1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Waterwerks ICON V1

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ICONchad, 8 May 2020.

1. ICONchad

ICONchad What's a Dremel?

This project started off as just a simple build for sim racing. I was going to get an 011D, do a basic custom loop and call it a day. Being a artist..a creative..whatever you want to call it always makes it hard to just do just the basic. So like many things I've done..it's certainly snowballed into a whole different animal. I started this almost a year ago but got busy working 7 days a week and finding a manufacturer for some of the custom parts proved harder than I expected. At one point I almost scrapped it and went back to the O11D idea because dealing with vendors with zero customer service was a nightmare. Anyways on to the good stuff. Spec wise it's solely for iRacing which relies heavily on single core speed and uses another core or two for minimum tasks so that's why I stuck with a fast 9700k.

9700k - cpu lottery 5.1, delidded and direct die mounted
    16GB gskill trident z 3600 mhz
    Nvidia rtx 2070 super - Zotac twin fan - single slot (you'll see why later)
    500gb m2 ssd
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE
    PSU ( wanting to get the corsair sf750 but psu are impossible to get right now)

water cooling parts
    EK velocity cpu block nickel
    EK monarch ram block nickel
    EK Vector RTX RE nickel and nickel backplate
    Custom chipset block
    Custom VRM block
    EK DDC 3.2 pump
    EK 240 PE x 2 radiators
    4 x 120mm fans..currently uncertain what I'll get
    EK m2 heatsink
    Bitspower fittings, they've got the telescoping and variety that I need
    Bitspower nickel plated tubing
    EK Amber orange fluid..altho might just do clear.

Now on to the case..
    I was really inspired by Hans peder sahl use of distro plates
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BzOYmsyACEZ/
    and also by Ben Q modern artistic style
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu5ZydOBFWd/

ultimately I went with the barrow rhopilema distro display "case". It's a big distro plate that you mount the motherboard to and has space for dual 240 rads on the back.
    View attachment 72133
    View attachment 72130

2. ICONchad

Reserved for final photos

3. ICONchad

4. ICONchad

The plan was to delid and direct die cool my 9700k. Unfortunately that meant I couldn't use a monoblock for the gene because they are designed for the stock ihs height. I saw this as an opportunity as I had been wanting to learn fusion 360 for a long time. So I got the basics down and go to reverse engineering the vrm heatsink so I could design my own waterblock. After I recreated the heatsink I got a sls 3d print made to check my work. Next up was designing the flow path which proved difficult because of the lack of space between the eps cable connectors on the side of the motherboard and the cpu cooler. The first design ended up being too restrictive. The second design which employed a dual layer acrylic top proved to be a bit over engineered and difficult to manufacture. So I went with a dual chamber design to break it up and I think lends to the final design a bit better (which you'll see later)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sam__ likes this.
  5. ciaognep

ciaognep Minimodder

EKWB good choice

6. ICONchad

Since I designed a vrm block for this build..why not do one for the chipset too.. This went thru several design iterations as seen below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sam__ likes this.
  7. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

This is cool. Just makes me wish I had the tools to make a VRM block!

8. ICONchad

I wish I did too, It's certainly not cheap to have low volume cnc done but It's fun to design something and see it made in physical form.

ivory2k19 likes this.
  9. MADPC

MADPC Minimodder

yes I think the same!

10. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Will you be outsourcing this? I just assumed you had a CNC/Mill.

I used to have access to a laser cutter at work, should have taken the opportunity and made a distro plate! Hindsight and all.

ICONchad likes this.
  11. ICONchad

Singularity is doing the acrylic part of the build. I wish I had my own cnc, it would certainly allow for some fun projects.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  12. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

He does some clean work!

13. ciaognep

ciaognep Minimodder

to use autocad is a second work

14. ICONchad

[​IMG]
    This build is using the barrow rhopilema distro plate open chassis. It's a nice design with one major design flaw in that they went thru all this trouble and didn't include a ddc or d5 pump mount. So basically you have to mount one externally on the back and theirs is the only that fits..I may just take the basic idea and do my own so I can have a integrated ddc.

MADPC and Canardwc like this.
  15. ICONchad

rough tube run ideas, what do you like better? I'm leaning towards the bottom version.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. TempeMod

TempeMod What's a Dremel?

Wow cool distroplate, really giant

17. ICONchad

[​IMG]
    Well the other day was pretty bad. Even though I pressure tested the barrow distro plate, after a couple days running fluid it ended up leaking. It was just barely leaking and at first I thought it was just reflecting the color of the fluid but it somehow got past the oring. If anyone wants it for a cheap price let me know.

I'm trying to be positive and this just means I get to design the back distro myself which will allow me to do it the way I want. Long nights of Fusion 360 ahead..It's all part of the journey!

ivory2k19 and ciaognep like this.
  18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Get some neon dye and hunt down that leak instead. The O-rings can be changed or the bad spot can get a bit of silicone sealant.
    Also: Nothing is stopping you from stacking plastic to make more complex channels. :D

ICONchad likes this.
  19. ICONchad

Ya I thought about it and just replacing the seals but I was feeling a bit limited with it so on to better things

20. ICONchad

Late night musings have got me thinking a lot about literally stepping outside the box. Traditionally computers have been boxes sitting on our desk, and with rgb, tube runs, fluid colors, distro plates, and the like..How can the design be elevated beyond this container of 90 degree flat planes. If its a prominent thing on your desk..how can it be an artistic creation that's appealing to look at. When I look at a Ferrari I see beautiful flowing lines..maybe a window or two to see the engine..radiators and fans are not really something that's shown off..anyways just rambling out loud. I've come up with some wild designs late at night..hopefully they will make the light of day. Even if its just for me.:rolleyes:

MaximumBubbleMods and Dot_Kappa like this.