1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yes, remain silent so the insecure flakes will feel left out and report you for taking a irrational dislike to them. :lol:

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

And flid, cripple etc.

We're such a lovely bunch.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I honestly think people have mainly become more and more easily offended over time. When I was young I had a good friend who was born with Down syndrome, we grew up together. He was quite a bit older, but as often is the case lagged behind in development, so to all intents and purposes we were close enough to be called equal in our mental age. His parents, my parents and a few others explained to him why he should not accept being called "mongo" by other kids. He was so confused because the way he saw it: "but that's nothing bad! it's like me calling them small or fat, not an insult at all!"... and that's what I see very often, especially on the good ol' intarwebz in these times: people being offended by things they really shouldn't care about. And most likely wouldn't if they had real issues in their lives. And then you have the cream of the crop: people who get offended FOR SOMEBODY ELSE. Those should be shot, IMHO.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

My day started badly when I went drone flying at 6am.

Lovely morning, beautiful beach, great to be out and flying.

All good until the F* decided to descend more than is possible and clip the water...

I put the stick forward to climb, and it went about 60cm and then wouldn't come back to me, and seconds later unceremoniously landed on the water, never to be seen again :waah:

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

You can't even say stuff to yourself. I called myself a bloody idiot after raising a massive PO on the wrong entity (one of those where you realise the mistake as you're pressing enter, but too late to stop yourself pressing enter), someone overheard and reported it to my manager, saying that it must have been my colleague, who wasn't there at the time. My manager was actually impressed my language was so tame and I was able to prove what it was about from the time stamp on the cancelled PO and that there was nothing recorded that day on the "spreadsheet of stupid errors" that we had running for the person in question. Although it goes a long way to show how peoole rated her if they heard someone say idiot and assume it must be about them. :hehe:

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I, too, grew up with these terms thrown around as insults with reckless abandon - by me too (as offensive as it is, there's just something about the way 'spacker' rolls off the tongue that I liked).

I dunno if people have become more easily offended or if people are generally accepting that using a medical condition that someone who has, has no control over, isn't cool.

Although there's no medical term associated with 'dumb mother ****er' yet, so i guess that one's safe?

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My mind was changed by a teacher that genuinely did have a learning disability and the head of the engineering department having a son with some kind of medical condition. You'd never know it speaking to him. One of the smartest engineers I knew (R.I.P) and taught me a lot of what I know. He heard someone say it in a class and that's when it came out. Asked us how we thought it made him felt using is condition as an insult against people. Since then I've used the word clown instead and the whole class has to my knowledge.

8. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I wrecked my bike while on a 40mile ride and broke at least one rib. I was able to ride the remaining 8 miles home, but I was firmly out of commission for the weekend. I still can't lay down to sleep, but I'm finally not in pain all day.

The bad thing about my ribs not hurting as much is that I can finally feel how much trauma the rest of my body took. I have a 12" bruise on my upper thigh. My back and neck hurt as well.

But overall, I just love cycling and am doing alright. I can't wait to get back on my bike.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm a firm fence-percher.

I'm all for everyone being nicer to everyone and thinking about how what they say makes others feel.
    I'm also all for everyone taking responsibility for their own feelings at least. And at most, i.e. not taking responsibility for others' feelings.
    I also see that sometimes others may be marginalised and third parties taking responsibility for their feelings is important too.

On the other hand, it would also be nice to be able to use words correctly, without others latching on to alternative slang/offensive meanings. I don't use the term "retard" as a slang personally, but even if I used it regularly and gratuitously, I would know better than to use it in a professional environment. I used the term "retarded" as it was the only correct term I could think of to refer to the situation... it was a better fit than "delayed" or "slowed" and it was just the correct one that came to mind, and what I was trying to convey had nothing to do with anyone's cognitive abilities. No harm done in this case, but people have been sacked and careers ruined over things like this.

Just think of how that makes clowns feel.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

There's only been a handful of Clown-based killers, so with all their joviality I guess they're fine. All I can think of off the top of my head is Gacy, although he did a lot of crime.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I tend to see it on the other side, being that people just care a little more now, and aren't quite so ignorant (always exceptions to the rule though!)

bawjaws likes this.
  12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

i had a feeling this was going to pop up. The difference between the two is one can be changed the other can't.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I often wonder what my building mates think when I holler out "You f*****g c**taloid !" at myself. Aye, when I'm annoyed at myself I think up the best insults lol.

14. perplekks45

If it was up to me, nobody would attack any other person. Not on a personal level, that is. But I feel people get upset easier than they used to. Always talking "on average", obviously.

And the internet didn't help with this development, I feel. It provides a platform for people to rage/vent, on both sides of the spectrum. Those who insult too easily and readily and those who get insulted to easily and readily. All while reaching a far greater audience than ever before. And since we (humans) tend to strive for recognition and appreciation from others, some people (I'm sure it's a small but very loud/vocal minority) is trying extra hard.

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I do that and should be used to it by now but... Whatever...

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Watch Psychoville, you might change your mind...:worried:

liratheal likes this.
  17. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

I see the use of some derogatory terms - even some not so derogatory, too - as lacking in intelligence; many latch on to terms and use them in situations they feel are similar but aren't 100% the same.

What's made matters worse - I would say in the last 20+years - is the rise in the spread of the online world.

Disadvantage should never be used as any frame of reference; esp. by those who've never had any first hand experience of any term they use.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  18. perplekks45

I wholeheartedly agree with all of what you said. What you describe in the first paragraph is IMHO based on something that's ruining my life, not just today. The level of stupidity and ignorance in today's society is staggering. And to know it'll be even worse tomorrow and the day after and the day after... in equal parts shocking, disgusting and saddening.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I swear a lot, and I mean a lot. I will insult people and often do it to their face; it's not unknown for me to ask someone 'Mate, what the **** were you smoking when you wrote this shite?!' when we're talking through some particularly complex, unwieldy, and inefficient code that they've written. Most of the time it's situationally-appropriate - I know my audience and I avoid personal insults - but occasionally it most definitely isn't situationally-appropriate. Sometimes the latter is not intentional, and sometimes it's an entirely measured and deliberate use of offensive language in a situation where it would not normally be appropriate. Swearing and cursing can be used to great effect. You don't need to turn the air blue every time you open your mouth, and you need to walk a fine line between personal insults and non-specific offensive language, but in general I wholeheartedly encourage people to swear. The context in which you use language is what makes it offensive, I can be just as offensive without needing to resort to crude swearwords or insults.

But what do you mean by 'intelligence'? Emotional intelligence? Problem solving ability? Academic performance? 'Intelligence' is a pretty tricky thing to define.

Making broad generalisations like 'using some derogatory terms is evidence of poor intelligence' can be just as much of an insult as calling someone a mong. Many people just don't realise the origins of some of the offensive terms they use, they just see it as a vaguely offensive word without understanding why it can be offensive. Like many in this thread I grew up with insults like 'retard', 'spacker', 'mong', and a whole string of homophobic slurs and they were just seen as vaguely offensive insults. It wasn't until very much later in my life that I started unravelling their origins and started understanding the impact they might have. Equally, sometimes people might understand derogatory insults perfectly well and use them anyway. In either case it says nothing about 'intelligence'.

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I don't care what someone calls you (or me). If it's an insult, your reaction should be 'F**k you, I don't care what you think, you ignorant c**t', rather than 'My precious feeling have been hurt'. Though, to be honest, I'm either insulting someone because a) they're my friend and we like winding each other up or b) they're being a complete d!ck. Though, it's all situational, and I'm certainly NOT going to insult someone who's a decent person or at an obvious disadvantage.

I realise that the above might make me sound a bit of an inconsiderate/rude git. I just think that developing a thick skin helps massively.