1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU What's the go-to value CPU for 1080p 60FPS these days? (w/ DDR3 RAM)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oscy, 4 Jun 2020.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

Update: All bought:

3600 (£164), MSI B450M MORTAR MAX (£96), 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance (£65) = £325

Selling my CPUs, RAM and dodgy boards should make back half that.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: 5 Jun 2020
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Ryzen 3600 @ ~£170 plus a B450 board... iirc was the go-to bang for buck combo last I saw...

whether that's still the case, not sure.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Or Ryzen 3 3100 (4c, 8t) and a Asus B-450-F comes to £223, and would allow you a lot of upgrades in the future. Cheapest 2x8GB DDR4 is £50. I know its breaking your budget, but this is what you want to be looknig at. Don't go for anythine else, its a waste of money.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2020
  4. oscy

oscy Modder

Ryzen 3X and B450 are coming up in a lot of answers!

5. RedFlames

bc of underlying layout differences isn't the 3300x worth the extra £20? [iirc, if you can ofc]

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

According to part picker its more like £45 odd.

7. oscy

oscy Modder

Which B450 mobo would I even go for? The tier list doesn't make sense to me with talk of maxing out and draw and not sure what I should be going for.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The one I suggested is regarded as one of the best for the money :) Plus it has enough power delivery that you could go to a top tier Ryzen without issue. Some if the cheaper boards have problems with VRM overheating.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Some of the low end board VRMs aren't actually that bad, researched when I bought my daughters board, and only really problematic when overclocking, but as you don't really get anything from Ryzen overclocking unless you are doing something highly threaded, most chips are best keft to their own devices and OCing is more for personal enjoyment than anything else.

I got the cheapo asrock b450M £55, £50 for RAM and then what ever chip you can find to drop in, 3100 is £100, so that is £205 all in, you are golden, no need to go with old stuff, though obviously you might find better chip for £100 secondhand, maybe, but looking at Ebay, there don't appear yo be any deals, I would only go higher end if your plan is to buy top end chips and need that delivery or some specific features, but this board will be fine with many of the current chips if run stock, but if you are never going highend due to budget constraints and personal requirements. don't be put of by lower end.

https://www.techspot.com/bestof/amd-b450-motherboards/

VRM list, with tables showing chips VRMs are suitable for in stock form and OC.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281

Page explaining VRM list

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c7qj5e/am4_vcore_vrm_ratings_to_help_you_decide_on_a/

Looking at that list the Asus B-450-F is less capable out of the box VRM wise than my cheapo Asrock .

Last edited: 5 Jun 2020
  10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Interesting! I always heard the opposite!

Either way to OP, the B550 boards will be releasing soon and that may cause the B450 boards to drop in price a little, so it may be worth waiting as they're dropping any week now.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup I would typically recommend buying the latest and greatest as it will generally conform to whatever the latest revisions of standards/specs are known but when needs must then there is no problem going with older gear so long as you understand its limitations.

12. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Thought it was the Asus strix B450 - E that was the good one, and the F had the more gimped power stages and was essentially overpriced ? (might have it the wrong way round in my head though - i do know the E variant was a chunk more cash too).

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Going by the chart Sandys linked too they're basically the same. Maybe it was the X470-F I'm thinking of...

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So comparing that list This at £150 is the best x570 board for the lowest price. I still think wait for B550 and see how the dust settles after that :)

15. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I too think that would be the best course of action for the OP - if it isn't a do it NOW ! situation.

16. oscy

oscy Modder

Problem is I'm currently using an abused (hey, previous owner), bugged, notorious old board that also smells of burning when you use all the RAM bays... so I don't wanna risk using it too long!

How much of a price decrease are we expecting for 450s? If it's only around £10 then it's no big deal. £40 then sure, maybe.

I hear the MSI ones are a bit unreliable regarding drivers and people need to use 3rd party software.

If I upgrade, I'll be getting the 3300x as it's £120 NEW, and presumably that's better than a 3100, 2xxx or any other lower number!

So really the only pain if I do get is figuring out the right board and sifting through the generic zillion repeat Ebay listings of RAM (apparently 3000MHz is good?).

17. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

B450? Nope, MSI are probably one of your best bets for a B450. I looked into it a fair bit when picking up my Mortar Max.

Mine has had regular bios and driver updates.

Buildzoid did a roundup for GamersNexus (B450 starts 8:01)

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  18. RedFlames

Get 3200 if you can, 3000 will do if you can't.

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I love those videos!

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

B450 will not decrease yet, because B550 are literally 30% more expensive. As such they may have done that so that the B450 sell out, then maybe the B550 prices will come down. That may be why B550 are more expensive, so that the B450 boards sell.

TBH? I don't mean to be horrible when I say this (Because I know a lot of what I say often comes out the wrong way) but a B450 board is more than sufficient for you, given the price bracket you are buying in. It still leaves you a ton of upgrade options on the CPU really. And it will be the CPUs that drop in price when the next gen comes. AMD might even keep producing the 3000 series CPUs but drop the price. The more I hear about the 4000 and how amazing it is the more I grow concerned that the prices are going to be really high. If it's true that they basically nail Intel everywhere, even in games, and will do so for at least two years? yeah, I fear we are about to enter the AMD domination era where their CPUs grow more expensive by the day.

But aye, TL;DR B450 is more than adequate for you, especially compared to the platform you are coming from.