1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What hardware upgrades are you putting off (hoping for a refresh)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 16 Apr 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I could really use a new case (RX 480 overheating) and a new keyboard (mine is starting to have issues), but I'm delaying upgrading but because I'm hoping for a refresh.

Fractal Meshify C refresh - I don't really want to buy a new case that is missing USB-C and I've read that the audio ports have issues.

Ducky Mecha SF - I would really like to replace my RK61. I can't find anything reasonably priced that are as small with arrow keys. The Ducky One 2 SF looks to tick most of the boxes but I would like a metal backplate. The 2020 Ducky Year Of The Rat is also an option but pricing and availability could be challenging.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

15870499779318273057923637733981.jpg
    See that slant, yeh that. I want to go to a front distro plate, but I can't justify the cost!

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've refreshed everything to a point i'm happy with, the next thing will be a GPU.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Fighting the call of Ryzen....
    I am repressing the desire for an Asrock B450M Steel Legend with R5 1600AF; looks a lot of grunt for the money and would make a good little workstation.
    However, my ITX H370 with 6 core i5 8400 is similarly capable and doing all I need at the moment.
    Also on another track, I'm actively ignoring the used DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone locally on Gumtree that would be a fine upgrade camera wise from my Mavic Pro. Damn thing has some down £150 despite 'no offers'on the original asking price.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Twiddling thumbs on a CPU & mobo upgrade, at least until the new Intel platform pops up (two gens per socket, same as it has for a decade). Single-threaded performance is what I need, so current Ryzen offerings would be more of a sidegrade (and for memory and storage latency, a step backwards), adding more cores would just be wasting money.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

[​IMG]

Arboreal, Bloody_Pete and adidan like this.
  7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I am of course thinking about a GPU and CPU upgrade, probably used, when the new chips are released. CPU and GPU releases are very predictable though and delays are known far in advance.
    I asking, how many people are holding off replacing something like with a less predictable release schedule. As in the case and keyboard, I'm waiting for that haven't been announced.

adidan likes this.
  8. adidan

Oh I just replaced my mouse a week or so ago, my case a couple of months ago (and one for the secondary rig too).

Bargaintastic warehouse mouse buy and am liking it. I prefer good value and something I fancy rather than holding out but thats just me.

9. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Toying with buying a new GFX card but for the games I play my R9 390 is still holding on. However if I could pick up a 2070 or similar cheap either 2nd hand or when they clear through. However, given the wobly economy dropping several hundred quid on a want rather than a need isn't really an option.

10. adidan

Which case and keyboard are you holding out for?

Curious as I can't say I ever keep up to date on what is around the corner on the case and peripherals front.

11. silk186

silk186 Derp

Fractal Meshify C refresh - I don't really want to buy a new case that is missing USB-C and I've read that the audio ports have issues.

"With both the Define and Meshify C being among the most well received and best selling cases we make, we'd be crazy to abandon them. Can't really say much more than that though since I'm not able to talk about future release plans and such." - Fractal-Design support.america

Ducky Mecha SF - I would really like to replace my RK61. I can't find anything reasonably priced that are as small with arrow keys. The Ducky One 2 SF looks to tick most of the boxes but I would like a metal backplate. The 2020 Ducky Year Of The Rat is also an option but pricing and availability could be challenging.

I don't have any evidence that a Mecha SF will be released, but the zodiac cards (year of the pig) are very popular and the Mecha mini seems to be doing well. I don't think any retooling would be required so I'm hoping something will be announced soon.

adidan likes this.
  12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just waiting for something better than a 2080Ti, the number of times I have almost caved and bought a 2080Ti but holding strong.

13. adidan

Ah you see i've a avoided getting into keyboards, I know that's a rabbit hole I could easily fall down spending money and losing my mind on the variety of options of caps. :happy:

14. Vault-Tec

Well it's official. Monitors are now rocking horse poo.

15. Vault-Tec

It's annoying, as I had finally settled on a solution. Ah well, now I just need to control myself. TBH it's not worth ordering anything now any way, nothing is arriving.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It took me almost a year to decide on my latest case change.

Keyboards I'm less picky about, as mechanical switches don't change much so if I can get a switch I like in a platform I want from a brand I trust then it's all gravy.

17. silk186

silk186 Derp

I was on Microsoft natural keyboards but after going through 4 of them I needed something different. Also, my workspace shrank considerably. As a result I needed a TKL or smaller. To save my wallet I've only gone with Chinese mechs which I bought while in China. After trying enough models I know what I want.

18. silk186

silk186 Derp

My problem is the form factor. I'm using the RK61 right now, a 60% board with brown switches, backlight and arrow keys. Because it is wireless it is solid and heavy enough to not move around but the caps and stems are cheap and loud. No regrets as the board goes for £18 on Taobao and allowed me to try the 60% form factor. The size is perfect but premium alternative like the Ducky Mecha Mini is missing that arrow keys. I'm sure I could make one if I didn't have a budget but that isn't an option.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

That's not a bad feature set from that size. I've not seen something comparable while looking for ISO-DE key caps the last few weeks.

20. silk186

silk186 Derp

The Dierya DK-63 is the only comparable board I've seen but I wouldn't expect it to be any better.