1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Blu & Red Aluminium - Sponsored by Gelid - Updated 27/03

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sam__, 15 Apr 2020.

1. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Looks great keep going :rock:

Sam__ likes this.
  2. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Turns out the brackets have just enough material to tap. Might try that out first.

3. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

So, what to do first with these fans. The only logical thing... replace the PSU fan! Spent about 20mins before this cleaning all of the dust out of the PSU, it was on the bottom of my previous case sucking everything out of the carpet. Disgusting.

Take the grill off.
    [​IMG]

Void the warranty, although I'm pretty sure than ran out a while ago.
    [​IMG]

Check to make sure the new fan is a good fit.
    [​IMG]

Of course the pin out of the fan is different to a normal PWM fan. AND the connector is different.
    [​IMG]

Had to get the oscilloscope on the pins to see which was which and luckily had some molex crimp pins the right size to transfer the fan wires to the PSU connector.
    [​IMG]

Plugged in and verified working.
    [​IMG]

All back together. Looks a lot smarter doesn't it! Also is a lot quieter.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to Gelid for supplying the goodies!
    [​IMG]

Arboreal and kim like this.
  4. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

So this is a fun one...

Firstly enjoy the beautiful Gelid Radiant D fans.
    [​IMG]

In my enthusiasm for the RGB Radiant D fans I may have been hot swapping them on the COD16 controller and touched the data line of the RGB controls on the 12V line for the fans motor. As you may have already concluded this did not end well. Some of the LEDs immediately turned off and then none of them turned back on when the connector was re-seated. This required some investigative work to find the issue.

Prepped for surgery:
    [​IMG]

There was a really awkward retention washer. Took a lot of patients and some good tweezer work to remove.
    [​IMG]

We're in!
    [​IMG]

Well there's your problem sir...
    [​IMG]

Four of the LEDs were burned out. And because they are in series. like Christmas tree lights, none work if the first one's duff. So by shorting the dead ones I managed to prove the good ones were fully operational.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now I'm waiting on some replacement WS2812B's to arrive and I'll pop the bad ones off and throw the new ones on. Should be good as new.

Thanks again to Gelid for supplying the goodies!
    [​IMG]

5. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Big update time:

Here's a mock up of the rear of the case with the PSU panel and PCI & I/O panel in place. A few extra USB ports on the lower left, because I use a LOT of USB apparently. Along with a 140mm exhaust fan. Gelid Silent 14 of course.
    [​IMG]

Another mock up of the reservoirs in place using the mounting bracket made earlier. Just imagine these twice as tall as some 300mm reservoirs are on the way! These two smaller ones may find their way somewhere else in the case when the big ones arrive.
    [​IMG]

Both of the radiators were pretty bashed up so I felt they deserved a new coat of paint. Here you can see the damage to the 420mm EK rad.
    [​IMG]

All taped up and ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Looking a hell of a lot better.
    [​IMG]

The 360mm rad was also gloss black so it needed painting anyway.
    [​IMG]

Planning out the rest of the loop using old tubing got a bit busy so some 90 degree angles are on the way, which should make it a lot better.
    [​IMG]

Who wants a screen on their case! An old tablet I've not used in years will be used to show temps and fans speeds etc.
    [​IMG]

The tablet was white, so like everything else, had to be painted!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a mock up with a lot of the panel in place. Still not sure which paint scheme to use in the end. Will see what inspires me on the day.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to Gelid for the support!
    [​IMG]

MADPC likes this.
  6. kim

kim hardware addict

good job on the fan's fixing, soldering such tiny RGB leds is never an easy job, but you practised already so...patience pays off :thumb:, ...I'm wondering :idea:...what will you use to send datas to the tablet ? wifi ? I was myself trying to gather some knowledge about the different ways to link an old tablet to a PC...:rollingeyes:

7. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

I found an app called Wiredxdisplay, which allows you to use a tablet as a monitor via a wired USB connection. So I plan to use that along with Rainmeter. Not sure on what skin to use for Rainmeter yet, will figure that out at the end I think. Tempted to use the same one as the IBUYPOWER Snowblind case does.

kim likes this.
  8. kim

kim hardware addict

fine, thank you, I see what you're talking about, I didn't test it yet though... Rainmeter is the ultimate software for this, I experienced some troubles to scale the skins sometimes but it's a great soft, some are using NZXT-CAM too

Sam__ likes this.
  9. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

It just struck me how beastly this build is ! The back with the new cutouts looks the money shot , Love the idea with the old tablet !

Might give rainmeter a try too :) ive heard some stuff saying NZXT cam is full of crap.....? been using spacedesk with a old S2 over wifi works pretty well !

Sam__ likes this.
  10. MADPC

MADPC Minimodder

interesting I follow this thread :)

Sam__ likes this.
  11. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Yes is it a big one! I love having space in a case, and why not make a feature of it!

Update:
    Done a little priming today and put all the panels in the case to get a feel for how it's going to look. Also glued on the magnets for the GPU window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 May 2020
    MADPC likes this.
  12. 4LIEN

4LIEN Modder

Good work here! it's interesting the tablet for temps, i want to see how you connect to the computer!
    Also good choose the 140mm fan for PSU

Sam__ likes this.
  13. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Hopefully via USB cable using wiredxdisplay andriod app.

Update time:
    The Gelid Radiant-D fan repair conclusion. The replacement LEDs arrived.
    [​IMG]

Removed and cleaned up all the broken LEDs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitted the new ones. Pretty cool to see the internal controller using the macro lens.
    [​IMG]

All up and working first time!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheapskate, Guest-44638 and kim like this.
  14. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Update on the VEGA56 watercooling.

This has been a bit of a saga unfortunately. So I decided to make a custom shroud to be able to re-use the stock fan alongside the water block on the GPU. This would also allow for some nice RGB to be mounted around the GPU. Here's how it went.

Cut the acrylic to size:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Add some heat and bend it into shape.
    [​IMG]

Cut a hole for the water block. At this point I totally forgot that the mounting hardware would interfere with the shroud so had not cut holes.
    [​IMG]

Cut a rough hole for the fan.
    [​IMG]

Tidy everything up and it's looking quite nice.
    [​IMG]

The most satisfying part. Sanding to create the satin finish. Went with 400 grit to get a really smooth finish.
    [​IMG]

At this point I realised the mounting hardware had not been accounted for so had to make adjustments.
    [​IMG]

The final result:
    [​IMG]

I think it looks awesome and with some RGB behind it will glow beautifully.

Only one problem. When I went to put this ex-mining (most likely the cause) card back on the motherboard to leak test it... error 43 (something went wrong), the most generic of them all. There is an output to one screen but not multiple monitors and nothing 3D can be done. Okay I thought, this can be solved. After spending 16 hours over 2 days trying absolutely everything on any forum or article I could find about removing drivers and fresh windows installs, even trying Ubuntu at one point, I gave up and declared it RIP. All this work and nothing to show :(.

So the hunt is on for a new GPU. For which I will plan to make a similar shroud depending on what cooling is already installed. This time I'll be well practiced and better at it!

[​IMG]

15. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

Strange hybrid. :eeek::idea:

Sam__ likes this.
  16. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Thanks I think :).

The idea was to use the stock heat spreader and fan to keep the MOSFETs etc cool. To save the effort of adding individual heatsinks for each component.

17. kim

kim hardware addict

Sorry for your dead GPU, perhaps mining put it under strain a bit too much :idea:, yet, I was puzzled to see such an hybrid Vega 56, you did a good job with the shroud and block's fitting, it's a pity :sad:, on another hand, Vega56 waterblocks can be found around 100 (euros/dollars)...it might worth it if you consider the amount of work and passion you put into this build...IMO :worried:

Sam__ and censored_Prometheus_ like this.
  18. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Minimodder

Passive radiators are usually sufficient for MOSFETs. :dremel::hip:

Sam__ likes this.
  19. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

Thanks. It did take a lot of effort but I have to admit I enjoyed the process. Unfortunately now I'm having to buy a replacement graphics card I'll not have the budget for a 'proper' GPU block. So will still be using the EK Supreme CPU block for the GPU core.

20. Sam__

Sam__ Minimodder

I would usually agree but I felt like going overboard on this one just in case I wanted to put an overclock on it and not have to worry. Alas, I will not get the chance.