1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays What would you do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 8 Apr 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What will you be using it for?

Edit: I'd go for the IPS over VA every time. My current screen is VA and I loath it, I'll never go for another, I'll pay extra for a IPS next time!

3. Vault-Tec

Slow paced games. Nothing competitive. I currently have a 32" HP B&O which is pretty old. IIRC I have had it for at least 3 years, maybe even 5.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/157686f

In fact the response time and refresh rate are notably worse than the Asus panels. Probably because of how old it is. I do have it running 70hz over DP though and it's been great. I don't want to replace it either, I would set it up on the wall above the triple/uw monitor.

Ed. I don't mind VA. The HP is VA and it's been a pleasure.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2020
  4. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I can't be the only one that followed on the title with - "if your son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor 'cause he's hungry"

I've had all types of panels, last was 32" HP Omen 75hz VA jobbo, current is a 32" LG VA 1440P 165hz Gsync jobbo, I've had IPS dells and TN dells / AOC's, don't see an issue with VA panels personally.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

It's miles better than TN. My eyes jump for joy after I've spent a week with this Alienware lol.

Refresh is awesome but yeah, this rig at mum's does that.

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Depends what you're wanting them for, for gaming I'd rather have a single large screen (for the game) and then a second smaller one (for other bits I might want to see whilst loading etc) over multiple same size.

For work I'd rather multiple screens.

7. Vault-Tec

I do use Photoshop a lot. Mostly for designing stuff to cut with the plotter. I guess it would mostly be for racing games and sims.

I'd like one of those 49"? ones but man, teh price.

And yeah, I don't plan to replace the 32".

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

If you use PS / Illustrator then get the bigger monitor, you don't realise how good they are until you're forced to use a smaller monitor!

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I immediately thought of this (NSFW)

The_Crapman, adidan and modd1uk like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

Which always makes me think of the song "Where were you?" from South Park lol. Ladder to heaven... One of my fave eps.

The_Crapman likes this.
  11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its the ghosting/smearing you get! I had a IPS, in fact its still my second screen, and the VA is awful. I'd never get another.

12. Vault-Tec

TBH I am leaning toward the 3 IPS any way. Just found out they support adaptive sync too, which could be the cherry on the cake.

I can't say I have ever noticed smearing or ghosting on my HP. That said, as long as the image is nice and bright and has a good colour contrast I'm usually happy.

13. Vault-Tec

hah ! and another total U turn. Spent all day looking at monitors when this popped up in the Warehouse.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/ROG-STRIX-XG27VQ/

Listed as "Very good". £303.

I'm really not too bothered about resolution these days given nearly everything can be scaled internally now any way.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'd go one bigger one over multiple smaller ones.

Coming from someone who ran 3 24's and two 2's at work for years.

One really good monitor > multiple "meh" monitors.

15. Vault-Tec

The whole ultra wide thing was worrying me. Mostly because all of the games I like to play loads don't support it.

Maybe in 3-5 years I will consider it then. I guess it is if the consoles support it next gen that we would see more support for PC games with it.

16. liratheal

Maybe, only time will tell I guess.. Is ultrawide a requirement?

17. Vault-Tec

Nah not really I just fancied something newer. I've had the HP a long time. Possibly as much as 5 years. I kinda wanted something curved too. I'm usually quite slap happy with monitors, so long as they don't make me go boss eyed.

I also don't like the Freesync range on the HP. It's pretty much useless tbh. I did double check the Strix before hitting the button, and...

https://www.esportstales.com/tech-t...patible-freesync-monitors-tested-by-community

XG27VQ

It works without problems.

And the range is awesome. My biggest problem has been anything sub 70, as IIRC my monitor doesn't kick it in until about 40? something like that. So anything between there and "Anything goes" is nasty. Fallout 4 at 52 FPS was pretty terrible.

My panel wasn't really high end when I bought it, I just needed to get away from the absolutely dire Acer 4k TN I had. IIRC I paid about the same for the HP which was £330 from John Lewis.

18. liratheal

Hm. I don't know much about free/g sync stuff to be honest. I know the monitor I have now has freesync, and I know it's enabled, but I don't know what to look for to notice a difference!

19. Vault-Tec

It'll have a range. Out of that range it does nothing.

20. Vault-Tec

Nah they are problematic. Especially if you are uber fussy. Could be crap tbh, won't know until it arrives.

I'm hoping it was someone super fussy who sent it back due to a tiny bit of BLB. Not because it has crap loads of dead pixels, as I trust Amazon's warehouse testers about as much as a chocolate teapot.

Bloody_Pete likes this.