1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi So, what are you playing now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 29 Apr 2014.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Thought I'd sling this in here rather than create a thread for a simple question. Finally got fed up with Division 2, haven't played either Red Dead yet so thought I'd give them a whirl. Do I need to play 1 before 2 especially?

2. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

As someone who's never played the first one, I'd say from what I've experienced so far in playing RDR2, I haven't felt any need to know anything beyond what I've seen/heard in the game itself.
    Make sure you're completely prepared for it being a very slow paced game, there's a lot of riding around between locations in the early game (you can unlock a fast travel later) and a lot of the side activities can take a fair bit of time as well... it's one of those games where it really helps if you enjoy being immersed in the world and the little stories that you'll stumble across.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It looks and sounds very similar in appeal to Witcher 3. Tacky question, but is it "better", in production quality terms?

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture. On PC.

It's incredible.

5. The_Crapman

Excellent. I like aimlessly rambling around in games, ignoring way markers in favour of "ooo what's that over there"

adidan likes this.
  6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Tried Rocket League, quite enjoyed it. Runs great on my potato.

7. suenstar

It's very much one of those games.
    After you get past the prologue and get to begin exploring, I found there were lots of times when I found a nice spot and decided that I'd wait there to take in the sunset... or whilst randomly riding around, you hear something like the sound of a person shouting off in the distance and decide to go investigate that.
    Then you discover you can fish... and that becomes the reason for your existence. :grin:

I'm probably not the best person to answer that comparison as I absolutely hated Witcher 3.

The_Crapman likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

Hello fishing my old friend
    [​IMG]

boiled_elephant likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

Oh my god I had to rub my eyes a few times in the caravan site in EGTTR because it looked so real.

Really enjoying this slow romp.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Annoyingly not DOOM Eternal until this anti-cheat kernel level driver is optional for single player.

Ghost Recon Wildlands, because a sandbox co-op pseudo-tacticool shooter is just what the doctor ordered.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Finally trawling through my backlog of PS4 games, currently on Mordor Shadow of War.

Most enjoyable, greatly in part as you gain more history about the Law.

And who doesn't like making Orcs heads explode?

12. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

same reason i have stopped playing it.

cod modern ware fare mp modes and warzones - only because alot of my old qwtf buddies have started playing it during the lock down but my body cant take playing games till 3am any more:/

13. Vault-Tec

Just finished Everybody's Gone To The Rapture. What a wonderful experience. Another playthrough is on the cards, now that I know what I am doing.

And they said Cry Engine was bad. That has to be one of, if not the, most beautiful looking "games" I have ever played. If the Crysis remake looks anything like that we're in for a treat.

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Played some Wreckfest. Senseless Destruction Derby fun. Kept me busy for a while.

15. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Played a bit of Nidhogg 2 at the weekend with my niece and nephew, it's a basic dueling platformer where you fight and the winner must run to the end of the map. Great fun and well worth a few quid if you catch it on sale on steam.

16. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

Over the weekend, my (now very old) gaming group played some COD4 and some UT3 (https://wetheplayers.com/games/unreal-tournament-iii-black-edition) for some oldschool japes. This week will be some L4D2 and the like.

I basically discovered that while I am not bad at the new COD, I am terrible at these older games. But they are a lot of fun and still hold up

17. suenstar

Mostly back to playing X4 Foundations at the moment with the Split Vendetta DLC, so far been spending most of my time getting mining ships setup to produce a steady income whilst I do the occasional plot mission for the Split storyline and build standing with a couple of factions.
    Almost got enough standing to get the administration structure so that I can start claiming some of the sectors that don't belong to any of the other factions, then I can begin carving out a place to call home.

18. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

The original Half Life 2

It’s quite fun to watch it chug away at 290 FPS at 1440p with the AA/AF maxed out.

Honestly sounds like a lot of fun! Is there a heavy up front learning curve?

19. suenstar

Decided to install the Fire & Smoke mod, now watching ships explode is my favourite activity...
    [​IMG]

It's one of my favourite games to chill out with.
    Plus once you've got a fleet working of minions, you can leave it running in the background whilst you do other things and gain passive income and reputation increases... or whilst you wait for your stations to get built.

If you've not played any of the X series before then there's a bit of a learning curve if you want to get deep into the economy and change the shape of the universe.

There are in-game tutorials that you can start and stop freely whilst playing, they're all repeatable and accessible through the map screen... almost everything can be done whilst in the map.

There's also tons of tutorial videos, I'd say the ones done by The Rugged Gamer are the better ones to watch as he's done his in the latest version with the DLC installed so you can see more up to date stuff.

Early game mostly revolves around doing a lot of missions for small money and gaining reputation with the various factions, it's impossible to not know where to go with missions as you get a gold arrow pointing you to where you need to go and what you need to interact with.
    The only missions that really I'd say have a bit of complexity are hacking station modules (as you need the correct hacking item), boarding ships and possibly scanning ships for resources as the game will only tell you which sector to do the scans in and sometimes you're asked to scan for a resource that it's not too obvious which ship will be carrying it - trying to find a ship carrying a "Fine Meal" is a total nuisance.
    Most of the common missions you'll see are things like:
    • Destroy mines
    • Pick someone up and transport them to a station/ship
    • Find a resource in a specific sector
    • Deploy a satellite or some laser towers at a jump gate
    • Scan a station
    • Destroy criminal traffic at a station
    • Deliver goods to the station
    • Find a lockbox and return the contents
    • Destroy 6-14 ships of a certain faction & type
    • Find a ship
    • Build a station for a faction
    Once you own a few ships, you can allocate your minions to do some of the tasks for you (stuff like deliveries and deploying objects).
    Or if you get a few mining ships, you can set them to auto-mine in a sector and they'll produce a steady income... you can also setup transport ships to auto-trade but they'll constantly get chased by criminals whereas mining ships get ignored the majority of the time.

Here's a screenshot of the typical things you can set your ships to do automatically: https://i.imgur.com/iMAdOkl.png

To give an idea on passive income from mining, in my current game a medium mining ship costs about 450-500k, and earns on average 50-70k per 2-5 minutes.
    The economy will vary with each game you start as it does a bit of randomising on what stations each faction starts out with and how they're placed within their sectors.

After you gain a reputation of 10+ with any faction, they invite you to receive a rank (appears in your mission log) where you gain access to purchase better ships and equipment and get offered bigger linked missions for their faction.
    You'll also unlock a good chunk of the factions blueprints for station modules at 10 rep as well, then the rest of it unlocks at 20 rep... this is also the point where the faction will sell you capital ships.

You can ally every faction in the game apart from Xenon and Kha'ak.
    Almost everyone starts of neutral to you other than the Xenon and Kha'ak, so basically you can often go with the logic of shoot anything that's red and protect anything that's blue or green (green is owned by you, blue is friendly/neutral, red is hostile).

20. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Thanks for the in-depth and high quality reply! It sounds just like a game I used to play a long time ago called Galaxy On Fire. I’m honestly excited, think I’m going to give it a go

I’ve not gamed properly for years. I was always into the competitive multiplayer ones but something a bit more chill like this sounds a lot more up my street given the whole getting married having two kids thing.