1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking New world o/c record set using X9100 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 20 Apr 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Well, this cheered me up.

Through no application of any skill whatsoever other than running some A/V scans, I noticed out of the corner of my eye in the system tray that I appear to have hands down set a record on the above kit that I assume will be very impossible to beat until the mainstream advent of quantum computing or its successor:

Record o-c.jpg

I am considering running online tutorials throughout lockdown if anyone is interested, but I cannot guarantee your results will be similar to mine.

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Bah, I'm not upgrading until we get 100 GHz CPUs!

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I did have it pushed to 105GHz at one point, but at these speeds it's a different process to recognise you've clocked too far.

It was completing games before I'd even decided I wanted to play them that day. Had to back it off a bit.

The_Crapman and Spraduke like this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That's fantastic. Were you using LN¹⁵?

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

No, it was surprisingly basic. I made sure everything was nice and shiny on the inside like I've seen online - the sandpaper lapping looked like too much hard work, so I got some Mr Sheen from under the sink and just polished the top of the CPU. Stuck it back together with some bathroom mastic I had knocking about and if it looked like it was getting warm, I gave the kids a shout and got them to come and blow on the laptop intake until temps subsided to around the 68C you can see in the screenshot. Surprised how effective it turned out to be.

Hey, don't go telling anyone the secrets online though, otherwise I won't be able to sell the tutorials.

damien c, kim and The_Crapman like this.