1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress 1st ... KONTAKT by SpikeV

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SpikeV, 13 Feb 2020.

1. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

Cheers mate !

TerHorstCustoms likes this.
  2. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

What can be more fascinating than preppin' radiators :hehe:

... so just a note on methodology :baby:

- 3 rinses with demineralized water - shake,shake,shake
    - 3 rinses with HOT :eeek: demineralized water- shake,shake,shake
    - 3 rinses with demineralized water - shake,shake,shake
    - leave wet

*** actual interesting observation - since the frame (side rails) is solidly attached to the caps, the frame itself is dissipating quite a lot of heat ... absolutely experienced during the HOT shake sequence :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumb:

3. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

:naughty: . . . a little teaser on some upcoming concepts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:clap:

Dot_Kappa and Toru like this.
  4. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

The focus in the recent days has been on the wiring diagram ... followed by attempting to source very targeted Hubs and LEDs.

And after more than a week of trying to bring this step to a close ... no success as yet :nono:. The vision is there, for sure, but sourcing is now beginning to become a challenge - so will leave it for the moment and get back to a little general planning.

First order of business is to remove the front starboard side panel . . . will need to do a bit of surgery on that ... and with it out of the way, we can begin to get a sense of how things will be managed internally. I've got some ideas on hiding a good portion of the cabling, which is always a challenge in this cougar case, so I need to take a good look at how the major pieces will be oriented in order to start to think about - solutions.

[​IMG]

Now, for the first time, physically introducing the Rads to see what kind of space they will demand.

And, place in the distro panel mockups to get an idea of clearances and any other potential surprises :idea:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm excited to move into the next phase of the project . . . I will be doing some work out of the FabLab here in Vejle, Denmark . . . and start working with the laser cutter, the CNC, perhaps some vinyl cutting, and a bit of 3D printing - should be FUN!!! :thumb:

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Watch out. If the fab labs are anything like the local hardware stores, they will be packed with people with extra free time.

6. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

... spot on !

the good news is I know the director and he appreciates - getin' er dun !!!

7. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

Now for some real mental exercise - Dead-reckoning in 3D :idea:

Nailing the port placements for the 2 one-off distro panels and the 2 side reservoirs is turning out to be a great three dimensional challenge ...
    - consider final pump placements and fitting configs
    - consider radiator(s) orientation - and gravitational orientation toward pump location(s)
    - consider both logic and aesthetics of tube routing
    - consider clearances and fitment
    - consider flow direction requirements
    - consider associated cabling requirements & routing (power & lighting)
    - consider attachment and fastener requirements
    - prioritize a "clean" approach

. . . so, off we go

Design mounting 'sleds' for the pumps to allow micro adjustments for placement

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... next

8. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

Starboard side distribution panel ...

orientation ... routing ... 3D clearance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rock:

Cheapskate likes this.
  9. djlegend

djlegend What's a Dremel?

I follow with great interest.

10. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

. . . and then, the Port side

this guy is critical - it will require a couple of accurate holes drilled into the aluminum motherboard panel . . . and, the aesthetics of the CPU loop will be determined by nailing these dimensions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... :rollingeyes: :worried: :eeek:

11. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

Hey JH ... many years ago - this was my 'Day job' ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. . . ahhhh yes! . . . them were the days . . .

[​IMG]

... but, I digress :baby: :baby: :baby:

12. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

enter ... the LEGEND !!!

welcome :rock:

13. djlegend

djlegend What's a Dremel?

Thank you bro.

14. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

So, now a quick check on what the wiring configuration might look like . . .

sometime last year I took the decision ($$) to go - Corsair LL fans . . . and of course, that meant that I was then 'married' to the Corsair proprietary connectors and controlling software :sigh: . . . (so that will make the overall strategy just a bit more interesting)

and, MAJOR rainbow effect is fine enough ... it's just not me :eyebrow:

another consideration is - I do not want three different lighting software packages all running at the same time to achieve the desired result - so hopefully that can be avoided

... in that effort, I'm looking to create a somewhat static base cabin light environment - that will be with a combination of UV and Blue constant illumination (but based on some RGB strips - in case, Blue eventually gets Old) - then allowing some of the components to be highlighted

The moving parts:
    right now looking at coordinating lighting on the following
    - 5 Corsair LL120 fans (ARGB)
    - Taichi motherboard (ARGB)
    - CPU block (RGB)
    - GPU block (DRGB)
    - 2 pumps (UV x 4ea)
    - 2 Blue (RGB) LED strips
    - 2 UV LED strips
    - 2 Reservoirs (ARGB)
    - 2 Distro panels (ARGB)
    and powering
    - 2 DDC pumps (Molex)
    - 2 LED Hubs (Corsair) (SATA)
    - Lighting Pro (Corsair) (SATA)
    - 5 fans (PWM)
    - PCIe lighting controller (Lamptron CFM36) (Molex)

... in addition to all the normal PC stuff !!! :wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so, lighting concept complete . . . and product - in the mail :cooldude: :grin:

[we will revisit with a deeper dive once everything is in-house]

Cheapskate likes this.
  15. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

... here's a fun teaser on - things to come . . .

"Open the POD doors HAL"

16. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

Turning attention on Powering-up

I was excited to be able to acquire the Seasonic Snow Silent 750W. I had always loved that PSU as one of the best looking units made . . . and with it comes a great reputation ... and, now, along with the EK Nickel Backplate, a bit of a Chrome theme is starting to come together. It took some tracking down since this model had just gone EOL.

So great power and great looks :grin: . . . hummm, but something seems missing :eyebrow: . . . :idea:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:clap:

17. kim

kim hardware addict

this is something you're incredibly mastering :jawdrop:

18. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

Many thanks, kim, i appreciated the good words :grin:

19. SpikeV

SpikeV Minimodder

Before we completely leave the PSU topic for the moment ... let's pull together a high-end power cord - HiFi style - for the project (and in UV Red, of course ! :hehe:)

I had some decent quality 220 EU electrical cable laying around from an exterior lighting project I had done a while back (a bit overkill :rollingeyes:) - so I ordered-up some high end connectors and some HD sleeving in order to make up an efficient power delivery method from the wall to that awesome SnowSilent PSU.

The connectors are the - Japan Oyaide P-079E + C-079 24k Gold-Plated Pure connector IEC power Copper Poles EU Power Plug set, specifically made for high-end HIFI systems.
    Specs: Rated Voltage: 220V. Grounding: Standard Grounding. Rated Current: 15A. Type: Plug with Socket. Application: hifi power plugs. Conductor Model: 99.99% OFC Pure Copper Poles with 24k Gold-Plated. Accommodates cable: 10mm - 21mm. Power Plug: 50mm body length x 35mm diameter x 69mm overall length.

And to finish it off in style - 2 m of PrimoChill Kobra High Density Cable Sleeving – UV Red

BTW - these items were acquired from Highflow.nl which is one of my favorite sources here in the EU ... always interesting selections and easy to get product into Denmark :clap:

[​IMG]

Once the sleeving was in place and the 2 meters marked ... time to Tin-off the wires

[​IMG]

I discovered a few issues with the connectors (as received) ... not a big deal, but just a bit annoying
    - first, there was a lot of rattling in each of the two connectors which turned out to be loose set screws - the wiring bars all had two set screws each for attaching each wire ... the rear most screws are accessible through access 'ports' molded into the connector, and all were visible and in place - but a few of the inner-most (forward) screws were dislodged and captured inside the housing. maybe this was done on purpose in order that you had to remove each wiring bar completely and discover the second set of set screws (???)

[​IMG]

- the second issue I discovered was that on the PSU end connector - the lower plates needed to hold the wire were all rotated 90 degrees, and since they are 'bowed' (convex) they would not have held tightly, if, at all . . . this was fairly obvious, but was born-out once I removed each in order, once again, to get to the inner set screw [BTW - no info was supplied with the connectors]

Notice the shape of the lower bars through the ports in the mid-plate ... and the difference between the next two photos (the second borrowed from on-line)

[​IMG]

should be like this . . .

[​IMG]

So it was a fun experience completely pulling these things apart - setting both screws for each wire - then needing that third hand in order to shove all three bars back into place at the same time while securing the mid-plate :naughty::hehe::lol:

... but the best news was - I didn't forget to put the rear of the housing on the cable BEFORE bolting everything in Place (an not finding it on the bench later) - AND - both were on the cable in the RIGHT direction - hurray !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... :rock:

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Shipping does amazing things to a slightly loose screw.