1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Well today marks 1 yr since I decided to sort some stuff out weight wise.

I set myself a target of dropping 50kgs before my hillclimb and sprinting season started this year, the first event would have been this weekend.

Unfortunately I have failed quite hard in this challenge due to generally being weak and lazy but I have a get out of jail card.....Coronavirus, yay for global pandemics :D :nono: this has basically killed all motorsport until I think end of may, and it seems I can't buy food if I want it anyway.... every cloud and all that :D

I did manage to loose 43kg, so not too bad, lets see if I can get that 7kg before things normalize, this will be tricky as I am now at home with the family and not really leaving the house, which raises stress levels and my compulsion to eat, so need to try and motivate myself to do some exercise in house as the gym thing I had finally started to do is off also....bugger.

Arboreal, theshadow2001, Yaka and 2 others like this.
  2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Wow. Congratulations. Keep up the great work

sandys likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Dude, you lost half a person. Congrats. :clap:

sandys likes this.
  4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I would say 85% of your original target is better than 'not bad,' especially when your target was massive to begin with.

If you really want to flog yourself there's always the One Punch Man workout, it's both a complete meme and very effective, just be careful not to hurt yourself doing it.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2020
    LennyRhys and sandys like this.
  5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'll have a look at one punch man, it will be a challenge to do 100 sit ups though, I have never done one ...... I tried it and I basically just end up moving my head :D I'll need to work up to it, I'll add it to my achievement list.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Tried on a pair of trousers and jeans from days gone by.

Both went on, both top buttons did up without a gut hanging over and I could both sit down in them and use the pockets.

Result. :thumb:

#newmanoldclothes

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Well, seems to be coming down, I'm 187.2lbs, 84.9kg, 13.37 stone. An all I've done is cut portion size slightly, don't feel any more hungry. An now as we're all likely in lock down soon I'll be on the static bike daily so it should come down more.

sandys likes this.
  8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Decided I'm bored of being a porker, so it's back on the weight loss train - only this time I'm determined not to derail again.

Been doing it for nearly a month now: rough calorie counting, to the nearest hundred, with daily weigh-ins charted using the oh-so-90s Hacker's Diet Online - and also doing 5BX, or at least the Hacker's Diet variant thereof. On rung four of the introductory ladder - the blue line on the chart.

[​IMG]

Diamonds are my actual weight; yellow diamonds are the days I picked up the weights in the office for a bit. Dashed line is a target trendline to have hit my target weight by the end of September; red line is a weighted moving average of my actual weight. Caloric deficit figure is calculated entirely from the amount of weight I'm losing.

MLyons and sandys like this.
  9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Looking good, I've a bit derailed since lockdown, too much sitting around and chomping no excuse for it really, muppet :duh: I should probably start to look at calories vs expenditure.

MLyons likes this.
  10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Easily done - I went from being vaguely fit but still overweight to pre-obese (by BMI, which granted isn't the best measure - but I'm definitely carrying excess timber) and completely unfit. Hopefully fixing both of those now!

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

You could market your plan as The Geek's Weight Loss & Fitness Plan

12. Gareth Halfacree

I think John Walker, founder of Autodesk and former chubster, beat me to it. Like, in the 90s.

13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

But, your's would be new and shiny! Rake in the dosh.

14. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I really need/want to lose some weight (admittedly i have lost almost a stone, ~5kg, since lockdown started, primarily 'cos i'm not snacking), but i just cant find the time to exercise between looking after kids, working and trying to vaguely keep on top of housework; nor am inclined to reduce how much I eat as i barely have enough energy as it is :(

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Are you really in a 1200 calorie daily deficit?

16. Gareth Halfacree

So my weight loss would suggest, yes. I'm eating about 1,800 calories a day, give or take, which means my daily burn is somewhere around 3,000 calories. Interestingly, this is exactly what my cheap "body analyser" scales say - they put my maintenance intake at around 3,000 calories too. I'm guessing as I get closer to my goal weight my caloric requirements will reduce, so I'll either have to eat less or accept a smaller deficit and take longer to lose the last bit. We'll see!

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I struggled with a 600 to 700 deficit. So 1200 must be pretty hard. Good work on your progress so far.

I'm up a few kilos, about 3 or so. Probably doesn't seem a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Some of it is definitely muscle, I can see it on my body and some of it is fat. I've been tempted just to go get my body fat measured so I can keep an eye on things. Maybe do it once a year. There's a place near by that can do it. I would like more muscle which ultimately means going up in weight, which is also very counter-intuitive.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Ta! It's not been too bad: I've basically cut out snacking, especially the reflexive "I'm in the kitchen therefore I should open a cupboard or the fridge and eat something regardless of whether I'm hungry or not," and mostly cut out drinking - which accounts for the bulk of the calories. The rest is pretty much just portion control - and not going back for seconds, which I was a devil for, nor finishing off whatever's left on the kids' plates when they're done!

An average day looks like:
    • Breakfast: 200-300 calories of breakfast bar, or some stupid meal replacement shake I bought last time I was losing weight and still haven't finished mostly 'cos it just tastes of aspartame.
    • Mid-morning snack, if required: 50-100 calories of banana, apple, or whatever.
    • Lunch: Eyeballed 300-500 calorie portion of whatever everyone else is eating. Some sort of delicious biscuit or packet of crisps as a treat, 100-200 calories on top.
    • Dinner: Eyeballed 300-500 calorie portion of whatever everyone else is eating, plus a dessert or snack or alcohol to make up the total to 1800ish calories.
    I don't really feel that hungry during the day, though I do feel hungry when I go to bed - but I just ignore it until breakfast time!

19. Gareth Halfacree

Hit an annoying plateau - haven't shifted more than 100g in either direction for the last five days. The trend line is still downwards, though, and that's keeping my spirits up!

20. DanH

DanH What's a Dremel?

I have gained weight in lockdown probably like most but been trying to use best saber daily its quite a workout and I enjoy it. Next step is I will need to try stop eating junk food