1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Raspberry Pi 4 8GB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 May 2020.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup, 4GB is no longer the limit: 8GB is here. (If you've got £73.50 burning a hole in your pocket...)

Sadly, there's unlikely to be a 16GB: while technically the BCM2711 can address 16GB, it uses some of the space for addressing other stuff, there's no 16GB module on the market, and there's no way to cram two 8GB modules on the board.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

16Gb would be OTT for a CPU like that TBH. We use them a lot for work, and in some fairly high performance tasks, and we've never though we needed more RAM TBH.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Disagree: if your workload is RAM-blocked, then the more RAM the better. You could have a Z80 in there, and if you need random access to 16GB of data then the only way you're not going to get hobbled by hitting backing store is if you can put that entire 16GB of data in RAM.

(It's a topic I cover in the magazine article - minus the Z80, of course!)

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Professionally, if I was doing that kind of work, I wouldn't be doing it on a Pi though :)

5. Gareth Halfacree

But would you be doing it on a Z80? And if so, CAN I COME WATCH?! PLEASE?!?!?

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I leanrt my Embedded stuff on PICs, so it would be one of those :p In all seriousness though if I was doing large RAM intense work it'd be on something that doesn't use a SD card as storage, as you just can't trust the things! If I was doing that I'd be looking at something like a Odoo as the whole package offers so much more. :)

7. Gareth Halfacree

Then have I got good news for you: you can USB boot from a Raspberry Pi 4 now, no microSD required. (Well, it's in beta now, but a proper release is just around the corner.)

Anecdotally, I've an original pre-launch Raspberry Pi Model B, with 256MB of RAM, sat on top of my monitor. It's been running 24/7 since about a month after launch, from a full-size 4GB SD Card, acting as a server for my IP doorbell, host for a bunch of LEDs that light up when the doorbell triggers, pooled DHCP server, and probably other things I'll forget about until I eventually turn it off and everything breaks. SD Card still works, never had a problem. Guess I'm just lucky!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  8. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Does this mean we will be getting a 64 bit version of Raspbian as current is 32 bit I think?

9. Gareth Halfacree

's in the Twitter thread: 64-bit beta is available now, full release planned as soon as possible. Also, it's "Raspberry Pi OS" now, rather than "Raspbian."

You can still use the 32-bit version, and you'll still get the full 8GB (isn't PAE a wonder?), but you'll hit a 3GB per-process limit.

There are also third-party 64-bit OS options - I've been using Ubuntu, which works great with an Lxde desktop.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Very much so! I use them for embedded applications and SD cards don't like temps above 80-85C, and they're impossible to cool! Its the biggest drawback with them, at least a EMMC chip I can whack a heatsink on!

Edit: also at £70+ thats getting very expensive! Thats £20 or so more than the 4GB one, so a 16GB would be probably around £100, which is far too much in my opinion.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, this ain't been anywhere near those kind of temperatures - you'll definitely want something better for that kind of work!

12. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Thats brilliant, I may finally be able to install a native chef client and link it with the rest of my home automation, Can you feed back to all the guys and gals this is brilliant!

I know one of the core chef developers has been waiting for a 64 bit version for a while :D

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

So much want, but at 80~85€, without any reason to get one except wanting one... ouch.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've had the same original Pi running 24/7 logging solar production for many years without fault. I did take the precaution to log to RAMdisk before copying onto SD card everynight. But the OS and its logging are standard.

With my Home Assistant home automation Pi using Pi4-4GB, I've switched to full on RAMdisk for everything. 8GB would certainly allow installing more add-ons, including high disk space usage ones.

It would be good to have USB boot on future Pi's available as standard. This would allow more streamlined official setup instruction on Home Assistant (rather than having to search for unofficial tutorials) and avoid biggest problem people have with running HA on Pi. By default, the events database is saved on SD card, potentially doing multiple writes per minute, killing SD card afew a few months.

15. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Is it me or does "Raspberry Pi OS" sound like a cheap cider when you say it fast?

16. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I happened to be looking at pi 4's on the pi hut the morning this was announced. I wasn't sure if it was real as I'd heard nothing nor could find anything about the release (it was very early in the morning).

17. Gareth Halfacree

If you saw it pre-0800 BST, then The Pi Hut forgot about the clocks changing and had the server set to GMT/UTC. Makes a change: every other launch it's been Element14 or one of its subsidiaries screwing up and sending it live early!

It will be available as standard - and is already available as standard on the Pi 3 family. The Pi 4 launched without it, but is the first to include an EEPROM that can have new bootloader stuff thrown at it - which is why, since launch, it's received netboot and (beta now, full soon) USB boot. Give it a couple of months, and every Pi 4 you buy will have the new USB-capable bootloader installed as standard.

wyx087 likes this.
  18. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Wish they would release something more integrated (onboard rtc, pmic with bms, etc) in zero/A+ or smaller form factor, rather than just churning out boards with newer cpu's/more ram. Or if they cant be bothered with that, sell older cpus to third parties that would (still bitter about whole odroid-w ordeal).