1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My first build in ten years... (SFF / Ryzen)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlydoors, 10 May 2020.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Colour me a 'huge' SFF Pervert :p

sandys and Goatee like this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

In a case you can only get in the USA for $220.

earlydoors likes this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I just do it, live and let live! If people don't like it then they're allowed to have that, but lots of others do!

Vault-Tec and earlydoors like this.
  4. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Thanks all for your continued comments on this thread, I'm definitely learning more. I do want to go in a different direction for the case and rather have something that I'd like to hang onto for a while. My reason for getting something small is that I don't have too much space (footprint) to work with, so the smaller the footprint, the better for me. The system won't be moved and will just sit on a desk.

With that in mind, I've been looking at the NZXT H1 (pricey but looks good and comes with CPU and AIO cooler...but unavailable until July) or the Fractal Design Define Nano S - to name a couple. I much prefer cleaner / simpler looking cases - so any other recommendations are welcome!

Guest-18698 likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The ones with HDMI on AMD will only work with an APU. Or rather, a CPU with a GPU on it. So make sure that the APU name ends with "G". All of AMD's other CPUs do not have anything on them, and the boards only have it for the APUs. Also, make sure you look up the CPU/APU support as some boards do not support Bristol Ridge apparently.

Basically as with anything else now you need to do your homework. I would look up CPU support on the board you have in mind, then download and read the manual to get the juicy stuff.

6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

If you budget is a bit more than the £50-60 range, then the boutique world of SFF cases is now your oyster. Current trends are for SFF cases tend to be sandwich style, traditional or console. Special shout out to (https://www.lazer3d.com/product/lz7-overview/) as a UK company who do some nice cases too.

Sandwich style examples (motherboard one side of the case, GPU sitting behind motherboard with a spine sandwiching the two):
    • Dan case A4
    [​IMG]

• Loque GHOST S1
    [​IMG]

Traditional examples: (GPU plugged into PCIE socket)

• N case M1
    [​IMG]
    • Cougar QBX
    [​IMG]
    Console style: GPU sitting in same plane as motherboard.
    • NFC Skyreach 4 MINI
    [​IMG]

• dr.zaber Sentry
    [​IMG]

Bloody_Pete and earlydoors like this.
  7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

On the AMD side the 3400G would sort you out in a decent board that supports HDMI 2.0 if you don't want GPU power, maybe even a 3200g with less cores if you don't need grunt, alternatively you pick something like a 31/3300x + passive GPU.

Not sure about Intel side but its integrated graphics is likely to do it also.

Last edited: 12 May 2020
  8. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Good looking build with no compatibility issues - would say that £140 for a 600W SFX PSU seems expensive, even for a good quality one. I've run you're build through Seasonic's power supply calculator, swapping in the 5700 since they don't have the 5500XT yet and it uses more power. Your build comes in at a recommendation of 384W or more assuming the 5700, so that would be more than the maximum you would have if you go with the 5500XT. You could stick with SFX and go for a 500W PSU - how about the Silverstone SFX-L 500W for £80?

Cut the pictures out of the quote. All of those are way over budget by £100 or more (350% overbudget), or out of production (in part I assume due to being crowdfunded which usually means limited production runs).

Case wise I've always thought that's personal preference. Personally speaking I'm looking at the Silverstone Milo ML08 and the above PSU as a starting point to replace my HTPC (which would be sandwich style) since it's fairly business like and cheap at £65-70 (and only 175% over your budget), for the non-handle version. They also make the RVZ02 case which has the same internal layout but has a different look, for the same price.

The only thing to keep in mind is that Ryzen 4000 CPUs will be off-limits on that motherboard, limiting your upgrade options to 3000 series only. And if you were to go with a B550 motherboard instead, then your chosen Ryzen 2600 won't work, but it is difficult to justify the extra £40+ for the 3600 when it's no more than 10% better off in benchmarks.

EDIT: Just seen the 1080p/60fps in the OP. For that I don't think relying on the iGPU is a good idea regardless of AMD or Intel. Intel iGPUs are good for 4K video playback and not much else. AMDs APUs (CPU with iGPU) aren't bad but they don't have anything currently available with 6 cores. I think the 5500XT you've originally suggested is the best option for you.

Last edited: 13 May 2020
    Goatee likes this.
  9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I have a Fractal Define Nano S, I got it for £28 new open box on the bay of evil, houses an H370 Strix m/b & i7-8700, using the iGPU. Whilst I am not pushing it thermally, it is perfect for my needs. Unobtrusive, VERY quiet (with Noctua fans), covered for dust filtering, takes ATX PSU's and full size GPU's (if I ever need it), sits on the corner of the desk and just does its job. I could throw the 1070 from my gaming rig in it right now and it would be awesome.

I run it with a couple of BeQuiet SilentWings intakes and a couple of Noctua push/pull on an H55 exhausting out the back with the solid top cover in place, VERY quiet. I have owned a few Fractal cases of varying models & sizes and I am completely sold on the quality and on how long they last.

Whilst it isn't as small as some of the (cough) hugely expensive options presented here previously, it is still way smaller than the Evolve ITX. Much better value in my opinion.

Here is what I would get if buying new right now (and listening to your needs):

Ryzen 3600 - £152
    Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro AC WiFi - £123.59 (pre-order but with Scan so worth a punt at that price) (edited to correct my mistake)
    Fractal Design Define Nano S ITX Case Black - £59.99
    Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz Ryzen Tuned DDR4 - £94.99 (I'm sure there is cheaper quality 3600MHz RAM)
    Crucial P1 500GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD - £68.99
    Seasonic Focus GX550W 80+ Gold Modular PSU - £79.99 (£10 extra for the 650W if you'd like, depending on your GPU choice)
    Windows 10 Pro - £5-£10 on ebay

That is £568 £590 and leaves you enough headroom to add a good CPU cooler & case fans (for temperature and silence) and a much better GPU. It'll last you many years.

However like others have said, if you are not desperate for a new rig, I would wait for the price drops (hopefully) driven by the new Intel and AMD hardware soon to land.

Last edited: 13 May 2020
    Goatee likes this.
  10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Totally, I had a the RZ02 At one point (that and the milo are gateway drugs into the console styles) but the OP did say he fancied a £350 case, so I took that as a excuse to get my SFF fetish out in public again.

Your hardware options look great and I totally agree in terms of value, but a good case can last multiple builds, same as a PSU, so why not get something you really like. Unlike a PSU you might actually be looking at a case a lot too (especially if like the op it’s going on a desk).

In terms of tiny packages, however, if the western petite market is too pricey, I can get into the Asian or Eastern European options, if that’s your thing.....

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats what hacksaws are for :p

sandys likes this.
  13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Funny you should say that I am contemplating that very thing to fit a 1080Ti I have lying around in my daughters Sharkoon CA-M case, give it a nice power bulge as the case is 2cm too short :D I should just buy a more appropriate case.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats more of an angle grinder job though :p

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Multi tool can do all :D

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Apologies for my obvious mistake (at stupid o'clock), fixed now so someone doesn't buy the wrong thing. :duh:

17. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

it’s a good combo, I used the ML08 and SX500-LG for my last build, I’ve still got them sitting around as they’d make a great base for a machine. I was tempted to use them again this time, but I’m also really happy to finally be using my M1. So they’ll probably stay here gathering dust until I finally get around to selling them on