1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The pandemic specific thread.

I was aiming it more at me than you tbh, I have to watch my urge to send threads off on tangents :happy:

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Finally got round to watching return of the skywalker last night
    [​IMG]

adidan and Fizzban like this.
  3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

If the voting slip is wrinkled and has a brown smear and "smells funny" that should count towards the no decent candidates option. Nothing quite says the options are arse like..aah, well you get the idea.

adidan likes this.
  4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

:hehe:

Come on, it wasn't THAT bad. Perfectly watchable nonsense. It's not as though the original trilogy films are flawless either.

6. The_Crapman

My experience of this one was much like the first of the new ones: "Ok this is alright, yeh this is moving alon.. oh there's a little ref bomb... along ok, that's kind of like return of the Jedi, that's a bit empire strikes back, shoehorned reference, some added goonies, they can do WHAT now!!!??? Some more Jedi, I am your father yawn, no that's ridiculous, shall I just go watch the old films or are you going to do something original? well that was cool, oh wait now they're just taking the piss, soggy ending likely from all the fanboy jizz.

I know the last one was boring as feck, but there's no need for another copy+paste sloppy seconds job. It's just lazy. lazy lazy lazy lazy lazy, like 90% of films at the minute that are pointless sequels or remakes.

d_stilgar likes this.
  7. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

its JJ abrams, what do you expect ? its not like he has ever shown he has much in the way of a creative mind, his biggest projects have basically been copy and paste sloppy seconds

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I know that the most recent films are divisive. Here's my take. We needed to show that Star Wars could still be good again. We had to make up for the crappy prequel trilogy. So, The Force Awakens is a modern take A New Hope. Most of the familiar beats are there. We introduce new characters and start to take this in a new direction, but it's mostly trying to prove that we can still put that star wars "dna" into a movie, to make something that feels like a star wars film. It slips in as being a cold-reboot, proof that star wars films can at least be competent, and an okay foundation for something interesting to come next.

The Last Jedi is especially divisive, but I'm in the camp of it being particularly good. I think the people who hate it either misunderstand the force or misunderstand star wars. Here's the thing, star wars has always had this thing about "bringing balance to the force" and there have always been these guys, the Jedis, who have been hyper focused on the light side of the force, completely rejecting the dark. So what happens? We get these hyper dark enemies who rise up as a result, as the natural and expected balance to that light side of the force. So we have Luke who feels conflicted about some ethical issues about having premonitions for the future, but realizing that he'd need to do something unethical in order to prevent more evil from coming. In retrospect he sees that he helped cause the problem he was trying to prevent. Rey is grappling with both the light and dark sides of herself, perhaps moving us toward a more holistic view of the force, both dark and light existing in all of us.

And here's a big thing I think most people miss about the second movie. The main protagonist, the person with the most complete character arc in the film, is Poe Dameron. He's a cock-sure fly boy with aspirations for leadership. He's loved by his fellow pilots. He wants to be a leader, but doesn't trust his own leaders. It's his hubris, going against orders on the secret mission to the (goofy) gambling planet to try and save everyone, that actually backfires and destroys the plan for the rebels to escape in secret to the planet's surface so they can wait it out.

So Poe's screw-up is what directly leads to the battle of Crait. They put up the best fight they can, but they have no chance of winning. Poe, who at the beginning of the film went against orders and continued the bombing run, has learned an important lesson about running to fight another day and leads everyone to a safe escape. Luke helps by being a really great distraction, but ultimately the movie's hero is Poe because he's the one who grew as a character.

But then some fans back-lashed. Literally the best, most "star wars" film ever to be made got some people angry and they were outspoken about it. But it's so good from a film-theory standpoint and is relatively efficient and fleshed out for a movie with an ensemble cast. Muppet Yoda is great. The very simple filming tricks used for the Rey/Kylo force link shots are so convincing. Like, it's literally them just doing over-the-shoulder conversation shots but with Rey and Kylo Ren on two different sound stages, then they just stick them in the same shot or add some sand/props from one place to the other. There's no special effects here. It's just good camera work.

Anyway, so the fans get mad and uh-oh, we better rethink this whole star wars conclusion. A very loud minority happens to dislike it. The result is the third film, the Rise of Skywalker, which makes no sense whatsoever. The more you think about it, the less sense the movie makes. And this is the direct result of the studio caving to the criticism and writing some crappy fan service garbage. People wanted a crappy ending, apparently. They want the series to repeat itself over and over, never saying anything new. It's awful.

And there's a lot of flip-flopping between episodes 7 and 8 as well. Episode 7 uses so much film language to say that Rey is important and related to someone important, probably Luke. It's text. It's obvious, and not just a red herring either. Then Episode 8 works really hard to undo that, but without the associated film language because we don't have a film language for retconning the thing we were trying to do before, so it doesn't ever stick and it just feels like Kylo Ren trying to get under Rey's skin. But at the same time there's this idea planted that the force is for everyone, not just important bloodlines, and that message is strong and welcomed if we're ever going to progress the series beyond the characters from the original trilogy, so okay. Then the third film flops back to the original plan only it's crappy because now I have to imagine Palpatine's wrinkly eggplant getting some action and somehow that's where my suspension of disbelief ends.

Also, why do Jedi wear robes? Obi Wan wore them in the first film because he was in hiding on a desert planet and wanted to blend in. In the later films, Luke wears whatever. But then the prequels come and we get this weird thing where Obi Wan is in robes. So he escaped to Tatooine dressed as a jedi and then just stayed dressed up as a jedi but was living in hiding and nobody ever found him or suspected he was a jedi? It's so dumb.

Last edited: 5 May 2020
  9. The_Crapman

I strongly disagree on almost every point. I did not want a remake, I don't think they needed a remake. We already have the originals and if you want the original films, they are there to be watched. They could have even re-released then at the cinema again before force awakens came out. 7 would then be a follow on from them, could have cameos, little nods to the originals but used sparingly and make them significant/meaningful, not overdone, overused and blatantly obvious and crass as they were.

The best way I would have thought would be to open with a scene with original characters and then introduce the new ones, people immediately see characters they know and love, new character comes in and is liked by association (hopefully). Instead they essentially went for a scene for scene remake. Slowly as the film goes on you go from "hey that's like in a new hope", to "they did that in a new hope too" to "this is just a new hope". Dull, boring, meaningless, pointless, unnecessary, wasteful.

How anyone could think 8 was good in any way is beyond me. 1 character from a whole ensemble having one of THE most cliché character arcs does not make it a good film. Nothing meaningful or of any consequence happens, other than luke dying. While it's not necessarily the film's fault because it seems like they forgot they'd made any new films while writing the 3rd, but you could remove it entirely and it would make no difference to the overall storyline, all you'd need to do is amend the scene at the end of 7 so that Luke dies once found, or is dead already. Then there's the 2 hour "space chase" which is completely and utterly retarded. All the first order would need to do is get some ships to do a quick hyperspace jump in front of the rebel fleet and attack them from the other direction. To just aimlessly lull behind them and wait for them to run out of fuel is so stupid it's like the plot from spaceballs 2. It is a terrible film.

9. Well , it's like they've put empire and rotj in a blender and sprinkled in some bat-**** crazy. They've probably had a writer's meeting and got people to shout out ideas for the film, any idea at all, then once the flip chart page was full went "yep, that'll do. Let's do all that then.". I started watching, was reading the into credits and got to the bit about the broadcast from Palpatine. "Wtf!?" I thought, "I don't remember that from the last one at all." and then spent 15-20 minutes figuring out that it wasn't in the last film and such a shocking revelation has just been slapped on text to read right at the start of the film. I mean... :eyebrow::rollingeyes::jawdrop::duh:

What makes this all the more annoying is that rogue one was a fantastic film. It showed they were capable of making great original content in the franchise.

d_stilgar likes this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Rogue One stands out for me by a mile.

Absolutely love that film.

legoman, Pete J, d_stilgar and 3 others like this.
  11. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Is it weird that i agree with both of you?! :lol:

Pete J and d_stilgar like this.
  12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

To me TFA failed at that on every count. It's Star Wars through the lens of JJ Abrams and the guy's spectacularly lazy, he just takes what's gone before and slaps extra special effects over the top. The low point of TFA to me is when they're briefing thet attack Death Star+ and literally frame it by going this was the Death Star, here are plans of Death Star+ and it's THIS BIG. Then some random pipes up that Death Star+ has to have a weak point and on cue Princess Leia points at a spot on the hologram and This is the weak point, it's the bit we have to blow up. Abram's movies are full of this kind of thing, he needs some exposition to advance the plot, so he inserts some exposition to advance the plot. Never mind that 30 minutes earlier nobody knew Death Star+ even existed, they've got access to the plans after all, spy network something something next action sequence.

I still think TFA is the best of the three because it's a re-make of Star Wars, which is such a good film that even remaking it badly gets you something watchable. The second two don't even have that, as a result they're just relentlessly and aggressively stupid. As fashionable as it is to hate the prequels they are all much better films, even The Phantom Menace tells it's own story and sets the stage for the Emperor's power grab. They have some absolutely terrible dialogue in them, the new ones manage to match that too. It's a shame because I really liked the characters, just the script they're in is terrible.

On the subject of making Star Wars but new I think Rogue One did that as well as anyone's going to. It's got the look and the action, but also delivers a mostly coherent script too.

The_Crapman and d_stilgar like this.
  13. The_Crapman

Yes AND no? :hehe:
    If they replaced most of the actors with the log from Ren and Stimpy it'd probably be an improvement. The prequels were decent films with terrible acting, the sequels terrible films with decent acting, solo had all of the above.

14. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I agree with most of what you said, except that I find the prequels truly unwatchable. I've been meaning to do a fan edit to cut the trilogy down to a single 2.5hr film to try and salvage them, but every time I start in I realize just how much time I'll have to spend with them to do that and I stop.

Rogue One is a gem. No need for familiar characters. It buries the lead quite a bit and the payoff is great if you didn't read spoilers before seeing it. It takes a single line from Episode IV and expands it into a whole movie without falling into the "remember the time . . ." trap that Solo does.

Solo is problematic. I actually don't completely hate Alden Ehrenreich as Han. It's really hard to meet the bar Harrison Ford set. I don't think he does, but I'm not sure anyone could? Again, I don't hate his take.
    The heist is fun and would have played better as a straight heist movie, but they didn't do it that way and it feels clumsy and overpacked. They were trying to do too much.
    The movie's biggest failing is that it falls into the "remember the time . . ." trap of trying to answer every question or expand on any line given in the original trilogy. How does Han become so cynical? When did he get the Millennium Falcon? Did it used to look weirder? How did it change to look like the thing we know and love? How did Han meet Chewie? Remember the Kessel Run?
    The Kessel Run is the worst part of the movie, but its presence is the most obvious since it is such a big deal in all the other movies.

Also, I love all the discussion here, even if many of us disagree. It's fun.

Pete J likes this.
  15. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Actually, no they haven't. That was a concept from the prequel trilogy.

Which completely undermines his character arc from the original beloved trilogy.

Because Disney wanted more money and copy/pasted the threat from the original trilogy, making everyone celebrating at the end of the original trilogy look like complete buffoons

A rehash again. That was Luke's journey in the original trilogy. It was always about the transition to adulthood and the choice between pro-social and anti-social behaviour.

That leader was a total stranger to both Poe and the audience, and the film actively encouraged the audience to see her as shady, then admonished the audience for being mistrustful of her.

Did he? I thought they all would have been dead if it wasn't for Rey's deus ex machina.

Again, Poe's actions would have gotten everyone killed if it wasn't for Rey, who didn't factor in to his plan at all, and Luke's redemptive action was not showing up. How satisfying.

But then most fans back-lashed - FTFY

Many see it as the worst start wars ever made because it's the least Star Wars movie ever made - by that I mean that Star Wars has always had a classical structure, whereas this was a deconstructivist tale. Popcorn doesn't pair well with postmodernism.

It was muddled, narratively inconsistent, and spun its wheels. And the cast was the same.

Compositing with motion-tracked camera movement is a special effect.

This I agree with, apart from that people wanted a crappy ending. They actually wanted consistency, and satisfying character arcs. The Last Jedi, the middle act, derailed the trilogy by leaving it nowhere to go

Exactly, which is why it feels so disjointed and inconsistent. The writer/directors job in this context was to continue the story, not undermine it.

Nope, that's just Disney messaging in defence of the choices of The Last Jedi that you've internalised. From a lore aspect it was always that anyone could be strong in the force (If you consider the Jedi Council from the prequels - do any of them look related to each other?). The reason that the Skywalker Saga focused on the Skywalkers is because, just as in real life, genetic predisposition helps. It's much more likely that Usain Bolt's child would grow up to be a champion sprinter than Danny DeVito's

Agreed, but only because there was no way satisfactory continue from TLJ

Film language - specifically iconography.

Last edited: 6 May 2020
    The_Crapman likes this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

To me, what saves the franchise are Clone Wars, Rebels & The Mandalorian.

17. The_Crapman

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I now have coffee all over me and the furniture. Totally worth it. I'm going to use that line as often as I can. Brilliant.

Arboreal and Pete J like this.
  18. uerseya

uerseya Covered in rock wool

Can we go back to politics? .... it's less controversial :geek:

My take, I wasn't happy I spent money seeing 7 and 8 in the cinema :duh:

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You know what ruined the newer Star Wars films? The 'fans'.

The fans were entitled little shits who yelled and screamed and stamped their feet when they didn't like something. The way Kelly Marie Tran was treated by so-called 'fans' was horrific - her role in Rise of Skywalker was cut to zero because of the backlash from 'fans', and she was subjected to absolutely sickening racist and sexist abuse. There are more instances of fans being entitled little shits, but this one stands out the most to me.

I don't blame Disney any more than I do any other megacorporation: they'll do whatever makes them money, and if that involves appeasing self-entitled frothing and screaming 'fans' then you better damn well believe that they will do whatever it takes to protect that profit base.

d_stilgar, IanW and Pete J like this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Had to look that up as I didn't know about it. I can't even begin to understand how there was any issue in the first place. Genuinely confused.