1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Have lost audio on the laptop and about to use it as clay pigeon

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 20 Apr 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Unsurprisingly, I have (another) stupid tech issue that between the combined might of myself and Google, I still cannot resolve.

The small laptop has decided it doesn't want to play sound from its speakers. It's happy to do it via a Bluetooth connection, but the "Intel SST Audio Device (WDM)" is sulking and has locked itself in its room. This does not seem an unusual problem according to the internet, but none of the fixes I've tried are helping. Sorting this out will ease the pressure on the home schooling-weary other half (and prevent me spending days looking for a solution) so all assistance appreciated.

Stuff wot I've done:
    • updated Windows (10)
    • uninstalled/reinstalled via Dev Mgr
    • uninstalled driver and tried using HD audio driver
    • could not find any sensible Realtek driver up/downgrade on their website
    • cannot find newer driver using Dev Mgr properties options
    • have reinstalled all device drivers (Asus T100)
    • turned to gin as a respite
    If anyone can offer any workable solution to this, there will be much thanks from this end.

2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Try full choke and 36g of #6 shot?

Possibly more usefully, have you double checked that it’s set to play through the inbuilt speakers rather than some phantom playback device?

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ha! Yeah, they're set as default audio device but I don't even get the funky little green EQ levels. It says Speakers on the volume mixer, I cannot get a test tone out of them (which I'm assuming would work regardless of whether they were set as default) and when I run the troubleshooter, I get something like (can't remember the exact words) "Audio service not running", which when I look in Services, actually is, including some of the ancillary services as far as I've found online.

I only have the speakers and the last-connected Bluetooth speaker as options, and neither are giving it the green ravey EQ.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

1) Try tapping FN+F10 to unmute. Most of the time this is just a softkey to control the Windows (or other OS) volume control, but in a handful of devices it talks to the BIOS to enable/disable the chipset audio device (doesn't look like the T100 has a hardware mute switch on the side, which is the usual culprit here).

2) Go into the BIOS, note down the boot settings (legacy or UEFI, RAID or AHCI for the boot device, etc), and perform a factory reset (and a BIOS update if you have a USB key handy).

3) Download the appropriate chipset driver directly from Intel (no idea which you have, Asus has a pile of different device all called the 'T100') and install that.

4) Install whatever Realtek drive Asus provide for the OS type you have (e.g. if you have Win 10 64bit, you'll need the Win8/8.1 64bit or failing that Win7 64bit driver), then follow the arcane steps here to get the latest Realtek driver, because Realtek are arseholes.

5) Threaten to reprogram it with an axe.

LennyRhys and Arboreal like this.
  5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I have to remember that one.

kim likes this.
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Cheers bud! I worked through in sort of order but got these results:

1) I have no idea what it thought it was doing, but it certainly didn't look as if it was muting itself. It did display the volume level though, so I assume that was it unmuting. Still, no sound
    2) I didn't want to do a reset as I've only just reinstalled and set everything up again following a crash
    3) I've reinstalled the driver I had, then went to Intel and d/l'd their analyser, which determined I only needed a graphics driver update, so I did that anyway
    4) I had the latest audio driver, but re-d/l'd and reinstalled anyway, then I followed step 1 from the link (for two reasons - not mad on running unknown script on the machine, plus I'm looking this solution up on a different machine), but my driver was not listed. It's rtii2sac.sys from what I can tell, but they have no mention of that
    5) I've told it that if it doesn't start behaving, this is next on the list, unless I can resign myself to only using Bluetooth speakers. Awaiting a response from it

This should be easier than this, right? I'll try the Win 7 driver from Asus...

EDIT: No Win 7 audio driver, strangely. I think my version is the TA or TAF, from memory.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2020
  7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Try downloading the latest driver from here and installing the FF00 version.