1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Which Crosshair?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 23 May 2020.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a system upgrade as this one is getting increasingly screwy! So I've decided on an AMD system and ignore the things I dislike about the x570 platform. I'm planning on dropping in a Ryzen 3600 now and then probably a 4000 chip when they come out. I'll recycle my current RAM, I know it'll hinder performance a bit but it'll be fine for now, that can be the next upgrade!

So I want to go for the Crosshair VIII, as they're gorgeous boards! But is the any reason to go for the Formula over the Hero? Faster networking, a bit of a nicer asthetic and cooler VRM's on the Formula for £100 more? Worth it? Also, does anyone know why AWD-IT is £100 cheaper than anywhere else for this board???

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

AWD-IT have apparently closed their website to catch up on orders. I wouldn't order there, it's likely that was stock from before Covid and you will just waste your time.

As to whether the £100 is worth it? I would say most definitely not. I don't know what 4000 series CPU you intend on getting but I can't see any of those pulling more power than the 3950x does (given it's a shrink) so the VRM shouldn't be an issue any way.

3. Vault-Tec

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well now I just have to wait for WatercoolingUK to email me back about the adapter plate for my water block, as paying £10 shipping for a £14 item is a bit sickening!

5. Vault-Tec

WCUK drop ship certain items. So they will come from Germany, hence the expensive shipping because they use UPS.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The £10 is from Aquatuning/alphacooling...

7. Vault-Tec

Oh I see. I am not even sure if they are in the UK, but at the bottom your shipping options are DHL or UPS. So so RM.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Also, I want to do a fresh windows install, but I don't have a key forthis windows 10 as it came with the board, what'll be the best way to move it over?

9. Vault-Tec

There should be a tool to extract the serial from the BIOS. Well, not extract it per se, but see it. Then you can use it on the new board providing it's not a business "wipe once only" license. It's no biggy, serials can be had legit for about a tenner.

10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Vault-Tec and Bloody_Pete like this.
  11. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Just got a copy of Windows 10 Pro which activated fine from Ebay for 0.99p
    Used Rufus to create the bootable Windows USB

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

SuperHans123 likes this.