1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watercooling issue with asus 2070 super and corsair hydro x

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by toony, 20 May 2020.

1. toony

toony What's a Dremel?

hi all

I build a new computer but got strange issue I cant fix, I have asus 2070 super TURBO-RTX2070S-8G-EVO model number, it been working fine for 3 days on air cooling to make sure the card worked. today I took off the air cooler and put on corsair hydro xg7 rgb and backplate connected it up to my commander pro, rgb works but computer would not post, I got white vga light on my motherboard,

So I took off the water cooling again, put back on the air cooler it worked as normal, I done this twice which is a pain in the neck, if will not post or boot up with the waterblock on ? am I missing something obvious here or is the waterblock causing some sort of issue like shorting the gpu from booting, ?

all drivers and bios is fully up to date, I have asus 570f gaming MB and corsair 850w PSU

any help would be grateful

thanks

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

A possible issue is fitting the wrong thickness thermal pads which could cause the relevant parts of the block not to make contact.

What does the contact patch look like on the GPU chip?

Also double check the placement of the thermal pads. Sometimes it can be easy to miss one or more of them.

Edit: Also double check the backplate especially if it also requires thermal pads. Normally not fitting the plastic washers shouldn't make much of a difference except when thermal pads are fitted.

What's the exact model number of the block and backplate?

Last edited: 20 May 2020
  3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

unplug the air cooler fan and see if the card will post.

If it does the strip down and do a close inspection of both to make sure dimensions are the same and there isn't additional metal causing short to the GPU components or even the motherboard.

Also try without back plate as it could also be source of short.

If the thermal pads didn't connect cards will generally still work for a bit before a crash due to temps, should have plenty of time to get a post screen even sans cooler.

Last edited: 20 May 2020
  4. Smoked Brisket

Smoked Brisket What's a Dremel?

Agree with big elf. Check the manual for the gpu waterblock. The included pads usually have a couple of different thicknesses and must be placed correctly.

5. toony

toony What's a Dremel?

hi all the thermals pads come pre fitted on this waterblock and when I took the waterblock off you can see the indents off the chips in them, there was no other pads with the block,. ill have closer look at the block with fan cooler again to see how close a match they are, sure it waterblock gfx issue as posting with block on all rbg ram lights up and the lights on motherboard to say its booted come on and go off :)

thanks for replies

6. toony

toony What's a Dremel?

the exact model of block is corsair cx-9020009-ww xg7 rgb. backplate comes with the block. Corsair says it compatible with the gfx card I have emailed them also..

7. Big Elf

Just a thought but did you remove the protective cover (if fitted) from the thermal pads?

That looks very similar to the Alphacool designs of a few years ago.

8. toony

toony What's a Dremel?

there are no protective covers on thermal pads that I know off , or the manual tells me to remove, there light blue in colour don't seem to be anything you peel off,

I try to install block with backplate first see what happen :)

9. toony

toony What's a Dremel?

hi,

I try this morning again but same thing happen, so I installed the waterblock without the backplate, all the screw line up to the grounding points on the back of the card, I the pads on the block are where there suppose to be and is making contact with the chips on the card, got white vga light wound not post

if I disconnect the default fan and try post the card and it fails, does the mean the card needs a connector present to post ?

thanks

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes, that is what I thought might be the issue, there is protection in the BIOS to not power up if fan fails.

11. toony

toony What's a Dremel?

can you disable it in bios or anyway around it?

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If you are certain it is that, as in, you have the air cooler attached and connected and everything is fine but with air cooler attached and fan unplugged it does not boot then I guess there aren't many options.

Does the motherboard monitor GPU in UEFI BIOS? is there an option to ignore fan speed issues?

beyond that perhaps you have to flash a BIOS that does work, which you may want to do to up power limits to OC.

Or even simpler connect card to a fan?

13. Big Elf

Is this a modern thing? My newest cards are EVGA 980 Ti's and none of the cards I've watercooled over 12 years have had this problem.

EVGA Precision will work with non-EVGA cards but the only setting I can see relating to the fan is Enable Automatic Fan Control.

Although it's been a while since I last tweaked a BIOS I used nVidia Inspector but that was on 580GTXs.

14. toony

toony What's a Dremel?

I never had this problem watercooling before either, and its strange that works on air cooler but not waterblock which has basically nothing on it, except 2 cables coming out the side for the rbg to commander pro and they work and light up just doest post, am going need to look in the uefi bios for this board and see if there gpu setting for fans, the BIOS is up to date 1407 as per asus website for the motherboard,

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My Gigabyte 1080 FE is fine with a waterblock and no fan :/

Toony, did you say you tried the water block on with the fan attached? If this works and there's no BIOs option you can just use a resistor in place of the fan...