1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ Tweaked ERA ITX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TerHorstCustoms, 20 May 2020.

1. TerHorstCustoms

TerHorstCustoms Minimodder

Hi Guys,

I would like to introduce all of you to my new system. A system in a Fractal Design ERA ITX case with some Tweaks :) This build will be used until the Tweaked Meshify S2 is done. This has some delays unfortunately because of what is going on at the momemt but also gave a great change to challange my self with my first mini ITX build :)

The build is running the following parts:
    AMD Ryzen 3600
    Asus ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING
    16GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D
    MSI GTX1660 Super Gaming X
    Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB
    Corsair Hydro H100i PRO RGB
    Fractal Design ERA ITX Carbon (With walnut top)
    Fractal Design Ion SFX-L 500W
    Fractal Design Prisma AL-12 PWM (2x)
    Fractal Design Prisma AL-14 PWM (2x)
    Fractal Design Flex VRC-25

I would like to a huge shout out to Fractal Design for there ongoing support! Even during these strange times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to see what all exacly would be be possible inside the case. I had a rough plan what I would like to do with the build but this was before I got my hands on the case it self. I was qutie amazed that the SFX-L form factor PSU fitted realy nice and snug above the motherboard in its normal lay-out.

[​IMG]

But soon after that saw that it was realy easy to invert the motherboard in case with the stock motherboard tray and still have space for SFX-L PSU next to it.
    [​IMG]

This gave the idea to go vertical with the GPU as well in the case.
    [​IMG]

This ended up giving the following result :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The XFX HD7850 was the pefect mock-up GPU while figuring out where exactly I wanted to mount the gpu.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to change / improve the airlow in the case a bit. While removing the bottom panel of the case to do the inverted motherboard mod i found out the mesh top panel would fit perfectly in the blocked of area of the bottom panel.
    [​IMG]

This was quite easy to do because in the molding of the bottom panel (Its made form plastic) there are perfect marking to follow when you are cutting it out. I used my acrylic scoring knife to follow these lines on the straight parts and drill in the corners to get the radius right. After the main cutting it only needed some small tweaks / cleanups with a file to make it fit perfectly. Then I used to epoxy to glue to mesh panel to bottom panel edge. This has given the following result :)
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to add some small casefeet (made from some M6 nuts and bolts).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When the bottom of the case was done (mostly) I went on to improve the top exhaust a bit.
    First I modified some 140mm fans to fit and have 120mm mounting holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because of the look that I was going for I needed to use the walnut top of the titaninum version. These normally block almost all airflow out of the op case unfortunately but needed to change ;) The stock top dust filter has some realy strong magnets build in. I used 4
    plastic spacer with a fan screw inside to space out the top panel +/- 8mm higher then default.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The mesh has been removed later on during testing because this blocked quite some airflow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was time to final mod on the case. Remove some of the bottom frame to allow 240mm AIO + fans to be mounted in the bottom of the case. The dremel made a quick job of this :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After quite some hours of cable management during final assembly I would like to share the end result with you all :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm happy to report the following thermals after doing stress testing as well: The 3600 hits 62c under full load (Aida64 Extreme benchmark) with all fans set to +/-600rpm (4,1Ghz all core @1,2 vcore) and the GTX1660 Super Gaming X - 67c under full load (Furmark) while the CPU stress test is also running. The room was a the start around 15c and after a hour +-/20 c.

For now the system will be run like this until the Tweaked Meshify S2 is done. After that it might be time for a custom loop in it with dual 240mm rad with the use of a extra bottom panel on the top (with mesh of course ;) ). Then some custom cable lengths might be needed to allow for space to get a pump en res in there somewhere without going fully custom on that.
    [​IMG]

Arboreal likes this.
  2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looks how they should have launched the case to begin with. Excellent work. :thumb::dremel:

TerHorstCustoms likes this.
  3. TerHorstCustoms

Thank you :) I was quite amazed how much room there was after I did the inverted motherboard and vertical gpu.

MLyons likes this.
  4. MADPC

MADPC Minimodder

I like it , well done!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

5. TerHorstCustoms

Thank you :grin:

6. kim

kim hardware addict

quick clean and beautiful :thumb:, ... I envy your collection :grin:...I understand it couldn't contest with the GTX 1660, but I prefer the look of that HD7850, I am found of XFX GPUs :naughty:

7. TerHorstCustoms

Thank you for the kind words :) The 7850 fits perfectly in there but as you sad it coudn't realy compete with the 1660 Super. I might have something that you like even more then the 7850. The big brother of it, a XFX HD 7990 Triple Dissipation :)

8. kim

kim hardware addict

if you mean this one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mmmm:grin:, yes, I love it, I always liked the way they're designing their cards, this 7990 was one of my dreams :winking:, and actually it is still possible to get one second hand for 800 euros... at least:duh:

9. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Clean!! Bravo :clap:

10. TerHorstCustoms

Yes I have that card with the orignal box and accessories. I got this 7990 for a 100 euro's which was a steal :eek:

Thank you Sir!

11. kim

kim hardware addict

:wallbash: you're kidding me...seriously:oldconfused: , a steal yes, lucky you are :grin: