1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

How about this cheeky git that inquired about a sofa I was giving away for free, if it wasn't taken I was going to take it to the skip site instead:

[​IMG]

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I don't have Monzo, but opted for Starling as their currency abroad limits were higher, same impressive setup as far as I can see.
    When I pay in to Starling at the PO, my phone beeps before the paper receipt appears!

My wife used it in SE Asia last year travelling, and it was great to know instantly that a zillion Dong in Vietnam was what you'd hoped you'd taken out of the ATM in pounds!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Cheeky bugger. We didn't get any takers for two free leather sofas.

Had to pay the council to take them, after we took all the leather seats with us. I intend* to make something with them.

*Intend means, as usual, they stay in my loft for several years

4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Are Curve/Monzo similar to privacy.com?

5. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Feeling the need to start a thread/ask advice but since doing so will p!ss off most - if not all - of the active membership here I can't.

Besides - poor people can't afford advice, n/m PC parts... other peoples' time is too precious.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Monzo and Starling are banks. The difference to 'traditional' banks is in the technology: everything is online, often without even having physical branches, and in Monzo's case you can't even use a web browser to access your account, you have to use their app (I can't speak for Starling, I'm with Monzo). But transactions are instantaneous, there's none of this 'reserved funds' or 'pending payment' nonsense, and (if you choose to) you can get instant notifications about account transactions. You make a payment and that amount is deducted from your balance immediately and your phone tells you about the transaction instantly - as others mention, you often get the notification before the till even confirms that the payment was approved. When companies do checks on your card - such as Google or Amazon verifying that the card you've entered is a real and active card - you also get notified of that.

If someone is using your Monzo card details without your knowledge then you're going to know about those transactions straight away, you don't have to audit all the transactions on your statement to make sure you know what they are.

Curve however definitely sounds similar to what privacy.com seem to advertise.

IanW and Bloody_Pete like this.
  7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Bank accounts are like PC's; I'm lucky I have either.
    ... like First Direct...

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The only reason Monzo's are lower now is because people abused it heavily a few years back and they lost a load of money :p It was unlimited to begin with...

Arboreal likes this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just to add to this, I have a Natwest account and a Monzo. I use my monzo as a 'top-up' account, so I can budget a bit better and track everything more. Bills from natwest, spending from monzo :)

10. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

I do the same with my Revolut.

11. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Starting to come to the realisation that my time hear is over... to be honest, most of the bad times here have been of my own making, but even that far outweighs the fun I've had.

By his own admission, @MLyons will have an easier time w/o me here; many others will be able to sleep more restfully knowing they'll never see another post from me.

12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Don’t be glum old buddy old pal, look. this is the ruining thread and tends to be a bone of contention on what’s worth morning about in life. #firstworldproblems

I’m named in a tag and it’s been like that for almost a decade now. I’m forever known as that angsty moaning little bitch who can never stop posting really trivial moans to everyone’s annoyance. At one time multiple times daily...

you’re literally fine, i have no idea what posts you have done that appear to have caused issue.

if you ever want a vent, advice or opinion throw me a message. don’t bottle it up

perplekks45 and Arboreal like this.
  13. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Most of it goes back the full 10-11 years - I'm going full GDPR as I type.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

We do exactly the same. "Personal spending" and the shopping account are all Monzo, but the "main" account where both our wages go and all the bills are paid from is a Lloyds account. *Much* easier to track budgets & bills and make sure that you can't accidentally eat into your bill money by spending too much at the supermarket :thumb:.

Two of the most contentious threads here are this one and the Demote thread. Back when he was a regular staff member & moderator, Gareth's pet peeve was the Demote thread - so many posts from that thread get reported...

15. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Yeah, but there's plenty here that get that kind of humour... and I'd rather not be seen as someone responsible for the 'Reported Posts' load being as hefty as it is.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Playing the new C&C remaster and I keep getting awful lag, like the most will lock up for a second. It makes the game awful to play. Its a problem that comes and goes, I think the CPU, MB on this build are a bit borked in some way. Resisting the urge to rage buy parts to upgrade, just got to wait till the 16th for B550... But its so so annoying! My mouse even lags just in windows at times. Even weirder, as I sit here with just Firefox open (with a lot of tabs yes, but most are dormant) my machine is using 9.5GB of RAM... but in task manager the only large user is Firefox at 3.5GB, to thats worrying...

Edit: closing firefox shows my machine to be idling at 5.5GB of RAM usage, is that normal?

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

@Jeff Hine saying they're leaving and I may have had a part :( :sigh:

18. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

You're not part of why I'm leaving; but my leaving will lessen the no. of reported posts you have to deal with... hopefully.

19. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Surely you could just post less if you wanted to, isn't a binary system.

For me had an awful interview yesterday, wasn't that fussed about the job in particular (aero/defense), but since I have exactly been inundated with offers etc slightly annoying.

Bloody_Pete and Arboreal like this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Now, now don't be a silly billy. You're not allowed to leave the table yet, you've not eaten all your vegetables.

Now let's stop this silly talk shall we? How about a cup of tea. 100% the remedy to all issues. :happy:

IanW, DeadP1xels, perplekks45 and 2 others like this.