1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Build for up to £2000, ideally £1500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slambittech, 7 May 2020.

1. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Budget: Up to £2000, Ideally £1500.
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming, streaming and video editing.
    Parts required: The whole pc part build.
    Previous build information (list details of parts): Have several 1t hard drives for data.
    Monitor resolution: LG UltraGear 27GL850-B Quad HD 27" 2560 x 1440p.
    Storage requirements: fast SSDs 512gb minimum
    Will you be overclocking: no
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): possible wifi, wifi adapter needed
    Extra information about desired system: Has to be as quiet as possible.

I have tried a build but maybe there is a better build available at around £1500 in UK?

1. Ryzen 7 3700X
    2. Corsair H100i Liquid cooler
    3. MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard (Is it worth getting a better board?)
    4. Corsair 16gb DDR4 3600 RAM (Is it worth getting 32gb?)
    5. Sabrent Rocket 512GB M.2 2280 NVME SSD
    6. Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070 Super
    7. Fractal Design R5 case, (chose this as its meant to be really quiet case and small)
    8. Corsair TXM 650w Gold power supply
    9. Need wifi adapter?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/P2kFMc

Open to any suggestions please.

2. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

yes, the previous one is 9 years old, only hard drives will come across. lol
    Which motherboard would you recommend? the tomahank has come recommended.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The B550 board are litterally just about to launch, I'd wait for those :)

4. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

cool, thanks. Everything else is ok component wise?

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would not pay that for a 2060 or 2070 Super. That is madness. For context I got a better 2070s for less than that 2060s.

https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...MING-X-8GB-Overclocked-Graphics-Card/VGA5676/

Is probably about the only GPU I would buy right now. If you are happy using that CPU until the rig gets very old then the rest is fine, but if you were looking to upgrade to a newer Zen I would wait for B550.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

7. Vault-Tec

I just wouldn't pay that for that GPU. Or the 2070s. It's principle more than anything. Nvidia just ordered a crap load of stuff, which means these will be EOL at some point. They're supposed to drop in price, not go up.

Nvidia have stated they are having no supply issues at all, so there is gouging going on.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just another reason to wait then. But it is what it is if governments aren't going to stop it!

9. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

I understand that the gpu is a rip off at the moment, but for streaming i understand that NVENC encoding is beneficial.
    Looks like I will wait for the B550 motherboards annouced today that manufacturing for June release, then i will see the prices for everything at that time of purchase.

Vault-Tec and Bloody_Pete like this.
  10. Vault-Tec

You will probably find GPU prices drop by then also. As soon as govt slackens the lockdown retailers will have no excuse.

I doubt very much that the CPU you have chosen will struggle with streaming at all, FWIW. Coupled with the 5700 it would make a potent combo, and AMD GPU prices are pretty much where they should be and were before. That said I definitely advise waiting on the 550 boards. Rumour has it that Ryzen 4000 won't work on B450.

But yeah, PSU prices are taking the piss at the moment too.

11. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Yeah hopefully prices will drop, I am definitely going to wait now, might even wait till Ryzen 4000 is available. Just reading on the new budget cpu and they are astonishing competitive and just wondering Ryzen 4000 would be even better performance. However I don't know whether can wait that long :). June is long enough lol.

PSU have always been expensive in my eyes, i mean even at £75 4 years ago EVGA G2 750W I thought that was ridiculous. However looking at todays prices, that is looking at being a great price. :)

12. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You put in the fractal R5 as it's meant to be quiet and small. Whilst quiet it's by no means small. If it's small you're after you could go for an matx motherboard, often the sweet spot for b450 and likely b550 given their popularity.

If you like the fractal styling there's the Define Mini C which lops a good 10cm off the depth. Alternatively there the Meshify C Mini which has a more ventilated front panel, which would allow you to run the fans at much lower speeds. The full ATX Meshify C isn't all that much bigger, adding height but no more depth.

Alternative matx cases would be CoolerMaster MasterBox NR400, Thermaltake S100 TG (only just released so not much stock about yet), SilverStone SST-RL08BW-RGB.

I'm in agreement with VT, in that prices of most higher end GPU's have gone up by about £100. With b550 and Intel 10 series due out in the next month or so and the current price hikes, might be worth holding off a bit till things die down. Don't forget Nvidia 3000 series and navi2 are expected around autumn.

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

With the amount of countries pumping money into their respective economies and the corresponding impact it has on the currency I can't see the opening of lockdown bringing down prices I reckon they will continue going the other way along with the prices of everything else we import.

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That's a fair point. Could be a long time (years) for the global economy to recover completely.

15. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Yeah I should of said, The Fractal R5 is alot smaller than my current case, NZXT phantom 820 (The case is a monster and heavy). I have used the Fractal R5 before and it meets the needs and very happy with that case as its very quiet. Its just damn expensive for a case.

Yup, I have advised the owner to wait but entirely up to him if he wants to or now. I have also gave him the option for 2070 super or the 5700XT :)