1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Any 2080Ti to keep an eye out for? Upgrade from 1080Ti

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dynamis_dk, 4 Jun 2020.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

I'm giving some thought to upgrading to a 2080Ti maybe but from a quick google I can see there is a fair old range so wondered if there are any pitfalls I should keep an eye out for?

I'm gonna be watercooling it so if it comes with an EK block or takes on of EK's offerings then that should do me.

I was wondering if a move to a 2080Ti is the right move or get another 1080Ti and SLI em. I'm thinking that'll be the cheaper option initially but there is gonna be more heat to deal with, possible compatability with games (now had SLI for years so not sure if much changed. Was twin 980's last time around) and 2080Ti gives RTX which might not hurt.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Rumour has it that we are mere months away from new GPU releases, if you are looking at 2080Ti you'll probably have decent budget for the next big thing that drops, 1080Ti should keep you happy until then.

Hard not to scratch that upgrade itch though, been fighting the same thoughts too.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Best cards to go for when watercooling are ones with stock reference boards. Will be guaranteed to be able to get a block then.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

SLI is basically dead, so don't do that.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

With 1080tis going on Fleabay for £400+ it would better to put it towards the 2080ti.

6. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Cheers guys, I might look to get it listed for the next ebay £1 weekend then and try to maximise return / head start on its replacement. As much as I would love to hold out till the next wave comes, I'm not sure I'm gonna last a few months, when I get the itch to buy I just cant sit still lol

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

This.

Otherwise, choice is mostly down to aesthetics. In terms of board hardware, the stock 2080Ti is already so massively overbuilt that in terms of OC capability that even subambient cooling and hardware voltmodding achieves marginal-at-best performance gains (). The stock card is already at the die limits, and mainly gains from memory OC.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've got a block here for a stock Ti (2080Ti). Never used, I can do a special price on it. LMK what you get and I will chuck it on the market place.

Oh, and SLi is dead. As a dodo. I would have probably gotten another TXP if it worked.