1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Standing Desks - Experiences/Nitro D16E

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 14 May 2020.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

TL;DR - I'm contemplating a motorised standing desk either the Nitro or buying a frame and a table top, is it worth it? would you recommend a desk like it

Morning folks, As I continue to change my home office in the wake of COVID I've been looking at ways I could boost my productivity and consequentially my ability to work from home sustainably.

I've had a peripheral change to reduce clutter in wires and bulky keyboards, While allowing me to switch between Mac & PC and give me more room for notebooks, paper. I'm changing from a dual monitor setup to a single Ultrawide setup to avoid the need for multiple switches and cables and to simplify everything, and in time I'll be downsizing from my mid tower setup to an ITX setup.

I'm currently using this specific desk , Its cheap affordable and does the job but I have quite a few gripes with it

• With the integrated drawer I've only ever found 1 monitor mount that fits to avoid drilling through the desk
    • Its an awkward size at 120x60 it could do with being 25% bigger
    • The drawer/cavity means I need to remove the arms of my chair for it to sit comfortably underneath the desk when not in use.

I've been contemplating changing it for a while but I've never been able to justify the upheaval and cost and I've never been totally sure what I'd want from a new desk. I know I want a desk slightly bigger in length and width than what I currently have and I want it to remain a big open surface. Storage isn't a big deal nor necessary and I'd like it thin enough so I had more options for monitor arms.

I've used standing desks before at work and enjoy the ability to change it up and with a small child at home I find myself propping on higher surfaces to avoid his small hands but the majority of the time I'd expect to be sitting so a permanent standing desk isn't what I'd want.

The two options I'm contemplating exploring further is

A) Buying a motorised standing desk frame and table top separately, the frames are currently going for £240 on eBay and a table top will cost me anywhere upwards of £50 from Ikea to substantially more if I wanted something more luxurious

B) Buying the Nitro D16E its £350, the carbon top isn't quite to my taste but could be changed in the long term I've seen people covering the top of the desk with mats etc but the shape of the table top is certainly nicer than a standard rectangle.

Would be interested on peoples experiences with motorised standing desks and especially if you'd recommend using one!

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This is exactly what I've been thinking too. My only proble with the Nitros are they 'only' have a max weight of 70kg and they have no height memory, so you'll always be doing it by eye.

I saw this desk frame for £300 which seems to have all the features I've want, and I have an Ikea Thyge desk, so could probably use that top, although I have no idea if the mounts line up! So that would come to £335 which is really really cheap for a desk with memory!

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

One small consideration to add. If you have any signs of osteoarthritis in your knees, don't get a standing desk. There is nothing worse than long periods of standing, to make arthritic knees hurt.

DeadP1xels likes this.
  4. DeadP1xels

Ahhh yeah, I've been told one with memory buttons is essential else you'll potentially be doing more damage than good. That looks pretty good, I've been having a closer look at the Nitro, I think I could live with the carbon top I've seen a few additional pictures and it doesn't look so bad...

I do however envision a standing desk with a well made reclaimed wood top.... expensive I'd imagine.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

OH, its probably worth getting some kind of standing desk Anti-Fatigue Mat too, as that can help ease foot strain.

6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its about £150 more than most other offerings though is my biggest problem. Plus it means I always need my phone to adjust it well.

Edit: Also ikea won't deliver to my area, and I remember it being super expensive last time I looked, so both of those are negatives :(

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Was going to say bit of a jump up in price. I've liked the idea of a standing desk for a while, but never felt in a position to be able to justify the cost, maybe when my current desk dies (actually using a temporary folding table as it was a bit longer than my wooden top actual desk!)

9. DeadP1xels

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLEXISPOT-...3&sr=1-4-718396de-69ac-46a0-9195-9669ab0086b2

For those interested, looking on amazon at standing desk frames and they're slightly cheaper from a mirage of different brands. I haven't delved too deep into the specs. just weighing up potential costs

edit: or this one for £179.99 but white in colour. Not sure this would look good with a reclaimed wood top to it, potentially to clinical but maybe I'm being too fickle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLEXISPOT-...ds=standing+desk+frame&qid=1589544290&sr=8-30

Last edited: 15 May 2020
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That second one is unavailable. The first one has bad side to side wobble acording to the reviews. I think thats the biggest thing to be wary of in cheaper ones, they can be more wobbly! A big problem for me as I plan to have my PC on the desk.

11. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

FYI: I cannot recall where I saw the study but it was comparing health issue between workers who are inactive and divided them into seated versus standing. The results where both positioned caused equal health issues and neither one one was not better for a person's health over the other. The key is variety and moderation.

If you are having everything shipped to you buying a frame and a separate top might be the way to go. The fame will come from where ever its warehouse is and shipping I expect will be reasonably priced. Ship a desktop top, that is an over sized package and shipping is expensive. Nitro keeps shipping down by splitting the desk top into three pieces and providing a mat. The mat is a nice touch but I personally would avoid a sectional desk, I have one at work and home. I like having the big desk but the joins annoy me, dirty gets trapped, every now again something shifts the the two surfaces are not level.

Buy a separate frame shipping will probably be similar to the nitro desk. Then source the desktop locally. Local oversize shipping will be much cheaper especially if you know someone with a truck or van. If there are no local stores that sell desk tops what about hardware stores and plywood. If the plywood is too big and you don't have the tools to cut it down, the store might be willing to cut it to size for you.You can use MDF, but it will take more effort to seal and prepare the surface and you'll need a thicker board for strength and so that mounting hardware has something to bit into. With plywood top the biggest issue is the edging. If you want there are some very nice hardwood plywoods that will make a very nice looking desktop.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  12. DeadP1xels

Ahhh thats disappointing, I'd plan to either downsize or not have my PC on it so not sure if it will be as big an issue for me

The Flexispot one (first one) is currently front runner for me as on their website the frame is £219.99 or they have a slightly more premium model with memory buttons for £279.99 both available in black. I'll have to consider the wobble though....

That was the plan, you can get the tops shipped but they are expensive for what you get. I want to move away from the particle board desks swell

I have my heart set on some form of reclaimed wood top, the issues being how reclaimed it will look! I don't want it to be too knocked about but also not so refined it has absolutely no character. I may look at doing it myself and borrowing the tools but that's a big may....

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I also saw on one it stated the lifting weight was 70Kg but the rising weight was only 25Kg, so be mindful of that! That first one only has a single motor,so will probably stuffer with this!

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just came across this and with those supports it should have added stability!

15. DeadP1xels

Nice find!

Does look more robust, I’m not sure why some of the other frames don’t opt for that design

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Same, or a 'privacy barrier' style reinforcement. Cost I guess! I can't tell if that one is single or dual motor, so be a pal and get it to find out :p