware that there will be places where mains voltages are exposed. Be super, super confident that you're poking the right bits with the multimeter probes or you'll break the TV, possibly the multimeter, and maybe even yourself.

3. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Thanks guy , i have found a good few youtube videos on people checking stuff and hopefully that helps, im thinking the red meter from amazon, see how it goes, from what im reading on the manual and seeing online its looking more like the leds that possibly went but still unsure, obv with the lockdown no where is open to take it and the places local ive contacted wont touch over 55 inches because apparently the panels crack easier with he 65s

4. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

With regard to multi-meters when buying cheap ones it is often a good ideal to buy some decent test leads as in the event of you touching something you shouldn't it is the lead / test probe you will be holding and relying on to protect you. Also the leads supplied with a cheap meter are more likely to fail / give poor readings especially at low levels (although so is a cheap meter).

5. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Thank you man

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

To get a general flavour for the principles and precautions of mainboard repairs, and to maybe get eyes on what decent equipment looks like and how to handle it, Louis Rossman's videos on Mac repairs on Youtube are worth a look. Wildly different area, much smaller capacitors, smaller traces and lower voltages involved, but many transferrable principles. He's one of the most skilled circuitboard technicians I know of and watching him do repairs is like watching a magic trick.

7. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

Thanking you buddy, i think i saw him once in a linus video ? possibly.

His equipment looks to be more expensive than i was hoping lol

8. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Yeah, one of many reasons why I haven't braved this sort of stuff myself yet! I considered practising full capacitor replacements on old broken monitors, just to get a feel for it, but gave up on the idea because most devices you can repair with these skills aren't worth repairing. TVs like yours are the notable exception...

9. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

There's videos on back light repair and how to test them, it seems it only needs a duff led for the whole shebang to stop working on most modern tvs so if the fault code is pointing at back light then odds on that is what has happened.

Also if one led is out you have to weigh up the odds of the others starting to fail in short order after, it may not happen but dont be surprised if it does, but as a quick fix testing and replacing an led or strip will be the cheapest option for getting it going most likely.

10. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

well all is well and ends well. Upon removing the screen it cracked, me and my partner were very careful lifting it with the suction cups i bough, my end came loose. I caught it, but it was enough flex to crack it.

Silver lining, im up a multi meter, some suction cups and pinched the tv from the bedroom for the living room till all this is over.