1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Jam Packed - InWin A1 Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 5 Feb 2020.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

*Pushing on the PCIE mount.
    Mosquito: "Yeah, It totally fits." :lol:

cobalt6700 likes this.
  2. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

lol Because of the bevel on the edge of the Hardware labs radiators, it's not actually touching anything, it's just REALLY close lol It's just the little clip that snaps over the back part of the card/riser to hold it in place that will hit

[​IMG]

3. Mosquito

Howdy!

Part 4 of the video series is up, and tacking how to mount dual GPUs in this thing

So, the starting point was one of Bill's (MNPCTech) Stage 1 vertical GPU bracket

[​IMG]

Thought about trying to mod my hardware to make them both single slot cards, but instead decided to prototype a dual GPU mount in the same idea. Mounts in a 120mm fan spot, holds 2 GPUs. First prototype out of MDF

[​IMG]

Instead of a slitting saw to make a slot for the bottom of the PCI covers, I just cut a recess and use screws + washers to hold the GPUs against it

[​IMG]

Then back to the CNC to make one out of acrylic, using threaded inserts since I didn't have a tap the right size at the time (later fixed that problem)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, this one worked well, so I made one out of aluminum intended as the final

[​IMG]

Drilled and tapped all the holes for this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this worked great!

[​IMG]

However, it only worked great for the GTX 760s... My Vega 56 Nano's that I've decided to switch to, are a little taller, and as such they are too tall with this bracket... Dang it!

[​IMG]

So.... slight redesign, to drop the GPUs down a little bit (it was already mounted as low in the 120mm slots as I could get it)

[​IMG]

And this was just enough to drop it down below the top

[​IMG]

Then I cut out the raised mesh from the fan hole in the cases (Video Only, subscribe to my OnlyFans to see that... /kidding)
    But anyway, then I made a cover plate to go over the ugly, since I had to cut out more mesh than I needed to for the GPU mount, so I could keep it flat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And installed that in the case to get an idea of what it'll look like

[​IMG]

And.... that will pretty much do it for this time around :)

4. Cheapskate

It looks like you figured out your cut issues on the 2nd one.

5. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Really nice!

6. Mosquito

lol yes, went in to that a little in the video, it was set up way too aggressive in the first aluminum one. Also took apart the z-axis carriage and tightened things up a little, as some of the V-wheels had worked a little loose. Also adjusted the tool paths a little too, with actual finishing paths and what not

Thanks!

Osgeld likes this.
  7. Mosquito

So it's time to take a look at the reservoir/pump in this thing, and make a first pass at getting that figured out. Also a quick mock with some other stuff to see just how things are fitting in there

upload_2020-5-19_14-48-45.gif
    Not too many pictures for this one, basically just drilled and tapped a hole in my Watercool pump top reservoir so I could have a different port location on it for having return to the pump there, or a fill/drain port later. Will also be thinking about a custom res+pump combo for this thing too...

Thanks for checking it out, hopefully back soon with another installment

8. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

Looks great :thumb:
    Is this your own cnc?:dremel:

9. ciaognep

ciaognep Minimodder

very small case work well done :rock::rock::rock::rock:

10. Mosquito

Thanks! Yeah, this is a CNC I got about 7 months ago. Still learning a lot :eeek:

Thanks, the small cases are often my favorites, I enjoy the challenge :dremel:

11. ivory2k19

ivory2k19 Minimodder

nice machine, maybe one day :hehe:

12. ciaognep

ciaognep Minimodder

I see...

13. kim

kim hardware addict

lovely build....the GPU bracket is insane :rock:

14. Mosquito

That's what I kept telling myself, for like 5 years lol Finally managed to save up enough to buy the CNC last year. Too many other things kept taking priority before it :)

Thanks, it's the key to the whole mod, otherwise it would have just been a single vertical GPU lol

15. Cheapskate

2" plexi? DO IT!

16. Mosquito

I plead the 5th lol :grin:

17. Mosquito

Another update, this time trying to figure out which top window I should go with

upload_2020-6-2_18-59-48.gif

For the first top panel, I painted it white on the top and the bottom. This was the one that had the magnets on the bottom, so I didn't want to see that through the clear acrylic

[​IMG]

I put a small bevel around both of these with a router to match up better to the I/O panel

[​IMG]

The second top panel was painted with a metallic silver on just the back side of the panel. This one didn't have magnets so I could get away with that

[​IMG]

Same bevel on this one, and I really like the way this one looks, but I'm not quite sure it fits with the case that great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sooo yeah. I'm not sure, I think I'm leaning towards the white top panel, but haven't completely decided yet. Could always paint other parts to make it go a little better, I suppose.

kim and ivory2k19 like this.
  18. idpcmods

idpcmods Minimodder

The whites a better fit, the silver seems like it conflicts the brushed aluminium... If you had a darker shade the brushed effect can be achieved with paint which I feel would look killer

Mosquito likes this.
  19. Cheapskate

Let the paint set up really well, then mill some speed grooves with your smallest bit. Then paint it again with a slightly darker silver.

20. Mosquito

Thanks! Not a bad idea

Hmm... paint/clear has been cured for a while now, so that should be ok... I might have to give this some though, as I was also trying to come up with something to do with the back cover plate for the dual GPU mount as well
    [​IMG]