1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Tempting

BentAnat, LennyRhys and Guest-44638 like this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

My sorting system is dependent on who many bits I have of the same colour and or type of part. For example, I only have a few of the 15 length beams, so all colours go together. 1x2 plates? SO MANY in all colours, so they get separated. Dark Red parts - not many of them, so they all go together.

One thing you really start to pick up on is the different versions of the same part. Take, for example, the humble 'Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with 1 Stud'. This has three variations:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Even the plates, if you look underneath them, have different mouldings. For someone as OCD as myself about Lego building, it's a minefield :hehe:.

Quick update:
    • The 8880 is ready for reassembly. All the new bushes have arrived.
    • The AT-ST part list is getting closer to completion. I needed two of the infamous '6942 Dish 5 x 5 Scala Light Bluish Grey', but sourcing them new is VERY expensive: ~£20 new each, and typically from stores with high (i.e. >£90) minimum buy. In the end, I've gone on to Brickowl for the first time ever and bought two 'like new' for £5 each.

modd1uk and MadGinga like this.
  3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

True, he did say this has the potential to change, but with that much lego it seems mental to me to not also sort by the number of pips long and wide.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Here comes the 8800:

[​IMG]

5. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Coulda sworn I used to have the 8880... musta been the last I planned to get when I first got neck deep in Lego© Technic™...

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I created my first e-bay account to try and get an 8880. Tried three times, outbid each time.

LennyRhys and Pete J like this.
  7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Slow progress on the 8800 today:

[​IMG]

I had to backtrack a little when I realised that the steering column universal joint would rub on a drive gear - good to correct it after 24 years!

LennyRhys and Byron C like this.
  8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

As much as I like where Lego Technic has gone with the completely revised style of building (studless) and the larger, more complicated models, I think there was something special about these models that came out in the mid 90s. The 8880 was something that my brother and I wanted to own as teenagers but never did, and every time I see it I feel like a kid again. I finally got the model in 2004 for the princely sum of £36, an ebay bargain!

I notice that your steering/hub parts are grey - the early releases of the model had these parts in white, which is what my one had.

[​IMG]

Pete J likes this.
  9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You did very well to get it for that price!
    I've been racking my brains over this! I do remember that the set came with an updated instruction page showing the grey hub part. I'm trying to remember if the set also came with the white versions or not. I actually found this article on the 8880, which is quite interesting to read: 8880 Brickset article.

It's interesting to note other colour differences as well. The clutch wheels and steering linkages on mine are black, whereas in the official parts list, they're dark bluish grey (or dark bley, as AFOLs are wont to call it).

I got to see the life sized version at Legoland Windsor IIRC, many moons ago.

LennyRhys likes this.
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[​IMG]

I wanted to have this done today, but a long phone call to my friend, and the fact that I'm a far more fastidious builder compared to my much younger self limited progress!

Never mind - bank holiday tomorrow!

LennyRhys likes this.
  11. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Did Lego release a left and right hand drive version or are you modifying the build?

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah I paid more for 8865, which is an inferior set in many ways. I've had some amazing Technic bargains over the years, especially around the time I got this set.

In the OG set all the steering linkages and clutch Z16 gears were Old Dark Grey. As per the article, the set I had came with black ball-and-socket pins for the steering linkages. Here are a couple of crops from the picture I took before I sold the set in 2010. I can't believe how expensive it is now compared to when I bought it.

[​IMG]

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I always modify my builds to be right hand drive, unless it can't be done because there are non-symmetrical parts (e.g. 42082). Obviously it's easy to do if it's a non functional steering wheel (e.g. 42009), otherwise I take a good look at the instructions to figure out what to do. For example, the 911 only requires a 'flip' of the steering and gear flaps, whereas the Chiron has to be entirely mirrored. The Landy (42110) is a funny one, as by mirroring the instructions, you fix its wrong gear ratio!
    I still think the 8865 is an important set: I would compare the 8865 to the 8880 as I would the film Alien and Aliens in that IMHO Aliens is the more entertaining (and possibly better) film, but it wouldn't have existed without the first film! I do intend to buy the parts and build it one day - it was a little before my childhood Lego days (the first time I saw one was when I was 7).

In regards to price, I keep meaning to buy two of every set, so I can sell one later on for PROFITSSS. I actually bought a second Chiron for £200 towards the end of last year, but ended up giving it to a close friend as a Christmas present.

LennyRhys likes this.
  14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Pah, you young whippersnappers! I had 8860 and it was AWESOME.

Pete J and LennyRhys like this.
  15. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Haha I had 8860 as well (inherited it from a cousin), although 8865 was the flagship when I was a young lad, always on the last page of the Technic leaflets. I agree with Pete that it was an important set, introducing a very cool wishbone suspension steering system and setting a new standard in model size. I didn't actually like the look of 8880 when I first saw it, but it grew on me.

Pete J likes this.
  16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Blimey, that's going back some! I love the engines on the 8860 and 8865; something very satisfying about their blocky nature. However, I do think that the direction Lego took for Technic was necessary to allow more complexity. Ultimately, it's still just as satisfying to build the latest models.

I'm going to spend the morning finishing off the 8880, before popping out to do some half-arsed gardening. In the meantime, more information on the upcoming Lambo 42115:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A part count of ~3700 parts implies full functionality (i.e. full gearbox, suspension etc). However, there still seems to be lack of a HOG steering wheel, which I wish Lego would make a policy of adding in (as well as roll bars). I might wait for the MOC designer who did the 911 and Chiron upgrades to work his magic before I build it as he'll no doubt add it.

17. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Used to own 8860 & 8865... both got sold for me after I moved out & left 'em behind.

EDIT:
    Dunno why, but I'd prefer these car kits if they were double scale... and lived somewhere bigger to have them on perma-display.

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Slow progress today for various reasons:

[​IMG]

19. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 26 May 2020
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

It's actually my long term aim to build another one of his creations:

However, it's 80cm long, so I would need to think about where to put it! We'll see where I am in 2 years' time.

Also, a speed build/mini review of the upcoming Ducati: